*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

OBD port location

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

OBD port location

Postby Vini » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:37 am

Hi all, can anyone direct me to where the OBD or fault scanner port is located on my 1998 VG diesel 2.5 transit. I have a 16 pin scanner diagnostic tool will this read any faults in my van or do I need another type of scanner

regards
Vini
Vini
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: OBD port location

Postby jay » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:57 am

turbo engine? if n/a diesel it wont have one if turbo need a ford scanner that reads epic pump engines(A few members on here have one and only a few garages have them as well ..
whats up with your van then?
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Vini » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi Jay thanks for your reply bro, my van is a the 2.5 turbo diesel and I'm assuming that I can call it the Australian model although I get most of my parts from the UK via the next. Jay my bus is a winnebago and the transit is a 5speed dual rear wheel model. I've just completed a long trip and every second or so day the engine went into "limp" mode it was basically like the turbo had gone on it, now the thing is that I can turn the engine off leave it for a couple of minutes then come back and she sweet again until the next round which could be hours or days away. I've checked all the visual and obvious things ranging from fuel to air egr etc and wiring that may have come off but all seems well. It still drives ok when it happens but its like driving with the hand brake up. I found a port near the fuel pump but I'm not sure if its the scanner port or something else but it is not the late 16 pin type. It goes like a rocket when it does just when this happens it dies for some reason. The thing is that here in Aust Ford say we don't work on those anymore and the techs that come out havent really got a clue what to look for. Do you know what the scanner is called or another member that can lead me into getting one from the web, Also do you know what the terminology is so I can look for it as in USB, CAN etc etc. Thanks in advance Vini
Vini
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Backbone of Britain » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:22 pm

jay wrote:turbo engine? if n/a diesel it wont have one if turbo need a ford scanner that reads epic pump engines(A few members on here have one and only a few garages have them as well ..
whats up with your van then?

There was one in the fuse box under the spare fuse holder in both my 96 70ps and 99 76ps Transits
2006 Mk6 115 T350 LWB Highroof
2008 Mk7 115 T350 LX LWB Highroof
Backbone of Britain
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Vini » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Thanks backbone tried looking there but no luck there must be a difference between the pommy transit and Australian sold, does anyone else have any idea where this port could be????
Vini
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:02 am

To be honest, if that is the same as the UK vans, with a Lucas EPIC turbo system, then you OBD reader will be no good anyway, you'll need a Lucas Laser 2000 reader to be any use :?

How old is the timing belt :?: A worn one can put the van into limp home mode, as it sees the timing as being incorrect :)
When you switch off the engine, does it run on at all :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby AndyG » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:14 am

The socket IS behind the spare fuses :!:
The spare fuses are mounted on a dummy plug, covering the socket, so this needs to be pulled off :wink:
(See fuse box diagram on lid)

You may get some sort of reading if you select Ford Granada Diesel, but it may lead you up the garden path :|

The best portable tool will be the Lucas Laser 2000 with the correct pods :!:

The Transit was the first ever light commercial vehicle to use fly by wire and as such, there was no agreed system back in 1992 when it first came out :|

But as Altransit has already said, the belt is probably well overdue :wink:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Vini » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:19 pm

Altransit and Andyg thanks for your replies, in answering questions, I did a major service before the trip, hoses, tappet set, all filters, all belts including the timing so that will exclude that and in saying this I would imagine that if the belt was at fault it would automatically limp mode upon driving it would not be intremit??? The engine doesnt run on after switching off, like I say it starts and runs like a dream until it limp modes. My van is the electronic fuel pump system as in it does not runan accelerator cable so I take it that it i the lucas system.

Andyg when you say behind the fuse box, this is the one under the dash correct? as I've pulled it off and there is nothing under there apart from the related wires to the box itself. I was under the impression that all OBD ports are meant to be visible and should not need any other bits removed to access it. Failing this assumption I've found a port in the engine bay next to the fuseable link box on the drivers side of the engine but its oval in shape witha couple of terminals in it its not the 16 pin type. Would this be a scanner port or does my van (if it has one) have the 16 pin rectangular shape with slightly slopped shorts edges. Would there be anything else you guys or any other memebers can think of that I could look at either a fuel valve/relay or could it possibly be the ECU and would the scan bring this up.

Andyg where could I score the right scanner for this thing, I've looked on ebay and nothing comes up under that heading does 2000 mean the year>>
Vini
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Backbone of Britain » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Vini wrote:Altransit and Andyg thanks for your replies, in answering questions, I did a major service before the trip, hoses, tappet set, all filters, all belts including the timing so that will exclude that and in saying this I would imagine that if the belt was at fault it would automatically limp mode upon driving it would not be intremit??? The engine doesnt run on after switching off, like I say it starts and runs like a dream until it limp modes. My van is the electronic fuel pump system as in it does not runan accelerator cable so I take it that it i the lucas system.

Andyg when you say behind the fuse box, this is the one under the dash correct? as I've pulled it off and there is nothing under there apart from the related wires to the box itself. I was under the impression that all OBD ports are meant to be visible and should not need any other bits removed to access it. Failing this assumption I've found a port in the engine bay next to the fuseable link box on the drivers side of the engine but its oval in shape witha couple of terminals in it its not the 16 pin type. Would this be a scanner port or does my van (if it has one) have the 16 pin rectangular shape with slightly slopped shorts edges. Would there be anything else you guys or any other memebers can think of that I could look at either a fuel valve/relay or could it possibly be the ECU and would the scan bring this up.

Andyg where could I score the right scanner for this thing, I've looked on ebay and nothing comes up under that heading does 2000 mean the year>>

On our UK Transits, the OBD port is not behind the fusebox, its in it amongst the fuses.
There is a spare fuse holder in the middle of all the fuses which (from memory) holds about 4 or 6 spare fuses. You need to pull the fuse holder out to reveal the OBD port, you shouldn't see any wires. If the fuse holder is missing the OBD port will be staring you in the face.
2006 Mk6 115 T350 LWB Highroof
2008 Mk7 115 T350 LX LWB Highroof
Backbone of Britain
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby AndyG » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:28 pm

Who said behind the fuse box :?: :?: :?: :?:

IN IT :!:
Have a look where it says FDS :!:

Now pull off the spare fuse holder :!:
The bit with 6 fuses on it :!:

Bingo!
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Vini » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:44 pm

WHAT A GREAT SIGHT THIS FORUM IS, Andyg found it I didnt think they would hide the thing behind fuses, thanks to all who replied, people like you who take the time to read and reply makes the word helpful have meaning. Keep up the sight and good work that goes into it.
kind regards
Vini
Vini
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:45 pm

Nice to be appreciated Vini, cheers buddy :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby swbdave » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:10 pm

do i need a special code reader if there is a obd port on a 1998 2.0i petrol???? is the port in the same place?
Transit 1997 DOHC 2.0 EFI 115PS Pepper Red Metallic Daily driver-Keeper
Transit 1998 85PS turbo diesel automatic van with windows 52k from new needs arches all round daily driver a keeper will be tuning the engine with injectors from Tim
swbdave
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby APH » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:07 am

Vini wrote:Hi Jay thanks for your reply bro, my van is a the 2.5 turbo diesel and I'm assuming that I can call it the Australian model although I get most of my parts from the UK via the next. Jay my bus is a winnebago and the transit is a 5speed dual rear wheel model. I've just completed a long trip and every second or so day the engine went into "limp" mode it was basically like the turbo had gone on it, now the thing is that I can turn the engine off leave it for a couple of minutes then come back and she sweet again until the next round which could be hours or days away. I've checked all the visual and obvious things ranging from fuel to air egr etc and wiring that may have come off but all seems well. It still drives ok when it happens but its like driving with the hand brake up. I found a port near the fuel pump but I'm not sure if its the scanner port or something else but it is not the late 16 pin type. It goes like a rocket when it does just when this happens it dies for some reason. The thing is that here in Aust Ford say we don't work on those anymore and the techs that come out havent really got a clue what to look for. Do you know what the scanner is called or another member that can lead me into getting one from the web, Also do you know what the terminology is so I can look for it as in USB, CAN etc etc. Thanks in advance Vini

Remove the big multiplug on the back of the injection pump and clean the contacts (a proper spray type contact cleaner is best), plug on and off a few times to clean the mating pins too, then try it...have seen a few with random EML light / limp home faults due to corrosion / loose connections in this plug :wink:
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mazlyn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:54 am

I have exactly the same problem with the exact same van here in Sydney, I changed the air flow sensor and problem went away for a couple of months, now it has returned so I am going to change it again. The only difference this time is that it does actually run on for 20 seconds or so after I with it off and its not the Turbo Cooler.All help would be massively appreciated
Mazlyn

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions