*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1998 2.5 Di Sudden Onset Smoke

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

1998 2.5 Di Sudden Onset Smoke

Postby Docara » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi All,

I have the 'usual' sudden onset 3 cylinders and shed loads of paraffin smelling smoke problem. .

The problem I have Is that I've just started a new job and need to stay on the road for a month till a vehicle (and my first pay packet) arrives. I'm working in Hemel Hempstead and all my tools are back home in Torquay and I don't know the area. I need some pointers where I can go to get some help sorting the my van, where there are any scrappers, cheap motorfactors or freindly garages etc etc. I'm pretty sure I've got crap in the injector after I had to let the tank go low after the recent fuel 'crisis', but reckon ultimately I might need access to a compression tester.

I've cracked the top of each injector and haven't been able to hear any disernable difference in engine tone (it dips on all, I think, unless I opened it too much).

If sometone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Regards
Matt
Docara
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 1998 2.5 Di Sudden Onset Smoke

Postby uk speedbird » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi Doc,

If your van is starting and running ok try this.

My van has run on three cylinders on and off for years, puffing out smoke on cold start up's etc.
I did the usual, crack the injectors as per Haynes manual etc to no avail.

A month back after becoming used to the intermitent rough running she just started running smooth all by herself!
At the same time I notice she was leaking fuel, and after a brief investigation under the hood I found my fuel filter drain tap (on the bottom of the filter) had worked loose and was leaking a small amount of diesel!!

The Haynes manual tells you to check the injectors with the engine running, but it never says air can get trapped in the actual filter, which it clearly must have done with my old girl!

Try loosening off the drain tap a little (obviously put a container underneath) and then run the engine for a while to simulate driving and see if that clears it.

Might work, might not, but this has worked on my van even if she did it all by herself with no help from her mystified driver!! :shock:

Speed.
uk speedbird
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby IgorVigor » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:43 am

Rynning on 3 cylinders due to a bit of air in injector one is common.....

The pouring out shedloads of paraffin smelling smoke.....that sounds like one of the injectors might not be overly healthy :S
IgorVigor
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Docara » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi both thanks for the replies

Just to confirm the smoke Is pretty much continuous and is horrendous within 100yds of driving (barely warm)

Is there a way I can ' block' / limit the fuel to an injector for a while so I don't get the smoke but can still drive it so I have options
Docara
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby uk speedbird » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Docara wrote:Hi both thanks for the replies

Just to confirm the smoke Is pretty much continuous and is horrendous within 100yds of driving (barely warm)

Is there a way I can ' block' / limit the fuel to an injector for a while so I don't get the smoke but can still drive it so I have options

Have you checked the timing by inserting timing pegs in the crank, pump and cam?
If you have a dodgy injector cracking the defective one should stop the smoke, as far as I know this is the only way to find a defective injector in situ.
If it still puffs smoke after trying this i'd suspect the timing. These vans have been know to jump the belts putting the timing out slightly.

Speed.
uk speedbird
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby landiman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:14 pm

Yes definately do a cambelt check... done mine yesterday, now all timing lines up and starts first turn of the key.. happy days :D before that it took ages to start and quite a bit of smoke produced when it finally started :roll:
landiman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Docara » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi all

Yeah I tried cracking them again just ended up getting pools of diesel on the engine.
Smoke is there on all cylinders don't think timing is out it starts excactly the same as before.
Docara
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Docara » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi all

Yeah I tried cracking them again just ended up getting pools of diesel on the engine.
Smoke is there on all cylinders don't think timing is out it starts excactly the same as before.
Docara
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby btvanowner » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Perhaps if you put up where you are someone might be able to help
ACCIDENTS ARE NOT FUNNY UNLESS ITS SOMEONE ELSE.....THEN ITS HILARIOUS
btvanowner
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits