*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lowering kit for a Connect

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Lowering kit for a Connect

Postby Neilb67 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:01 am

Hi guys, bought my Connect a few months ago and have been hovering on the forum since then. I've been reading all the posts on lowering a Connect and I am going to have a go in the next few weeks to do it to mine. Im lucky enough to work for a motorsport team and have access to all the equipment and suppliers to do the job. Once ive done the conversion I was looking and getting a kit together for other people who don't have this facility. I plan to get all the rear brackets laser cut and fabricated but obviously I will have to get a batch done to reach the minimum order from the laser cutters.

The one thing I would like to ask others about the front mod is does the van sit right on the road with the RS springs or would the ride height need to be changed to make the van sit right. I ask this as I will be getting springs made so it will be a direct replacement for the original.

So before I get things started I'm just after some advice off people who have done the mod what they would like.
Neilb67
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Lowering kit for a Connect

Postby dodgy20 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:19 am

I can't answer your question but put me on your list once you've got the kit sorted :D
T200L 75PS,Tuned by Vantuner,K&N Panel Filter,LED Side lights,Smoked Side Repeaters,Good Tunes.....
dodgy20
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mattvik30 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:50 am

put me on your list too! Also i dont think the rs springs lower the van enough, so i reckon the front springs would have to be a bit lower.

Im sure you will sell alot of these kits if the price is reasonable.
Tourneo connect 90ps Remapped by Vantuner, Mondy interior handles, Full SS exhaust with pptuning de-cat, Chrome Sportvan Grille, Fiesta St Seats, Dvd Player with Kenwood speakers,
Clear Side Repeaters, K&N Air Filter, Sportvan Sideskirts
mattvik30
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Transit-Tom » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:11 pm

Soud good.

As I said in another thread a kit for a connect will make big £££. I think the rallydesign front set up will be the best.
Transit-Tom
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NikFrisbee » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:57 pm

Add me to the kit list
220LX-110psTuningBox-PP Decat Pipe-LongLife SS Exhaust TwinTailPipe-K&N Filter-18'' STAlloys-Heated Screen/Mirrors-TOAD-Mk3MondyHandles-Zetec S SteeringWheel-BlackRearLights-RS FocusCenter Console-FactoryFittedFord SatNav/SportsVanFacia
NikFrisbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby The_C » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Also interested in a kit if you will make them avaiable :D
The_C
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Kent Discos » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:40 pm

and another here!
Jack Wilson | 2017 Transit Custom 290 130PS from Absolute Vans
Kent Media Group - http://www.kentmediagroup.co.uk | Kent Discos - http://www.kentdiscos.me.uk
Kent Discos
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mattvik30 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:35 pm

so thats pretty much 5 or 6 kits sold already!
Tourneo connect 90ps Remapped by Vantuner, Mondy interior handles, Full SS exhaust with pptuning de-cat, Chrome Sportvan Grille, Fiesta St Seats, Dvd Player with Kenwood speakers,
mattvik30
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neilb67 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:59 pm

Right, seems to be some interest then. I spoke to the spring guys this morning and im going to get a standard spring and a RS spring over to them and they are going to produce a sample pair for me to try on a van so we get the ride height right. So I could do with some feed back from guys who have used the RS spring to let me know if their happy with the ride height they have.
Should get the rear plate drawn up tomorrow and email the file to the laser cutters for a quote this week.
Neilb67
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mylee » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:27 pm

Yep I'm interested as well. Your laser cut plates will be neater than my 'cut by hand' plates :D

As well as the plates, you need some fill-in pieces to weld between the plates the beam for strength. It is also advisable to have some plates for the rear leaf mount so the height can be adjusted to avoid the arse down stance that we have seen on here a few times. It appears that not all connects lower the same amount at the rear, probably to do with what loads the leafs have had to put up with in their life.

Interesting view on the springs. I have a set of MK1 RS waiting to go on. But would be interested in some if your having them made, especially if they are lower than the standard RS ones with the same sort of lb rating. This subject has been thrown about many times on here and I always wondered why no-one has tried after market lowered MK1 RS springs for the lower stance?

I have plenty of pictures of the different types of plates people have used along with the height plates if your interested.

Look forward to your results :D
Mylee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ginsters » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:18 pm

the red ones go faster...

53 plate 75ps lwb
vantunner remap and all the other jazz

unfortunately the doors aint as great as the caddy

north wales where the the men are men and the sheep are scared!
ginsters
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mattvik30 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:34 pm

Im sure someone contacted them a while back, but there kit was a one off and they dont plan to produce them for sale.

It would be perfect if we could get coilovers on the front and then a plate made for the back, so when we need to we can raise the front coilovers and put the leaf springs back in the original place on top.
mattvik30
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kent Discos » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:35 pm

that's nice but couldn't see that carrying much weight though!

can't make my mind up if i think its too low or not
Jack Wilson | 2017 Transit Custom 290 130PS from Absolute Vans
Kent Media Group - http://www.kentmediagroup.co.uk | Kent Discos - http://www.kentdiscos.me.uk
Kent Discos
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ginsters » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:44 pm

these guys made the ford express ones
http://www.olguncelik.com.tr/EN/index.php

i might do the front when i do the bumper but ive no intrested in the back i think it looks overloaded?
it handles ok so theres no reason there...
the red ones go faster...

53 plate 75ps lwb
vantunner remap and all the other jazz

unfortunately the doors aint as great as the caddy

north wales where the the men are men and the sheep are scared!
ginsters
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dodgy20 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:05 pm

If you do end up doing a kit for this. Would it be supply only or supply+Fit. If so where are you based ?
T200L 75PS,Tuned by Vantuner,K&N Panel Filter,LED Side lights,Smoked Side Repeaters,Good Tunes.....
dodgy20
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Transit Connect