*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Petrol in the Diesel Tank what should I do

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Petrol in the Diesel Tank what should I do

Postby wot » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:29 pm

Hello folks, I've a 2007 mwb panel van that was filled with fuel on it's way home this evening. Only problem being it's full of petrol. It ran home so I guess it's been burning the remaining diesel in the pipes.
Whats the best approach to this to get the van back on the road in the morning. Needless to say my usually very diligent driver is looking pretty red faced at the moment.

How do I drain the tank? Can it be siphoned. I have a new fuel filter for it.
wot
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Petrol in the Diesel Tank what should I do

Postby Honey monster » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:45 pm

Syphon the tank if you can, We usually put an electric pump on the feed pipe from the tank to the fuel filter, Change fuel filter,Fill new filter with DIESEL :lol: before refitting, Fill fuel tank with DIESEL :wink: and I would crack injector pipes and crank it over first then tighten and start motor. O and cross your fingers and smack your self in the face three times for beeing a silly boy.
Honey monster
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby wot » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:53 pm

Honey monster wrote:Syphon the tank if you can, We usually put an electric pump on the feed pipe from the tank to the fuel filter, Change fuel filter,Fill new filter with DIESEL :lol: before refitting, Fill fuel tank with DIESEL :wink: and I would crack injector pipes and crank it over first then tighten and start motor. O and cross your fingers and smack your self in the face three times for beeing a silly boy.

Just crawled under there for a look. There's a rubber hose from the filler pipe connected to the tank, that'd empty it pretty quick but what a mess. I don't have access to an electric pump is that a garage specific item? I will make sure to refill with DIESEL :wink: and the lad who was driving won't forget this for a while. :lol: Pretty damn cold this evening to be at this sort of activity :(
wot
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby professor matt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:59 pm

I usually just undo the pipe from the filler to the tank from the filler side.have a few large green gardening buckets and empty it that way
R35 GT-R BLACK EDITION/R34 GT-R V-SPEC/TURBOCHARGED BMW 5 SERIES/TURBOCHARGED E30 M3 TRACKCAR PROJECT
STILL CHOOSE THE TRANSIT AS MY DAILY DRIVER :)
FASTEST STOCK TURBO R35 GT-R IN EUROPE 10.7@131MPH
professor matt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Honey monster » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:03 pm

The electric pump we use is just a fuel pump off a car, Think ours is off a vaux astra with 2x 3ft long pipes each end, One to go in the tank to syphon or to go on fuel pipe on filter housing and the other end we stick in a 5gall jar to hold the contaminated fuel. You could try to syphon it with a clear pipe down the filler pipe and a good suck.
Honey monster
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby wot » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Thanks folks, problem solved. Opened the filler pipe at the cap side as suggested, drained it all out into a barrell, new DIESEL in, new filter, cracked the injector inlets, turned it over a few times, tightened the injector inlets and it fired up 1st time.
Ford Transits are great vans. :D
wot
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits