*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil leak madness

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Oil leak madness

Postby edd_barker » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:49 pm

Hi all,

my MK6 350 90 2003 LWB transit Luton has leaked oil since I've owned it, at 158,000 miles I'm not surprised. I've changed the rocker cover, head gasket, sump sealant, fuel pump, heat exchanger, timing chain cover vacuum pump gaskets, and still she drips on!

I have been told by a mechanic I didn't entirely trust (he did the head gasket 3 months ago) that it is now the crankshaft gasket, which essentially splits the block below the head and above the sump, and is a MAJOR engine rebuild. There is a weep from this seal, at the front, drivers side of the block, but she does now drip from a few areas.

I would be happy to live with this leak, but since having the head done my dipstick has shown massive variations in the oil level, so I haven't really got a clue how much is in there. If I check after a night parked up, it will appear an inch or so over the max. Then if I check after a couple of hours cooling down time after a drive, its generally much nearer the MAX mark, but still often over it.

My next step is to drain the oil and measure how much I have, and then refill with the correct amount, which I believe is 7 litres? I'm hoping (ha) this will magically cure the problem, but I doubt it somehow.

So if anyone has any advice, I would really like to know:

How major is a crankshaft gasket replacement, is it worth doing?

What could be causing the variation in oil level, are there any other ways to tell how much oil I have e,g noise of timing chain? My oil warning light has never come on.

Does anyone know a reputable garage that can take a 10ft8 luton within 50 miles of London!

Many thanks, any advice is much appreciated.

Edd
edd_barker
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Oil leak madness

Postby dieseldel » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:53 pm

hi
oil level rising is usually the oil seal on the rear of the injection pump drive sprocket, ie inj pump end oil seal, has failed and diesel is leaking into the sump and diluting the engine oil and raising the oil level drain oil and have a sniff, does it smell of diesel ???
it was like that before i touched it !!
dieseldel
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby myfiestast » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:55 pm

my crankshaft gasket is leaking and i was told was a easy job by my garage? might be wrong though! the part code i got from ford was 1557881 and thats for a front crankshaft gasket @ £18.36 + vat if thats any help
MK6 Jumbo 2.4 125 T350 528k
MK7 Jumbo 2.4 140 T350 475k
MK8 Jumbo 2.2 155 T350 203K
myfiestast
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby 125neil » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:31 pm

Have a good look at the condtion of the sump, mine became porous / rusty over time and oil was dripping out when left overnight, during driving it was being blown about under the cab and I could not see where it was coming from, new sump cured it.
125neil
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby winterheating » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:55 pm

My mk6 2.4 has 242,000 miles on it and is bone dry. If i had the oil level over max all the time im sure it would start leaking though.

The only time to check the oil level correctly is after its been stood overnight on level ground.

the vac pump itself is very common for leaking oil.

the front crank seal is an easy job.

Why was the H/G replaced :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby edd_barker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:53 pm

Head gasket was replaced due to an external oil leak, there were no other complications, or so I was told!

Its not the front crankshaft seal, but the gasket between the two sections of the engine block. Might be called the crankshaft case gasket? Front crankshaft seal has been done.
edd_barker
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dieseldel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:28 pm

hi
engine out to do these gaskets im afraid, rear oil seal bolts to both pieces, so its engine out,clutch and flywheel off, front timing cover off , sump off, oil pick up pipe off, oil pump and tensioner off, then split apart, new gaskets and assembly is reversal of stripping but you must align carrier with block and even more important to align oil pump sprockets, big job im afraid and dont forget to thorouly check timing chain, tensioner and guides when rebuilding
it was like that before i touched it !!
dieseldel
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby winterheating » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:22 pm

or could be worth taking sump off and re torquing all the ladder frame bolts again :?: just to try first.

i think i would try and knock some blue slate into were its leaking rather the take engine out.......
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby edd_barker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:25 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I knew it wasn't going to be an easy one! What do you mean by "knocking blue slate in?" Is this the same as sending me for a jar of elbow grease, or is it an actual bodge/fix I can try?

Cheers!
edd_barker
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby edd_barker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Further to my earlier message, do you mean a gasket compound, like the Hylomar Blue gasket stuff? I was thinking about an external bodge fix as it is not leaking under any pressure. I considered an epoxy/fibreglass job, but I guess the heat would destroy it. Has anyone got away with this kind of 'fix' (in the loosest sense of the word) before?

Thanks again
edd_barker
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby winterheating » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:05 pm

i used some epoxy resin plastic repair stuff to hold my dipstick into the same ladder frame, its held fine and hasnt melted.

i mean blue slate that you get on a old roof, get the sharp edge and knock it in, it crumbles and seals it up, it works to stop high pressure leaks in threaded steel pipe fittings.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ake » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:17 pm

winterheating wrote:i used some epoxy resin plastic repair stuff to hold my dipstick into the same ladder frame, its held fine and hasnt melted.

i mean blue slate that you get on a old roof, get the sharp edge and knock it in, it crumbles and seals it up, it works to stop high pressure leaks in threaded steel pipe fittings.

I've not heard the blue slate bodge for ages :D
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby alvinator1 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:45 pm

is the engine breathing ? sounds like excessive crankcase compression if your chasing your arse with oil leaks ????????
alvinator1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby winterheating » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:27 pm

plus with putting too much oil in aswell.

the rocker cover has a control valve in it.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby alvinator1 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:57 am

the old positive crankcase ventilation , what an absolutly spiffing invention - not , cause of many a turbo failure (certainly on iveco anyhow)
alvinator1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits