*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

EGR fault?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

EGR fault?

Postby Skippy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:20 pm

Hi everyone. Just gone through all the how to's on EGR valves. I have a 1999 turbo diesel with an epic pump. Can the EGR's be modified on these? I tried the old "ball bearing & cable tie trick" but engine screamed out for breath! My motor idle's up all the time but when it's cold or a cold day it runs like a dream. Turn the airconditioner on & that reduces idle down to 850rpm. Went to ford, plugged it in on the computer, showed EGR fault. Bought a new EGR & controller but still has a problem. Has ran in safe mode occasionally but turn ignition off & then on whilst in motion & she's away again. Air filter is ok, it does blow a bit of black smoke frequently but not excessive. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Skippy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndyG » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:07 pm

Have you changed the fuel filter :?:

Have you ever run out of diesel :?:

How many miles has it done :?:

Any other repairs carried out on it in the past :?:

Auto or manual :?:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

EGR probs

Postby hentpe » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:23 am

If tester gives you EGR fault codes don´t panic. Just replace intake side EGR-valves metal gasket with self made one that has no middle hole. You dont have to worry about those codes because they just cause that engine light will be on little longer after starting.

But if your engines idle rises by it self when engine is hot try to change temperature sensor (in turbo engines it´s that one facing to the right). In here we have had few cases.
Petri Henttula
hentpe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: EGR probs

Postby AndyG » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:54 pm

hentpe wrote:If tester gives you EGR fault codes don´t panic. Just replace intake side EGR-valves metal gasket with self made one that has no middle hole. You dont have to worry about those codes because they just cause that engine light will be on little longer after starting.

This will, most certainly cut any smoke caused by the EGR valve :wink:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby AndyG » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:59 pm

hentpe wrote:But if your engines idle rises by it self when engine is hot try to change temperature sensor (in turbo engines it´s that one facing to the right). In here we have had few cases.

This is just typical of garages reading codes :!:
They simply don't have a clue :roll: :roll: :!: how to read the codes correctly because if they did, this fault would have been picked up, as it's part of the EPIC system :!:

Garages :evil: :evil: :evil:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby AndyG » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:18 pm

hentpe wrote:(in turbo engines it´s that one facing to the right).
:? :? :?
In the UK, they stick out to the left :!: :? :?

Or are we not talking about the same thing :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Skippy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:37 pm

Well, what a response, :D thankyou! I change the fuel filter every 5000km's, & it's done 220,000km's. it's a manual. The van was bought with no fuel in as the epic pump was leaking around the front seal due to premature front bearing failure so a new one was shipped over from MI diesels in lancashire. The temp sensor i'll definately try - it is to the left as uk models. Egr blanking plate will be a nice little project! Looks like i'll be spending some quality time with my baby!! & hopefully some results real soon. Thanks again!!
Skippy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MrMPuk » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:40 pm

I'm not sure you can bloke the EGR on the turbos.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Skippy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:52 pm

Well i guess i can give it a go. I did put the ball bearing up the tube on egr but coughed & farted out some hideous looking exhaust emissions & wouldn't rev up over 1500rpm. You might be right MrMPuk.
Last edited by Skippy on Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skippy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndyG » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:19 pm

Skippy wrote:[I'm not sure you can bloke the EGR on the turbos.]
well i guess i can give it a go. I did put the ball bearing up the tube on egr but coughed & farted out some hideous looking exhaust emissions & wouldn't rev up over 1500rpm. You might be right MrMPuk.
Yes you can BLANK/BLOCK off the exhaust gasses going up the tube to the EGR at the exhaust end of the pipe :!: :D
Two small bolts, lift slightly, remove metal gasket, use as template and make one without the hole in the middle :D Now fit new metal gasket, jobs a goodun :!: :D

The EPIC system cannot tell whether exhaust gasses are going passed the EGR or not :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D SORTED :!:
It can still move the EGR valve around and send messages to and from the ECU :D = Everybody is happy :D
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Skippy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:50 pm

AndyG...................Youre a star!!!!!!!!!! :D thanks.
Skippy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndyG » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:59 pm

Skippy wrote:AndyG...................Youre a star!!!!!!!!!! :D thanks.

Have you carried out the trick that hentpe and I suggested :?:

And have you changed the temperature sensor :?: (about £20 :( )

Are you cured :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Skippy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:05 pm

Andyg it,s beer o'clock on a friday night so will be looking at it over the weekend if i can find my enthusiasm - i put it down somewhere & can't see it !
Skippy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Skippy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:07 pm

:shock: Gee i've been quoted $190 over here for this temp sensor, guess i'll be getting one off ebay U.k. or transit part centre
Skippy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndyG » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:10 pm

:shock: :shock: Forgot you're on the other side of the world :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
AndyG
Site Admin

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions