*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

connect tdci changing timing belt - tools needed?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

connect tdci changing timing belt - tools needed?

Postby ant720 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Hiya, first post here..

I have a 05 tdci connect with 100k miles, I am gonna try change the timing belt myself. I am pretty handy but no experience really of working on car engines (have done drive belt change and oil filter) and also not many tools here, basically just screwdrivers and socket set!

I have the gates timing belt kit with the new tensioner and I have the haynes manual

my question - what tools do I need?

the books show using a timing pin (10mm threaded thing), a flat bit of metal and other bits to stop the engine turning - how necessary are these parts, is it easy to improvise using bits of other stuff or other methods?

also - a threaded puller to pull the crankshaft sprocket off - is this 100% necessary? are there other methods? can I make one easily?

are there any other tools needed that will trip me up? I just don't want to get halfway then get stuck with engine everywhere...

any help would be really appreciated
thanks, Anthony
ant720

Re: connect tdci changing timing belt - tools needed?

Postby GKandR4CH » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:56 pm

You may need one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Tr ... 3cc2aacdb4

You must lock everything into position and at the right angles or BOOOOOOM!!
Read the forum rules
GKandR4CH
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Wobby » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:19 am

Not sure what GK has linked to above, looks like a mondeo tensioner bolt?

I would get the full locking kithttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-1-8-TDDI ... 3368be0944. Something like this. I have a kit but it didn't include the cam sprocket puller (this one does)

You can do the belt change without loosening the sprocket but its not the correct way and you wont time the engine exactly right. I used a puller i had in my garage on mine and managed to break a chunk off the cam sprocket! Luckily i had a spare.

You must lock the engine up though but you can use a piece of threaded bar and a piece of flat bar, i think the Hyanes manual may mention it?
Wobby
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby mattvik30 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:45 am

Im pretty handy myself but not an expert when it comes to car engines. I would personally get a mechanic to change it as if you do it wrong its going to cost mega bucks to fix. I would leave this one to the proffesionals if i was you.
Tourneo connect 90ps Remapped by Vantuner, Mondy interior handles, Full SS exhaust with pptuning de-cat, Chrome Sportvan Grille, Fiesta St Seats, Dvd Player with Kenwood speakers,
Clear Side Repeaters, K&N Air Filter, Sportvan Sideskirts
mattvik30
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Wobby » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:43 pm

mattvik30 wrote:Im pretty handy myself but not an expert when it comes to car engines. I would personally get a mechanic to change it as if you do it wrong its going to cost mega bucks to fix. I would leave this one to the proffesionals if i was you.

I've changed cam belts on every car i have ever owned, have to say the connect is the easiest as its half chain driven.
Wobby
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby GKandR4CH » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:49 pm

Wobby wrote:Not sure what GK has linked to above, looks like a mondeo tensioner bolt?

I would get the full locking kithttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-1-8-TDDI ... 3368be0944. Something like this. I have a kit but it didn't include the cam sprocket puller (this one does)

You can do the belt change without loosening the sprocket but its not the correct way and you wont time the engine exactly right. I used a puller i had in my garage on mine and managed to break a chunk off the cam sprocket! Luckily i had a spare.

You must lock the engine up though but you can use a piece of threaded bar and a piece of flat bar, i think the Hyanes manual may mention it?

No definately Transit Connect!!
Read the forum rules
GKandR4CH
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby taz666 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:12 pm

where abouts are you, i have my own special tools to do the job
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby ant720 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:27 pm

hey all thanks for the input. Since it's the first time I'm doing something like this I'm going to get the kit with locking bits and cog puller suggested by wobby, thanks. I guess I will try sell it after I'm done.

Any tips on stuff like where to support the engine from when I take the mount off? would hate to dent/break stuff on the bottom of the engine.

cheers, Anthony
ant720

Postby blue estate » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:55 pm

ant720 wrote:hey all thanks for the input. Since it's the first time I'm doing something like this I'm going to get the kit with locking bits and cog puller suggested by wobby, thanks. I guess I will try sell it after I'm done.

Any tips on stuff like where to support the engine from when I take the mount off? would hate to dent/break stuff on the bottom of the engine.

cheers, Anthony

just use a block of wood on the jack
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby ant720 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:39 am

hey all thanks for your help I changed the timing belt myself yesterday took about 4 hours. First time I had ever done stuff like that on an engine.
not hard at all but quite a lot of bits had to come off, alternator& mount, starter motor etc

was a bit miffed as the old belt (100k miles) looked in perfect condition though!

saved myself the 300 odd quids I was being quoted - but I now have the timing tool kit (pin, bar and cog-locker) and cog puller which I gonna sell on ebay unless anyone wants to buy it here?

thanks again all, Anthony
ant720

Return to Transit Connect