*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

The dreaded rattle!

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

The dreaded rattle!

Postby peninsulalawncare » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:49 pm

So as much as I love the information on this forum is does seem to be turning me into a van hypochondriac (long word of the day!) I read something on here and go "oh ye my van does that!".

So basically I have the rattle that appears between 1500 and 2000 in most gears, to start off with i just thought it was likely to be a heat shield or exhaust rattling but after reading it on here i'm now convinced it's the same thing lot's on here are having, whatever that is.

So am i right in thinking the common consensus is that it's the gear linkages that are causing this? if so is this a big problem and should I be looking to take it to a garage whatever the rattle is?.
peninsulalawncare
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: The dreaded rattle!

Postby gt_addict » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:27 pm

My own personal opinion is that it's the dual mass flywheel. Even the bloke at fords parts department said the bearings or springs tend to break up or loosen and rattle.

In the next couple of weeks I will be having a friend change the gearbox (recon one), flywheel and all clutch components. I will examine the flywheel closely (as I get all the old parts off him) and post my findings.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby peninsulalawncare » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Ouch, not sure exactly what that does but it sounds expensive??? :(. I've got 12 months warranty on the van but I guess it will be hard to prove exactly what it is. So is it likely that this problem is going to get worse quickly or could it go on and on?.
peninsulalawncare
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gt_addict » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:59 pm

Mine has remained the same since I've owned the van (18 months). But I've got a new noise which my mechanic firms says is the diff so it's all being changed at the same time. I can say for sure if yours will remain the same as you say it's a new van so the noise might be fairly quiet in comparison to mine. How many miles has the van done?
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby myweevan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:11 pm

the gear linkages is a good idea, mine is a 90 ps, with 65000 on it, its done it since i got it about 8000 ago. also the guy am doin my trailer test with has a 70 ps with 105k on it, and its there too, maybe not so bad though, if anything mine has got woirse recently.

what age are your vans? the 2 i speak of are 54 and 04.
myweevan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gt_addict » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:25 pm

Mine is a 2004 (54 plate) 90ps lwb with 101,000 on the clock.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby kernow60 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Mine does it also and it has almost 193,000 miles clock, it seems that if you let it the engine labour slightly then it will start whereas if you keep the revs up a bit going through the gears then it doesn't seem to occur. Initially I also thought dual mass flywheel noise but have read on here that its more likely to be the gear linkages etc. Not unduly concerned about it, will just see what if anything develops.!!!
kernow60
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby peninsulalawncare » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:49 pm

Mine is the tddi 75ps lwb 2003 with 68k on the clock. I can live with the noise as it really doesn't effect the drive but i'm just more concerned it will lead to some kind of big bang!.
peninsulalawncare
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gt_addict » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Kernow60, I've been reading the same things since I've been a member and still that is only a theory. No one actually knows exactly what it is. People have had it disappear or improve dramatically after changing the lower gearbox mount, others after rebuilding the gearbox. So to keep blaming it on the gear linkages is a little bit lazy. The trouble is as I am doing the whole lot I won't be able to give a definitive answer as to what it is. But I can give a best guess after examining the parts.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby kernow60 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:42 pm

gt_addict wrote:Kernow60, I've been reading the same things since I've been a member and still that is only a theory. No one actually knows exactly what it is. People have had it disappear or improve dramatically after changing the lower gearbox mount, others after rebuilding the gearbox. So to keep blaming it on the gear linkages is a little bit lazy. The trouble is as I am doing the whole lot I won't be able to give a definitive answer as to what it is. But I can give a best guess after examining the parts.

I agree I'm not totally convinced its the gear linkages etc, more inclined to think its the clutch, it's just that it seems to be the linkages are the most popular thing to blame it on, and to be honest despite the high mileage mine as done it's not really that bad, so maybe it's had some attention in the past, and it's coming around for another go, who knows. ???
kernow60
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Adam_84 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:10 pm

Don't the connects have a solid flywheel? If so it won't be that causing the rattle noise as there's no springs and bits on it as far as I know so corrcet me if I'm wrong.

My 05 lwb 230 does it as well on 90,000 miles
Adam_84
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby painter4 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:59 pm

peninsulalawncare wrote:So as much as I love the information on this forum is does seem to be turning me into a van hypochondriac (long word of the day!) I read something on here and go "oh ye my van does that!".

So basically I have the rattle that appears between 1500 and 2000 in most gears, to start off with i just thought it was likely to be a heat shield or exhaust rattling but after reading it on here i'm now convinced it's the same thing lot's on here are having, whatever that is.

So am i right in thinking the common consensus is that it's the gear linkages that are causing this? if so is this a big problem and should I be looking to take it to a garage whatever the rattle is?.

if it aint broke dont fix it :lol:
painter4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby connectmabs » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:54 pm

well the other day my clutch went the slave cilinder was knackerd thought great get the whole job done cure the rattle but one big problem !!! it doesnt have the dual mass flywheel so now we are really confused as to where the rattle between 1500 2500 rpm is coming from. even sent the gearbox off to be checked all seams ok .

so is there anything else i can get me garage to check ?

as the only thing been reported from the garage is i could do with replacing the top engine mount as the rubber is splitting
connectmabs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby peninsulalawncare » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:50 pm

Well, i'm no mechanic but I have made a few observations about the noise in question. It definately seems to be worse in second gear, I think this is probably just due to the fact that you drive through first gear quickly and when your in 3,4,5 th gear your going fast enough to mask the noise a little. I have also noticed that when I select a gear and let the clutch out I can hear a kind of quick clunk type noise that sounds like the rattle, could this be slackness in the gear linkage selectors that have been mentioned? (is that what there called?).
peninsulalawncare
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby painter4 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:05 pm

I have also noticed that when I select a gear and let the clutch out I can hear a kind of quick clunk type noise ...

drive shaft
painter4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Transit Connect