*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

any one had hole/crack in piston probs with 2.2 mk7.??

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

any one had hole/crack in piston probs with 2.2 mk7.??

Postby psv-hgv-flt » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:22 pm

any one had hole/crack in piston probs with 2.2 mk7.?? 130 ps.
:?: :?:
psv-hgv-flt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: any one had hole/crack in piston probs with 2.2 mk7.??

Postby ake » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:32 pm

Lots, caused by overfueling injectors, usually because they need a pump/ pilot learn on IDS but people won't take it to the Ford dealers
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby dieseldel » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:41 pm

hi
yep done lots of these now, infact its the most common form of failure, or it is on the ones i have repaired, common knowledge that over-fuelling caused by knackered injector causes these failures, or at least its common knowledge on this forum but i cant say i am convinced its injectors failing causing it, when i have had customer check out injectors (at great expence) they usually check out ok !!! my view is that the pistons arent up to the job, to make engines more efficient the pistons have been lightened and under heavy load they just crack, burning then follows the crack and burns a hole in piston, hole usually exits on oil control ring and burns pocket in block, also heavy scoring of cylinder wall , bore, sleeve and bore back to standard is my method of repair, its a bit like a production line in my place at the moment doing 2.2s and 2.4 tdci,s ----------------love em
it was like that before i touched it !!
dieseldel
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby psv-hgv-flt » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:14 pm

dieseldel wrote:hi
yep done lots of these now, infact its the most common form of failure, or it is on the ones i have repaired, common knowledge that over-fuelling caused by knackered injector causes these failures, or at least its common knowledge on this forum but i cant say i am convinced its injectors failing causing it, when i have had customer check out injectors (at great expence) they usually check out ok !!! my view is that the pistons arent up to the job, to make engines more efficient the pistons have been lightened and under heavy load they just crack, burning then follows the crack and burns a hole in piston, hole usually exits on oil control ring and burns pocket in block, also heavy scoring of cylinder wall , bore, sleeve and bore back to standard is my method of repair, its a bit like a production line in my place at the moment doing 2.2s and 2.4 tdci,s ----------------love em

hmmmm, sounds a big £££££ job then. :roll:
psv-hgv-flt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ake » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:55 pm

dieseldel wrote:hi

Its not the injectors themselves, but the calibration in the ecu which causes the overfuelling
ake
Site Moderator

Postby kulataz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:06 pm

yes mine did the same thing. No2 piston usually I am told. ford must know about it cos their short motor has drastically reduced in price so they must be aware. It cost me £2.5K to fix mine yet it now runs worse than before. Mine is now down on power, hesitates a stutters and in 4th between 30-40mph it starts to kangaroo. I hate it right now.

G

PS anyone want a spare 2.2 block...lol
kulataz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cossie7 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:12 am

I'll have the spare block lol
ID RATHER PUSH A TRANSIT THAN DRIVE A SPRINTER!!!
cossie7
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Les111ROC » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:37 pm

ake wrote:Lots, caused by overfueling injectors, usually because they need a pump/ pilot learn on IDS but people won't take it to the Ford dealers

Mine had pump learn & stock map installed shortly before piston died :(
Les111ROC
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:08 am

Les111ROC wrote:
ake wrote:Lots, caused by overfueling injectors, usually because they need a pump/ pilot learn on IDS but people won't take it to the Ford dealers

Damage may have already been done though :(
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Tdci_boy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:55 am

My 2007 2.2 130ps had the exact same thing about a year ago :-( wish I had known this was an issue, I would have really ripped into my local dealer & investigated further, I just accepted it as one of those unfortunate things & martynx fitted an almost new 2009 140 with it's 6 speed box, chuffed to bits with it but now I'm bloody well annoyed :-(
Transit Custom Limited H1 L2 DCIV, now converted to van by removing the seats etc so now twin side loading doors, fully kitted out with Sortimo racking, always loaded to capacity & averages 35mpg :D
Tdci_boy
GLX Posse

Postby martynx » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:02 pm

Les111ROC wrote:

Yours died Les :!: :!: :?: :?: ? thats rough :( did you get to the bottom of that knocking noise prior :?:

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Les111ROC » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:25 pm

martynx wrote:
Les111ROC wrote:

Yours died Les :!: :!: :?: :?: ? thats rough :( did you get to the bottom of that knocking noise prior :?:

Yes as you correctly diagnosed it was crank pulley nackered.
Les111ROC
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ovlov » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:00 pm

How do you no that they may need this doing :?:
I'm thinking of changing my mk6 for a mk7 110ps just want to no what to look for :?
I want to live forever so far so good
ovlov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby nofearvan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:18 pm

yes it's just happened to my 2011 transit trend which has only done 51000 miles and this has been serviced every 10000 miles at a reputable garage. The garage who look after my van can't believe this has happened to such a well maintained van and are dealing with Ford directly to see if they can resolve anything. Is there anyone out there who has had any luck themselves ? Every bit of information helps ( I hope ) It's quite obvious there's a problem with these 2.2's and Ford need to man up to this :x
nofearvan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits