*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lucas Epic Injector Pump

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Lucas Epic Injector Pump

Postby AndyG » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:11 am

gemini wrote:
Genesis wrote: I,d still be interested,no..fascinated! to find out how the Lucas Epic works

lucas would as well :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Lucas Epic Injector Pump

Postby Genesis » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:35 am

BAZONKA!!! :lol: Its now running almost as it should. I removed one of the pairs of solenoids from the back of the pump and discovered the remains of a rubber seal trying to worm its way through the fuelways. Removed what I could then spun the pump to flush out the rest and she's now running well enough to drive. Two small problems still though:
1/ Sometimes after starting it runs with very little power and not much
accellorator response. Plus I have to turn the key back on then off
to stop the engine. Idles nicely.
2/If the above happens I restart and she's away goodO,normal power
and good response but if you kick it in the guts at low revs she pours
out a cloud of black smoke which someone is going to complain
about sooner or later (I would). Idles too fast,about 1500rpm).
Any thoughts :?: :?:
Transitional Pianist
Genesis
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Lucas Epic Injector Pump

Postby AndyG » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:44 pm

Genesis wrote:BAZONKA!!! :lol: Idles nicely.

2/I Idles too fast,about 1500rpm).

Any thoughts :?: :?:
:? :? Contradiction :?:

If the 'Red Light of Doom' comes on, it will not idle correctly and can float between 1000rpm and 1500rpm :(

Have you looked through HERE :!: :idea:
http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5727

You're doing a cracking job so far :!: 8) :wink:
Keep up the good work :!:

When mine goes wrong, I think I'll be having a go too :D
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Lucas Epic Injector Pump

Postby Genesis » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:57 am

Thanks again Andyg. Yes, the "Red light of doom" stays on constantly which ,I assume, means one of the electronic components stuck on the outside of the pump is not doing its job properly.If I could just nail which one and how to fix it.
Just given it it's first wash in nine months and had it re registered last week. How can it possibly refuse to perform well with such T.L.C.
Transitional Pianist
Genesis
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Lucas Epic Injector Pump

Postby Genesis » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:02 am

I forgot to add. Yes I have the EPIC manual loaded but without all the diagnostic gear and my limited mechanical knowledge of these pumps its not a lot of help.
Transitional Pianist
Genesis
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby AndyG » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:08 am

As you've had the pleasure of looking at one of these pumps in more detail than anyone else I know, are the electronics all on the outside :?: accessible :?:
It's been mentioned that the actuators can give trouble :idea:

Is there anyone that could possibly read your fault codes via the 16pin socket in your fuse box :?:
AndyG
Site Admin

Lucas Epic Injector Pump

Postby Genesis » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:36 am

Yes,there's five in total though two of them are "pairs" i.e.
(When viewing engine from the front)
1/At the very rear end of the pump a solenoid which holds an actuator
which is screwed into the pump's main shaft and the whole shaft can
move forward and backwards. I believe this is the primary means of
metering the amount of fuel to the injectors and can be adjusted by
the addition/removal of shims (like washers) that fit on the actuator
shaft.
2/On the left hand side a solenoid which connects to what I think is
an advance/retard device inside the pump.
3/On the right hand side a solenoidy looking gizmo that I think
connects to another s.l.g. on the engine housing which receives a
signal from the flywheel each revolution.(This s.l.g. has to be
removed when you insert the stud into the flywheel to time the
engine.
4/ On the top theres a pair of solenoids(two joined together). The one
on the right has a plunger inside.(This is where I discovered the
remains of the rubber seal).I have no idea what the one on the left
does and would love to know.
5/Immediately at the back of the above pair at 90deg. is another pair
which,again, I have no idea what their function is.
I could take the van down to our Fairly Odd Road Device dealership who have the gear to read the ECU and probably will if I can't sort it . Its just that if their diagnosis is "Theres a fault with your injector pump. It will have to be' sent away' to be repaired and will cost you thousands of $$$$" I'll most likely commit Hari Kari or seriously damage someone!.
You probably did'nt want all this detail but at least now its on record.
Transitional Pianist
Genesis
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby AndyG » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:46 am

The more detail the better :!: :D ( not the Hari Kari bit :lol: )
If the codes are read correctly and properly, (doubt it from my experiences) You should be able to pinpoint which part of the pump is not working :!: (judging by the possible codes available).
But the problem might be identifying exactly what it is, they are refering to.
As I am yet to see an exploded diagram of one of these pumps with all the parts labelled :roll:

You seem to be doing well though :!: :wink:
AndyG
Site Admin

Fuel Pump

Postby zien49 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:23 am

Hi Genesis
I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but to set up a fuel pump, without going in to grate details, you have to put it on a test bench and adjust the fuel settings Phasing & Calibration set tick over, max, revs, top end torque fuel setting bottom end fuel settings. All the setting are set to the amount of fuel measured in CC at set RPM’s. And all this is done in near sterile conditions. So to set one up without all the equipment is to say the least, it will be like winning the pools. If you assembled the pump fitted and it ran and you could drive the van at all I take my hat off to you. I have worked on diesel engines and vehicles for over 45 years and never seen it done. Well Done. If you ever get to Pudsey I will buy you a pint. DEREK
zien49
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Fuel Pump

Postby AndyG » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:14 am

zien49 wrote:Hi Genesis
I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but to set up a fuel pump, without going in to grate details, you have to put it on a test bench and adjust the fuel settings Phasing & Calibration set tick over, max, revs, top end torque fuel setting bottom end fuel settings. All the setting are set to the amount of fuel measured in CC at set RPM’s. And all this is done in near sterile conditions. So to set one up without all the equipment is to say the least, it will be like winning the pools. If you assembled the pump fitted and it ran and you could drive the van at all I take my hat off to you. I have worked on diesel engines and vehicles for over 45 years and never seen it done. Well Done. If you ever get to Pudsey I will buy you a pint. DEREK

:shock: 45 years :!:

How are these adjustments for calibration carried out :?: Turning of a screw :?: Shims :?: (as mentioned)

Also, as you've been involved with diesel engines/pumps for 45 years 8) you must be able to get your hands on a good exploded diagram for this Lucas EPIC pump :!:
How about you try, just for us :D :wink:
AndyG
Site Admin

Fuel Pumps

Postby zien49 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:30 pm

Hi Andyg
What it says is I have worked on diesel engines & vehicles not on fuel pumps I have always sent them to a fuel injection workshop to be done. I am now retired but will see if I can get you sum info, may take a day or two but will try. DEREK
zien49
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Fuel Pumps

Postby AndyG » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:54 pm

zien49 wrote:Hi Andyg
What it says is I have worked on diesel engines & vehicles not on fuel pumps I have always sent them to a fuel injection workshop to be done. I am now retired but will see if I can get you sum info, may take a day or two but will try. DEREK
:oops: The way I was reading (late at night/early in the morning. That's my excuse anyway :D ) I thought that you'd pulled them to bits yourself and fixed/calibrated them :D :oops:

But yeah :!: ANY information, diagrams, guides, and even pointers, would be great and much appreciated, THANKS :!: :wink: even if it takes a few days or more :wink:
AndyG
Site Admin

Lucas Epic Injector Pump

Postby Genesis » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:00 am

Hi Zien49. Your comments are appreciated although they're probably not doing my already inflated ego much good. I'm over the moon that I got it running but the big test will be this Sat. when I take her over the Rimutaka mountain range (lower North Is. N.Z.) to Greytown loaded with band gear to play a gig. Heres hoping.(or hopping!!).
Never been to Pudsey or even U.K. but theres always a first time.Will take you up on your offer then. Cheers...Pat
Transitional Pianist
Genesis
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

FUEL PUMP

Postby zien49 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:01 am

Hi AL
I have not forgotten about the epic fuel pump info, I have wait until the man gets back to me. DEREK
zien49
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Injector pump

Postby vanfox » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:25 am

If you can get your hands on an exploded, fully annotated schematic for the Bosch Di pump with internal cold start and fast idle I'll buy you two pints if you ever get to northwest Cheshire!!! As, I suspect, will many others here....
Last edited by vanfox on Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions