*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Resetting Tire Pressure Sensor

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Resetting Tire Pressure Sensor

Postby Redlandrebel » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Hello and Thanks in advanced. I got my tires rotated at the local Ford Dealership and for the 2nd time they could not reset the tire pressure monitor. Before I take it to another dealership, does any one have any tricks. I tried to follow the user guide, but it did not work. Thanks
Redlandrebel

Re: Resetting Tire Pressure Sensor

Postby taz666 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:53 pm

i take it its a connect as you havent given us any clue on what vehicle it is, i will have a look on etis for you for a connect and see if i can find anything, this is the only thing i can find on etis
Vehicles equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system must be inspected for correct operation using the diagnostic tool..
however ive never seen a connect with this feature, but if its the same as a focus it has to reset using ids
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby Redlandrebel » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Sorry, I thought this was a Ford Transit Connect forum only. Yes, I have a 2010 Ford Transit Connect and the tire pressure is higher for the rear tires than the front. 39 Front, 49 rear. Obviously when you rotate the tires the sensors have to be reset. I think, because the van is a Turkish brand, the tire pressure monitors are different from the normal Ford TPMS. The manual that came with the van gives information on resetting but it is not working. Thanks again.
Redlandrebel

Postby taz666 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:28 pm

yes it is for connects but you didnt say what year it was, but anyway welcome to the forum and as i said it may be the same as a focus and need to be reset by ford ids :D
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby Dagenham Dustbin » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:25 pm

Redlandrebel wrote:Sorry, I thought this was a Ford Transit Connect forum only. Yes, I have a 2010 Ford Transit Connect and the tire pressure is higher for the rear tires than the front. 39 Front, 49 rear. Obviously when you rotate the tires the sensors have to be reset. I think, because the van is a Turkish brand, the tire pressure monitors are different from the normal Ford TPMS. The manual that came with the van gives information on resetting but it is not working. Thanks again.

The confusion may be because a lot of us wth UK vehicles do not have this system.
May I ask if you are in the states, as that seems to be a feature more common on the US connects.
Dagenham Dustbin
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Redlandrebel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:55 am

Yes, Florida. The dealer keeps thinking it is a bad sensor, but I am not buying it. The van only has 15K miles. The directions in the manual does not work. Drive around for 2 minutes over 30 mph and then turn the van to off, back to on, without engine running, hit hazard three times and then the horn should beep. I have tried this about 5 times and it will not reset. There was something else about allowing air out slowly starting with the drivers side, but the instructions are vague. Thanks.
Redlandrebel

Postby Kent Discos » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:11 am

Redlandrebel wrote:Yes, Florida. The dealer keeps thinking it is a bad sensor, but I am not buying it. The van only has 15K miles. The directions in the manual does not work. Drive around for 2 minutes over 30 mph and then turn the van to off, back to on, without engine running, hit hazard three times and then the horn should beep. I have tried this about 5 times and it will not reset. There was something else about allowing air out slowly starting with the drivers side, but the instructions are vague. Thanks.

is someone pulling your leg or are you having a laugh... surely that's not the way to reset it!
Jack Wilson | 2017 Transit Custom 290 130PS from Absolute Vans
Kent Media Group - http://www.kentmediagroup.co.uk | Kent Discos - http://www.kentdiscos.me.uk
Kent Discos
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby howmad » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:35 am

Kent Discos wrote:
Redlandrebel wrote:Yes, Florida. The dealer keeps thinking it is a bad sensor, but I am not buying it. The van only has 15K miles. The directions in the manual does not work. Drive around for 2 minutes over 30 mph and then turn the van to off, back to on, without engine running, hit hazard three times and then the horn should beep. I have tried this about 5 times and it will not reset. There was something else about allowing air out slowly starting with the drivers side, but the instructions are vague. Thanks.

is someone pulling your leg or are you having a laugh... surely that's not the way to reset it!

:D :D :D
09 Swb Trend T220 110....
howmad
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby valetech » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:55 am

Kent Discos wrote:

Was thinking the same thing.when I reset cars after doing
Alloy wheel refurbs you just hit the reset button drive for 20 miles job done
molested by:

19s is how we roll
valetech
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Redlandrebel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:56 pm

I am sorry everyone thinks this is a joke, Here is a pdf of the usermanual. http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/c ... rcog3e.pdf I guess I am the only one who rotates his tires and changes the pressure!
Redlandrebel

Postby kn8a » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:38 am

Redlandrebel is the victim of a very badly written manual here in the states.

I just reread mine and it is as he says. What it fails to make clear is that one must walk around the car with a TPMS "reset tool" which triggers the sensor in each wheel in turn which tells the tpms receiver which sensor is in which wheel position.

The ford (US) tech guide is at http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnec ... 102010.pdf
and the specific details start on pg 16. The tool (basically an electromagnet to trigger a tpms sensor) costs about $20 at the dealer part counter.

US Dealers are having a hell of a time with the TC. My dealer can't seem to get the mechanics to beleive that its really a truck (it's smaller than anything here by far) - at least three times they've filled the tires/tyres with 35 psi all around when the spec is 36 front / 49 rear. The TPMS (which has been mandatory here since 2008) goes off when the rears go below ~40 or so. Redlandrebel - I bet they've underfilled your tires - get the rears up to 49, and I bet the light goes off. The mechanics seem to know next to nothing about the vehicle beyond "it's a Focus with a big box".

Tires are hard to find here, as well. Ford's (how we say it here in Michigan) claims we must put load rating 95 or better on, and there's only the OEM Continentals and the rare and elusive Michelin Agillis listed at tirerack.com as meeting that spec at the stock size. Most truck tires here are 17"-18" it seems. I love Michelins, but the Agillis are outrageously expensive here, marketed for the VW Eurovan. I'm considering Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All Seasons, load rating 94t, for the next set. I don't haul heavy loads, just family stuff. I'm at 40,000 miles on the Contis, the wear bars aren't showing yet, but a rural Michigan winter will soon be upon us, and I live miles from the nearest paved road.

Hang in there Redlandrebel, you're not crazy, and our Brit hosts aren't jiving you.

Cheers, as they say.
kn8a

Postby mrtn » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:06 pm

TPMS are nothing but trouble, reglardless the brand.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Connect