*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Instrument panel illuminated when ignition off

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Instrument panel illuminated when ignition off

Postby cruising comet » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi Chaps

Just been outside to move my 03 Connect and noticed when I opened the door the instrument panel was illuminated (albeit dimmer than normal) first thought was I had left my sidelights on but checked and this was not the case, so started the van up and switched the lights on and off again, but as soon as I switch off the ignition the dash stays illuminated, this morning I moved the van and noticed the battery seemed low as I got the feeling it wasn't going to start like the battery was low, so guessing the dash could have been illuminated overnight causing a drain.

Does anyone here have any experience of this or any advice regarding this problem?

Many thanks
Ford Transit Connect 1.8 T200 SWB (2003)
cruising comet
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Instrument panel illuminated when ignition off

Postby Altransit » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:07 pm

If it's like the Focus, the dash lights stay on for a while after locking the doors, and also come on when the vehicle is unlocked :D

Go back out and look 10 minutes after locking up, without unlocking, and they should then be off :!: 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Guy88 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:22 pm

same as the MK7 :wink: 8)
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby cruising comet » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:27 pm

the van was last started just after 8am this morning then moved and parked up, when I went out to it to move again around 9.30pm this evening i noticed the instrument panel lit up before i even unlocked the van or got into it, i could see it was lit as i walked up to it? never had anything like this happen before, as i said its dimmly lit and has a slight flicker
cruising comet
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cruising comet » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:36 am

Well this is embarassing :oops:

Went out to the van last night before bed to check again and the lights had indeed gone out, which was a relief!

I've had this Connect over 4 yrs and have to say I've never onece known the instument panel light up either as Im getting into van or as I exit the van after switching the ignition off, so if it's meant to do this I'm wondering why last night was the first time I've ever seen it if this is normal?

Anyway thanks for the feedback :)
cruising comet
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby BLUECONNECTION » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:45 pm

my 53 plate connect doesn't do this unless i have left the sidelights on, i'd keep an eye on it mate, sounds like an electrical problem to me, maybe a bad earth somewhere and its earthing itself through the binnacle instead.
BLUECONNECTION
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cruising comet » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:06 pm

BLUECONNECTION wrote:my 53 plate connect doesn't do this unless i have left the sidelights on, i'd keep an eye on it mate, sounds like an electrical problem to me, maybe a bad earth somewhere and its earthing itself through the binnacle instead.

Thanks for the feedback, havn't noticed it since the other night, but expect I've not seen the end of it!

Glad to hear it's not normal for the dash lights to come on like others have said, seems to be some confusion? (maybe later models do this?)

With all the Connect owners here you would have thought more people would be able to clarify this either way?

As I said previously in over 4 yrs of owning my Connect van I have never ever known my dash to light up unless the lights are switched on?
cruising comet
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Richard001 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:48 pm

cruising comet wrote:
BLUECONNECTION wrote:my 53 plate connect doesn't do this unless i have left the sidelights on, i'd keep an eye on it mate, sounds like an electrical problem to me, maybe a bad earth somewhere and its earthing itself through the binnacle instead.

Thanks for the feedback, havn't noticed it since the other night, but expect I've not seen the end of it!

Glad to hear it's not normal for the dash lights to come on like others have said, seems to be some confusion? (maybe later models do this?)

With all the Connect owners here you would have thought more people would be able to clarify this either way?

As I said previously in over 4 yrs of owning my Connect van I have never ever known my dash to light up unless the lights are switched on?

I can confirm that on the connect I own and the connects I have driven at work (from 2005 to 2009 plate) the instrument lights do not stay on unless you have left the side lights on. The interior light on the roof will come on when the van is unlocked and does stay on for a few seconds after the van has been locked. I have driven transits at work as well (2002 to 2009 plate) and cant remember the instrument cluster staying lit unless as I said the lights are left on but the interior light operatesin the same way.
2005 Transit Connect T230 LX, 90ps re-mapped (by vantuner), decat, EGR blanked,K&N air filter, HIDS upgrade, led sidelights, led fogs soon
2008 t230l connect works van
Richard001
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cruising comet » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:55 pm

Richard001 wrote:
I can confirm that on the connect I own and the connects I have driven at work (from 2005 to 2009 plate) the instrument lights do not stay on unless you have left the side lights on. The interior light on the roof will come on when the van is unlocked and does stay on for a few seconds after the van has been locked. I have driven transits at work as well (2002 to 2009 plate) and cant remember the instrument cluster staying lit unless as I said the lights are left on but the interior light operatesin the same way.

Thanks for confirming, that's exactly as I've found with mine.
cruising comet
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:54 pm

How strange :?

Maybe it's a feature that can be enabled (or not!) according to the spec of the van, via the ECU. The Connect and Focus seem to share most other features, as I found out with the 'time delayed extinguishing headlights' :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Richard001 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:14 pm

Altransit wrote:How strange :?

Maybe it's a feature that can be enabled (or not!) according to the spec of the van, via the ECU. The Connect and Focus seem to share most other features, as I found out with the 'time delayed extinguishing headlights' :mrgreen:

ive only had the interior light stay on. How do the headlights work?
2005 Transit Connect T230 LX, 90ps re-mapped (by vantuner), decat, EGR blanked,K&N air filter, HIDS upgrade, led sidelights, led fogs soon
Richard001
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cruising comet » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:17 pm

Maybe it's a feature that can be enabled (or not!) according to the spec of the van, via the ECU.

Interesting thought, could be the case maybe?

Would be interested to hear from others wether or not their dash lights up or not as described? :?
cruising comet
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Dagenham Dustbin » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:22 pm

I just went out to mine, a 2007 230, and the dash paned lights up when I operate the remote door unlock.
After locking, it remains alight, but as it is cold and damp fog, I did not linger to see how long it remains after locking.
I may get back to this come summertime. LOL
Dagenham Dustbin
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Dagenham Dustbin » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:26 pm

[quote="

ive only had the interior light stay on. How do the headlights work?[/quote]

The headlights are a factory fitted module, that keeps the headlights alight untill you have walked up your long drive, and unlocked your front door.
I dont know if all the new ones have it, but all the american one do,(home safe lights they call it) as its something they have had on their cars for over 20 years.
The last five yanks I have owned have had this.
Its not "something you can find on your ECU and enable" :lol:
Dagenham Dustbin
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Richard001 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:30 pm

Dagenham Dustbin wrote:I just went out to mine, a 2007 230, and the dash paned lights up when I operate the remote door unlock.
After locking, it remains alight, but as it is cold and damp fog, I did not linger to see how long it remains after locking.
I may get back to this come summertime. LOL

Might be looking at something that can be turned on/off by Ford my 2005 230 LX does not light up. The works vans are 230 L and they dont light up either. Does the instrument cluster stay lit all the time whilst driving :?: or is it just for a set period of time :?:

cruising comet wrote:

Maybe it's a feature that can be enabled (or not!) according to the spec of the van, via the ECU.

Interesting thought, could be the case maybe?

Would be interested to hear from others wether or not their dash lights up or not as described? :?

What do you do to get the headlights to stay on after you have locked it (time extinguishd headlights)
Richard001
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Transit Connect