*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Crankshaft pulley and bolt thread

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Crankshaft pulley and bolt thread

Postby BZM » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi there
I have a 2.2 diesel transit, front wheel drive, which, according to the VIN plate is a 2006 but was first registered end of 2007.
Earlier today, the centre came out of the crankshaft pulley - the rubber appears to have perished, causing the problem. Firstly, is this a common fault? I would have expected it to last a lot longer than this, as it's only done 12,000 miles. Secondly, other than going direct to Ford, does anyone know where I can get a replacement? And is there a modification, or does it have to be the rubber one again? Lastly, is the pulley retaining bolt normal thread, or left hand thread?
Hope someone out there can help.
Many thanks.
BZM

Re: Crankshaft pulley and bolt thread

Postby taz666 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:04 pm

i wouldnt say this is a common fault but ive see a few do it, not sure if there are any available on ebay but as with everything else you get what you pay for, i know ford ones are expensive but at least you know its not going to go again in a few months and the 3 crank bolts are 15mm, normal thread and bloody tight
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby BZM » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:31 am

Thanks for that; it's much appreciated. I know what you're saying about genuine parts - false economy to buy anything else! Thanks, also, for the thread info. Yes, I imagine they will be VERY tight. Not an easy job to get loose, I'm sure. Still, it's got to be done.
Thanks, again.
BZM

Postby taz666 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:19 pm

best idea if you havent got an air gun is to put handbrake on, put into 4th gear and use a big bar and socket to undo
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby BZM » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:55 am

Thanks very much for the advice. I'm really grateful.
Part should arrive today, so will be attempting asap.
Thanks again.
BZM

Postby BZM » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi Taz666
I've managed to get the bolts undone, and you were right - they were tight!!!!!
When I picked the new pulley up from the Ford dealer, I asked the guy for a torque setting and he told me it was 45nm plus 120 degrees. Firstly, does this sound right? If so, am I right in assuming that the bolts are stretch bolts? If they are, can I use them again, or do they have to be replaced? If they can be used again, are they likely to snap?
Once again, any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
BZM

Postby taz666 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:18 pm

hello m8 sorry its taken me a while to reply, yes its 45 nm and 120 degrees and the bolts can be reused twice before they need replacing
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby BZM » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:50 pm

THANK YOU very much for all your help. Just one last thing... I have looked at the power steering pump to see how to tension the belt but i cant see any way of adjusting the tension when i refit the belt. Or is it done in some other way? Once again, many thanks for all the info and advice.
Cheers
BZM

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits