*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine management light problem

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Engine management light problem

Postby Mattt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Having read through a lot of posts here regarding similar issues with connect I was hoping to get some advice on my issue . Having bought a 2007 ( 56plate ) t200 tdci 75 swb connect this week while driving it home the engine management light came on ( about 20 mins or so driving ) no loss of power nothing at all just the light everything else fine . So. Called the AA they come check it over says fault is with egr valve its giving fault code p0489 egr control circuit low and fault code p0490 egr control circuit high ! He says spraying some cleaner through it might solve it might not ,take it to a dealer then buggers off ! I then fiddle about with the connector on it aswell as the connector on the wiring loom behind the rad . Light goes off . Out for a drive comes back on about 10 mins later !!! . Just had it idling on the drive and the egr is making the sawing noise every couple of seconds .
So whats first clean egr? Replace it ,block it off ,look at the wiring ? ( not my strong point ) any suggestions would be great can't afford to have my pants pulled down by another garage
Thanks
Mattt

Re: Engine management light problem

Postby g-man » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 pm

try cleaning it 1st,wynns egr cleaner won't help it if its gunged up,take it off and do it,blank egr,i left a 4mm hole in the blank to stop the eml coming on,i also took the vac pipe off the egr and bunged it,u could do the wynns as a last job to clear it,theres some also vids on u tube might help
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Dagenham Dustbin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:51 pm

I had a similar problem on my 07 connect, the light that is.
It would come on for about 20 minutes every couple of days, but like yours, no power loss.
Anyway, no to do with the light problem, I fitted a cold air feed, and had the airbox pulled about at all angles, and since then, 3 or more months, the light no longer comes on.
I would clean the connectors first.
Dagenham Dustbin
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby taz666 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:58 pm

g-man wrote:try cleaning it 1st,wynns egr cleaner won't help it if its gunged up,take it off and do it,blank egr,i left a 4mm hole in the blank to stop the eml coming on,i also took the vac pipe off the egr and bunged it,u could do the wynns as a last job to clear it,theres some also vids on u tube might help

you cant just take the valve off on the late connects its part of the inlet manifold :!: , but there is a pcm update available if its the right engine
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby g-man » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:07 pm

true,but had mine off to clean
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mattt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:16 pm

AA guy said it's pretty easy to get off it just a couple of bolts if i want to change it . What sort of money is a new egr ? Cleaned connections as best I could still light on permanently .
What's this update ? Is the constant sawing noise normal while idling ?
Mattt

Postby taz666 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:26 pm

the egr valve comes as part of the inlet manifold, and the update is to reprogram the pcm so it allows a larger tolerance before it puts the light on
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby Mattt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:12 pm

I understand what your saying the part where the return pipe comes up into it from behind the engine is all one piece then there is what looks like star key bolts holding the other halve to it then a black plastic end piece where the wires connect . If I unbolt the star keys can I clean from there ? Not second guessing you just trying to understand .
The only way to get update would be to take it to main dealer ?
Mattt

Postby DieselDazzler » Mon May 21, 2012 10:34 pm

56 plate T200 TDCI 75ps

hi guys, i have the same-ish problem, a few weeks ago i hit a big puddle on the passengers side witch pult the EML light on 20sec later, diddent have my code reader at that point so i removed the eg blank plate (no hole), left it in the sun for the day and sure enough... light off by night time! :D once i got back to the workshop i found a logged code of p0490,

today after 150 flawless miles and a nice jetwash i parked her up in the works nice sunny windy car park for about 5 or 6 hours, when i finished work and went to leave the light was back! code read again P0490, i popped the blank back in and went about removing he 4 black torx bolts on the part with the push fit plug on the oppsite end, cracked it open and was surprised of see...not much! no gunk, no soot, no nothing.......am i missing somthing or does cleaning the egr mean removing the whole manifold????? :cry: , if i am missing somthing should/could ther be a"how-to" for doing this?

also, whats the reason behind the hole in the blank? is it nessasary? when i fitted mine nothing was said about this?

cheers J
T200 TDCI-16" MATT BLACK STEELS-30000W SOUND SYSTEM-RING 100/80W ULTRA BRIGHT BULBS-FORCED COLD FEED INTAKE-SUBARU SEAT-BLUE INTERNAL LED'S-REVERSING CAMERA-LOW PROFILE ROOF RACK-RING 100W REAR WORK LIGHTS & TOO MANY TOGGLE SWITCHES :wink:
DieselDazzler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DieselDazzler » Mon May 21, 2012 10:35 pm

56 plate T200 TDCI 75ps

hi guys, i have the same-ish problem, a few weeks ago i hit a big puddle on the passengers side witch pult the EML light on 20sec later, diddent have my code reader at that point so i removed the eg blank plate (no hole), left it in the sun for the day and sure enough... light off by night time! :D once i got back to the workshop i found a logged code of p0490,

today after 150 flawless miles and a nice jetwash i parked her up in the works nice sunny windy car park for about 5 or 6 hours, when i finished work and went to leave the light was back! code read again P0490, i popped the blank back in and went about removing he 4 black torx bolts on the part with the push fit plug on the oppsite end, cracked it open and was surprised of see...not much! no gunk, no soot, no nothing.......am i missing somthing or does cleaning the egr mean removing the whole manifold????? :cry: , if i am missing somthing should/could ther be a"how-to" for doing this?

also, whats the reason behind the hole in the blank? is it nessasary? when i fitted mine nothing was said about this?

cheers J
T200 TDCI-16" MATT BLACK STEELS-30000W SOUND SYSTEM-RING 100/80W ULTRA BRIGHT BULBS-FORCED COLD FEED INTAKE-SUBARU SEAT-BLUE INTERNAL LED'S-REVERSING CAMERA-LOW PROFILE ROOF RACK-RING 100W REAR WORK LIGHTS & TOO MANY TOGGLE SWITCHES :wink:
DieselDazzler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Graham Taylor » Tue May 22, 2012 7:57 am

DieselDazzler wrote:56 plate T200 TDCI 75ps

cheers J

If your EGR is bunged up with crap then its odds on the manifold will also want cleaning, but if your EGR is clear then probably the manifild will be too.

The reason for the small hole in the EGR blank is with some engines, blanking causes the light to come on. By drilling a small hole allows enough gas to pass through to avoid this. You can have this reset during a remap otherwise its not really an issue and nothing to worry about but can be confusing should the van develop another fault which may go undetected.
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby DieselDazzler » Tue May 22, 2012 9:43 am

Ok, a few months previous the cog withe the " ! " light came on, i took it to ford and they said the egr was "stuck" so they cleaned it out? is the manifold easy to remove? how long will it take to remove? roughly...

cheers john
DieselDazzler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Graham Taylor » Tue May 22, 2012 10:27 am

This is for a Mondeo but maybe of help.

http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?tit ... arout_TDCi
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby gt_addict » Tue May 22, 2012 11:04 am

To clean the egr valve on the vacuum operated ones is a pain in the arse job. You've got to take the exhaust manifold off and then te inlet manifold.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby DieselDazzler » Tue May 22, 2012 11:06 am

cheers , sh*t!, am i right that on the transit the inlet manifolds on the back of the engine?
DieselDazzler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Connect