*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

engine now tapping/knocking

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

engine now tapping/knocking

Postby crammy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:16 am

i have purchased a mk7 2.2tdci and until the weekend was very quite. there was no noise really coming from the engine at all. yesterday afternoon i noticed a knocking and tapping when driving. it doesnt seem to have lost power and you cant hear it when idle. as soon as you pull away and put your foot down a bit you can hear it and i think it sound like tappets or something. could this be the case and is it something to worry about.
cheers

jay
crammy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: engine now tapping/knocking

Postby Herts » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:23 am

When was the last oil change? I am doing mine today (hopefully) as I have the same ticking/tapping noise. I know mine is due an oil change as the service light had come on.

Andy
MK7 - 2.4 RWD/HR/LWB 3.5T 140HP (BIG BOYS TOY!)

Number 1 Emergency Call out Engineer!!!

http://www.hertsplumbinganddrainage.co.uk
Herts
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby crammy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:29 am

im not sure mate. I got it last weekend and it was fine and got it from a dealer so assumed that they would of done it but you never know. i did notice that they have overfilled it. going to put it in the garage next door and get them to do an oil change i think. Is this something thats happens when is due a change?
crammy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby winterheating » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:41 pm

crammy wrote:im not sure mate. I got it last weekend and it was fine and got it from a dealer so assumed that they would of done it but you never know. i did notice that they have overfilled it. going to put it in the garage next door and get them to do an oil change i think. Is this something thats happens when is due a change?

You should only check the oil level on a cold engine and totally level ground.

if you take it to a back street garage theyll more than likely just put a universal 10-40 oil in.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby TIMO » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:46 pm

winterheating wrote:
crammy wrote:im not sure mate. I got it last weekend and it was fine and got it from a dealer so assumed that they would of done it but you never know. i did notice that they have overfilled it. going to put it in the garage next door and get them to do an oil change i think. Is this something thats happens when is due a change?

You should only check the oil level on a cold engine and totally level ground.

if you take it to a back street garage theyll more than likely just put a universal 10-40 oil in.

Make sure they only use 5/30 SEMI synthetic mate ,,anything else is wrong .
BBC = British Broadcasting Conspiracy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj82wxnO ... r_embedded
TIMO
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby crammy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:55 pm

just spoke to garage next door and he mentioned that he has seen a few where deisel is leaking into the oil from the pump seal or something like that. He also meantioned that they may not have over filled it, and the sump is filling with deisel. i checked the oil cold and its really thin. i wiped the dipstick with tissue and the oil just smeared into it like blotting paper.
Im assuming this is the problem due to having oil as thin as water
crammy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ChuckH » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:19 pm

crammy wrote:just spoke to garage next door and he mentioned that he has seen a few where deisel is leaking into the oil from the pump seal or something like that. He also meantioned that they may not have over filled it, and the sump is filling with deisel. i checked the oil cold and its really thin. i wiped the dipstick with tissue and the oil just smeared into it like blotting paper.

5w30 Oil is really thin !! it has to be. Monitor the level and see if it increases ??
ChuckH
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby taz666 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:00 pm

havent had a problem yet with pumps on 2.2s leaking diesel into sump, oil is very thin anyway, have u had any pcm updates??
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby crammy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:04 pm

Wouldnt know what a pcm update is mate. I was just worried as there was no nose what so ever before the wekend and now it sound like an old diesel engine
crammy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby winterheating » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:09 pm

crammy wrote:just spoke to garage next door and he mentioned that he has seen a few where deisel is leaking into the oil from the pump seal or something like that. He also meantioned that they may not have over filled it, and the sump is filling with deisel. i checked the oil cold and its really thin. i wiped the dipstick with tissue and the oil just smeared into it like blotting paper.

Thats can happen on the tddi and tdci mk6's not that common though, it actualy leaks from the transfer pump so oil is drawn in to the fuel as the transfer pump works on vacumn, then uses oil not puts diesel into oil, would i suppose leak fuel into oil when seal got really bad at rest, but by then it would of used all the engine oil up :lol: Just like my mates van, i warned him the seal had gone as there was oil in the fuel when changing fuel filter.
He left it and turbo went, then engine siezed.

Not sure about the Mk7 fuel pumps..

The oil is suppossed to be thin like water, if it nit wouldnt protect the engine at all, like when oil gets to thick with deposits, it gets to thick to get into shells.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby transit glx pete » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:12 pm

If you only got it last weekend, surely the dealer is obliged by law to offer a full 3 months warranty against this sort of thing. Check it out. If so then take the van back and let them sort it!!
Pete.
It's always broken! Getting bored of trying to fix it!!!
transit glx pete
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby crammy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:28 pm

It has got the three month waranty so i will probably take it back next weekend then. I just wondered if it could be something simple to save another week without a vehicle. I was meant to pick it up 3 weeks ago. When i first test drove it the van was so quiet but had a crunch in second so told them to sort that. The day before i was due to collect they said it needed another gearbox. This took two weeks for them to sort, but does drive really well.
Also after a bit of help so i dont get mugged off with the same old well thats how a diesel sounds when i know it didnt when i collected it.
crammy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Davefosta » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:09 am

hi crammy , im reading about your tapping knocking , i also own a mk7 with 85000 on her and just noticed the similar noise from my van . did your van get sorted ? if so what was the symptoms or remedy for this, the problem i have is that im overseas in denmark with no cover to get it back to uk as yet, or can it be repaired here ? i am clutching at straws really as i dont have engine knowledge but all my tapping and knocking sound like your problem
Dave very stressed in denmark. :roll:
Davefosta

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits