*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk 6 2.0 TDDI 75ps - Oil light when warm.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk 6 2.0 TDDI 75ps - Oil light when warm.

Postby ozpass » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:25 am

Hello all - got a bit of a problem with my tranny - wonder if anyone could help?

It's a '53 plate SWB MHR T300 with the 75ps 2.0 TDDi lump. 120,000 on the clock.

Serviced it myself a week ago (prior to big trip) with new oil filter, air filter, fuel filter (all genuine Ford parts) and 6ish litres of 5w/30 fully synthetic.

Made the trip from Yorkshire to South of France (holiday gaff) without a hiccup (800+ miles)

Yesterday on the way back from a daytrip to Cognac, the oil light came on on a right hand bend. Stopped immediately to check levels etc. Levels looked fine, but I put another half litre of the same synthetic in anyway just in case the dipstick was somehow lying. Light went off for about 5 minutes then came back on. As I had no other option, I drove the remaining 60ish miles home - it ran flawlessly despite the oil warning. Pulled cleanly, held temperature fine, no nasty sounds from the engine, no smoke of any kind from the tailpipe at any point in the rev range. If the light wasn't on I would never have noticed...

Later on (after a visual inspection - nothing obvious amiss) I took it for another gentle little spin. Again - nothing for the first five minutes or so then the light came on again. I've done a bit of internet research and it doesn't seem to be the "flickering light" issue, not to mention it's hot and sunny here - no chance of water ingress.

Does anybody have any ideas / suggestions for me. I'm not an engine expert by any means but I'm a competent enough DIY mechanic and have lots of tools at my disposal.

Really hoping it's something that can be fixed easily as I need this van for daily transport for the next month, not to mention the 800 mile haul homewards at the end.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

-Oz.
ozpass
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk 6 2.0 TDDI 75ps - Oil light when warm.

Postby ake » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:31 am

Its quite possible that the oil pressure switch is faulty
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby ozpass » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:31 pm

Hi Ake - I'm starting to come to that conclusion myself.

Just got back from a trip to the shops (12 miles, round trip). First journey, no light on from cold, came on when I stopped to get bread - engine not quite to temperature by this point. Bread shop to supermarket - no light. Then on the return leg, with the engine fully up to temperature no oil light until I slowed to pull into my drive. Switch the engine off, take food inside, move the van into the barn and no light again.

Surely if there was a genuine oil pressure problem it would be constant across most of these conditions?

-Oz.
ozpass
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby winterheating » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:00 pm

putting 500ml extra oil in is more dangerous than running with oil level at minimum.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby APH » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:52 pm

winterheating wrote:putting 500ml extra oil in is more dangerous than running with oil level at minimum.

I'd agree, as it generates terrific crankase compression. I'd let it cool, dip oil again and if even slightly over the max, drop some out IMMEDIATELY. The engine will suffer no damage with the oil level anywhere between the max rite down to its minimum! (and shouldn't show the light either) just no less than the minimum.

I too would be suspecting a faulty pressure switch. :wink: The only other possibility which is a long shot but has been known, is if something is has got into the sump and when joggled the right way starts to block the dip tube that the oil pump picks up oil from the bottom of the sump through. The only way to check is drop oil out, take sump and dip tube off and look. However, you'll need gasket sealer to replace the sump as its "stuck" not a replaceable gasket, and access to fresh oil or a way of catching / recycling yours.

Hope some of that makes sense,

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ozpass » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Thanks guys.

The oil level is right at max now when cold, so I think I'll drain some of it and see what happens.

Thanks for all the advice!

-Oz.
ozpass
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby pusd » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Either pressure switch or a bit of wear on the engine coupled with high ambient temperature & 5/30 oil. Maybe try 10/40 oil?

Phil
pusd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits