*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cleaning MK7 2.4 RWD EGR Valve

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Postby cts1975 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:58 pm

We have our transit booked in for an inspection this week. Its running like a bag of at the moment. I changed the MAF sensor (on top of airfilter housing?) which has improved tick over but not the flat spot and loss of power on accelration. I'm convinced the EGR needs cleaning. The reason I suspect this is that because I took the MAP sensor off to give that a clean a swell and it was covered in black tar like goo. I managed to get it quite clean and refitted. Again it didnt improve the performance. I drove it for approx 200 miles and checked the MAP sensor and it was cover in the same black tar like goo again after a short distance.

So I'm after some help to pass onto the mechanic on how to remove the egr and clean it? I wanted to find out as the longer he takes to do it the longer its off the road which I need to avoid. Hes been honest enough and said he hasnt don one on a MK7 but has done plenty on the MK6 - he seems to think its awkward to remove and clean?

Thanks for any help.
cts1975
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Cleaning MK7 2.4 RWD EGR Valve

Postby cts1975 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:07 pm

Cheeky BUMP as I posted during the day - does anybody have a link to some guidance on cleaning the EGR?
Thanks
cts1975
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Mk7 egr usually needs replaced rather than cleaned
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby martynx » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:39 pm

I 'd agree , cleaning wont help in most cases on a mk7, unlike on Mk6's..

Easier & cheaper ( than cleaning ) is to disconnect the EGR & test , or fit a blanking plate & test if you think its stuck open..

All "should " run poorly with it unplugged / blanked, some run OK though ;) either way its a good & easy way to test to see if the EGR is the problem.. poorly is lack of throttle response or a delay in acceleration, this is because the mapping is looking for the gas the EGR contributes, ( up to 25% of the total mass of gas intake !) do-sent see it , then sees its as a fault) Euro 3 spec engines dont care, Euro 4's do , hence the possibility of poor running & , after some miles , maybe 70, the engine check / MIL light will come on....

From the top it does look like a birch off a job but to get a plate in , but lie under van & the 2 input side flange bolts ( 10mm hex) are easy to see / get at :)

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby cts1975 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like they cant be cleaned so need to be repalced - how will they know if it needs replacing?

Also - would the MAP sensor get covered in gunk if the EGR had failed / got gunked up?

I was considering a new MAP sensor before EGR - would it be worth a try?
Its had 3 or 4 PCM updates and a pressure release valve (?) fitted by ford dealers but no improvement - I've given up on Ford dealer now. :( :(

Thanks for your help. Its on a daily school contract at the moment so It needs to be right with out being off the road for to long.
On a positive not i've found a place in warrington that does genuine ford parts really cheap. The sold me a new genuine MAF sensor for £50 inc vat and ford dealers quoted £136 + Vat.

PS Just looked at your website Martyn - its seems like the EGR causes havoc if you have gone to the trouble and found away to delete them.
cts1975
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby pablo12325 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:47 pm

I recomend Martyn he wil find and solve the problem, if it is egr then he will eliminaite it for you... :wink:
WHEN IN DOUBT... GRAB A BEER... AND LEAVE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE
pablo12325
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby martynx » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:56 pm

EGR's were the original big problem with MK7's .. there have been a couple of revisions since, one with metal rather than plastic gears :roll: & then a water cooled metal geared one..

Still giving loads of problems but , (purely from what i see here ) fuel pr4essure control issues are the main problem these days..

The MAP sensors still work gunked up but work better / run better clean.. just clean out the sensor with a paint brush & WD40 every so often..

With the EGR deleted they wont gunk up half as much...

Yours sound like whatever s causing the problem hasn't been fixed yet, sorry to state the obvious :wink:

With all that PCM update stuff already carried out on yours , I'd unplug the EGR & see if any symptoms change, or if you can get the fault codes read, & any are EGR/MAF related like below, blank the EGR's feed & test again..

P0404 - General EGR code
P0401/2/3, too much . too little EGR etc
P1103/4 MAF sensor reading to high or too low , this indicates a faulty EGR not a faulty MAF sensor. Its the MAF sensor sitting upstream effectively monitoring the EGR that results in the 1103/2 codes, most of the time..

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby martynx » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:58 pm

pablo12325 wrote:I recomend Martyn he wil find and solve the problem, if it is egr then he will eliminaite it for you... :wink:

Cheers Pablo :wink: , but with our Man being based in Cheshire, just trying to enlighten a little :D

martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby pablo12325 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:04 pm

By the way Martyn I have got to get one of my punters transits over to you real soon to sod the egr off if you could sir.... :D
WHEN IN DOUBT... GRAB A BEER... AND LEAVE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE
pablo12325
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby martynx » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:58 pm

pablo12325 wrote:By the way Martyn I have got to get one of my punters transits over to you real soon to sod the egr off if you could sir.... :D

Sure no problem:)

martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby cts1975 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks Martyn

Just to clarify then - they can unplug the EGR and then test drive. If the hesitation/lack of power disappears then its the EGR that needs replacing?

They do have a code reader diagnostics computer so i'm sure that will bring up any codes.
It had a 'fuel pressure release valve' (??) fitted at ford last year - so I can add that to the list of changes that have not cured it :lol:
If I cant get to the bottom of it this week I may well make a packed lunch and head down to Middlesex one day in the school holidays - it would be quicker I think !

Thanks for your help.
cts1975
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby martynx » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:09 pm

Yes unplugging will do that unless the valves stuck open... you'd need a blanking plate in that case...

martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ake » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:40 pm

cts1975 wrote:Thanks Martyn

Just to clarify then - they can unplug the EGR and then test drive. If the hesitation/lack of power disappears then its the EGR that needs replacing?

They do have a code reader diagnostics computer so i'm sure that will bring up any codes.
It had a 'fuel pressure release valve' (??) fitted at ford last year - so I can add that to the list of changes that have not cured it :lol:
If I cant get to the bottom of it this week I may well make a packed lunch and head down to Middlesex one day in the school holidays - it would be quicker I think !

Thanks for your help.

The fuel pressure relief valve needs to be accompanied by an update and pump/pilot learn on ids, other wise it will fail again
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby cts1975 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:48 pm

So an update. It went in today and they put the fault code reader on and didn't find any faults.
So they disconnected the EGR plug and I took it for a drive - it was a lot better. It responded better and the power was smooth without the 'choking' under powered symtoms it had before. I took it back to them after a 5 mile run and they plugged the code reader in again with the EGR still unplugged.
It came up with the following codes as 'pending' :
P1409 ( from google search :EGR Vacuum Regulator circuit malfunction?)
P1402 (from google search : EGR Metering Orifice Restricted ?)

So the 2 code look to make sense against the EGR being unplugged

I got them to plug the old EGR back in and I will return tomorrow to have the new EGR fitted. I managed to get a new genuine EGR this afternoon for £115 inc VAT :D
This will be getting fitted in the morning.
Thanks again.
cts1975
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cts1975 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:14 am

So the new EGR was fitted and it seemed to run alot better.
But then friday and saturday it reverted back to poor running.
It doesnt run badly all the time. I can accelerate in say 2nd into 3rd and 4th and its like brand new and full of power and really smooth.
Then half a mile later when going through the gears its terrible like its running out of fuel. Its just loses power midway through the rev range normally just after 3k RPM.

My gut feeling is that there is not enough fuel getting through when the turbo starts to spin up. If I accelerate slowly its not always present or at worst not as bad.

We had a couple of Ford galaxis years ago with the 1.9TDI VW engine and they were renowned for the MAF sensors going - we replaced them a few times.
Both seem to have the same symtoms of the engine choking and almost running out of fuel and the engine backs right down on power mid way through the gear.
Is there a cheap way of checking the fuel sysytem when it running - a cheap scanner off fleabay maybe?

Thanks
Ian
cts1975
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits