*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Knocking from front end

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Knocking from front end

Postby CHADVALLI » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:17 am

Hi Everyone, i've been searching on the forum and had several new leads for my problem. I have a knocking from the front end over rough roads,potholes,speedbumps etc. It seems to be from both sides which leads me to think its in the suspension. I have done the usual bush changes and drop bar links,anti roll bar,ball joints etc, My thoughts now turn to the top strut bearings and mounts. or something else thats been mentioned, is the rear gearbox mounting. Anyone else had something similar and found the cure? there's not a lot left to change and it seems i've gone the long way round with my diagnosis, its not got any worse over the months its just annoying, Many thanks
CHADVALLI
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Knocking from front end

Postby BLUECONNECTION » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:07 am

just double check the drop link bars, i replaced mine but they failed again within a month, serves me right for buying from fleabay, only did it because i couldn't get to my local motor factors.

main things are drop links, anti roll bar to sub frame bushes, bottom ball joints and wishbone bushes.

other things to check are shock absorbers, springs, top and bottom gear box mount (top under air box, bottom goes from the gearbox to the front sub frame under the van) and the main engine mount on the drivers side (if van is right hand drive) my drop links got so bad that just wobbling the van caused them to knock, so got a buddy to shake the van from side to side while i looked underneath, you can generally see the part knocking because there will be movement in the joint and if you put your hand on it you can feel the knock.

another thing to check is the brake callipers, check the bolts are done up tight, my mum had her brakes changed and the grease monkey who did it didn't torque down the calliper to hub nuts and they worked loose causing the calliper to rattle around making a knocking noise over bumps.
BLUECONNECTION
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby CHADVALLI » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi Everyone
Just an update, Replaced top strut bearings and bushes,Roll bar bushes,both bottom ball joints,front drop links and lower gearbox mount. The noise still persists so im wondering if its anything to do with the tyres and wheels. Im running 18's with 225x40x18 tyres. Just wondering if its because of the low profile not having enough bounce?? Anyone had similar problems with low profiles? Anyone know if the drop link rods are different lenghts from the standard van to the ST? Thought id disconnect the drop links and try to isolate the roll bar from the equation by briefly running her up the road as im thinking there could be something in my tyre wall/drop link theory
Thanks
CHADVALLI
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby CHADVALLI » Thu May 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi Everyone, Just an update, I removed the drop links from the front and took the van up the road over our local speed bumps, The noise has disappeared. One of the drop links is bent as if its had a thump, which leads me to believe there may be some truth in my theory of different lengths of drop link from the standard van and the sport van running 18's. I guess with 40 series tyres there is less 'cushion' effect and the links may have to work harder,although it is only an up and down motion. The fact that i have a bent link,may indicate they are too long as the roll bar bottoms out. I'll order some factory ones as i suspect the ones fitted may have come from the 'bay'. Anyone know the lenghts or a better alternative???. Once i have my new ones fitted, i may play around with these and shorten them just by way of an experiment
CHADVALLI
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby RODDERS80 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:41 pm

HI pal im exact same as you - an annoying little banging noise coming from front end only when driving @ slow speeds
IE potholes and speed bumps !
its done it no for over a year and hasn't got any worse, dunno what it is as ive not found anything wrong to look at so i'd love to hear your result when you find it so i can fix mine
but the theory of drop links sounds very good ive been told that a couple of times but i obviously dont know how to inspect mine properly as they look good to me so must be a bush or something internal to the drop link
not sure about different lengths as mine is all standard as far as i know anywayzz even has standard wheels and tires on so its not just your wheel size its standard size also it happens so must be just faulty drop links ?? let us know your results !!
thx ++RoD++
RODDERS80

Postby CHADVALLI » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Hi All, Right, whilst having one of my poking and prodding sessions i noticed that the small rubber mountings that support the ductings to the intercooler on top of the engine had stretched and severed, and didn't line up correctly. I grabbed the engine and rocked it back and forth to find it moved quite freely. I removed the airbox to expose the gearbox mounting on the nearside,and i could see a little of the rubber had started to split, I also noticed the mounting had appeared to have moved on its bolt fixings. I slackened the four bolts and pulled the engine so the remains of the little mounting bobbins reasonably lined up. Then i tightened the four bolts. On taking the van for a spin, the noise had at least halved and i felt i was getting somewhere. Four days later my new engine/gearbox mounting had arrived from the 'bay' and i fitted it that same day. I had also purchased some new Quentin Hazell (?) drop links from my local motor factors and at £9 each seemed fair as they both looked and felt, much more durable than the previous set i had from Ebay.I fitted these too whilst i had the spanners out
The van is a different thing now and a pleasure to drive,no knocks bangs and a far better 'feel' to it. I guess the engine was moving slightly when the driveshafts moved over bumps,or,going back to my rollbar theory, the engine may have been sat closer to it down below where it snakes around the subframe and exhaust. It seems to be cured anyhow, so i hope this helps anyone with similar problems
CHADVALLI
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby RODDERS80 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:10 pm

SO drop links seem to be consistent in all my research !
its funny how u mention the gearbox mounts as one of mine has sheared off !
under the air box there is the 4 bolts with the one big one in the middle which then go to 3 fixings to hold the gearbox up,
2 on the front and one on the back - well the one at the back sheared off thus resulting in 3 out of 5 gears not working due to the gear shift control snagging cause its all dropped,
so ive fixed that by drilling it out and replacing the bolt but the banging still remains just as before i had the issue,
so i still thinking it all down to drop links as ive read on another thread that some guy had low profiles on which caused the banging due to the drop links bottoming out due to low profiles fitted - he stated drop links can be supplied in 2 sizes for the connect so be aware of that !
one day i might get round to changing mine - maybe when they totally break or someone can confirm its deffo the links , so we will get there eventually !!!!!!!!!!!!!
RODDERS80

Postby CHADVALLI » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:48 pm

The new drop links i got from Quinton Hazell (correct spelling this time) were far better manufactured than my previous set from Ebay. The bar itself seemed thicker and the ends definately seemed more robust, so i would advise anyone to consider them,and they were £9 each inc.vat from Wood Auto Factors,Wakefield, 01924 291414
The part number is QLS3304S. Why not disconnect the ends of the rollbar like i did and run it up the road? it will eliminate the drop links or the rubber Rollbar mountings. If it doesnt knock then it must be one or the other, Thanks
CHADVALLI
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby RODDERS80 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:12 pm

yer will do deffo worth a shot !
and thanks for the suppliers details !
not too far from me :o
++RoD++
RODDERS80

Postby Knowledgeispower » Fri May 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Had same problem of dull thud sound it was the engine mount / dog bone £67 from mr autos sorted it right out no more annoying noise
Knowledgeispower

Return to Transit Connect