*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk1 Ex landliner going full custom

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Mk1 Ex landliner going full custom

Postby toppetsaha » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:46 pm

I've been itching to stick a post up about this project.. I will follow up with a full write up following the build but here are the basics:

Picked up a mk1 landliner over 2 years ago & ripped off the sides to make way for a new lightweight coach 'ish' build. So far I've got it stripped & it's on the rotisserie ready for a load more cleaning up.

But as I have had to focus on work again I won't get chance to get stuck in to the build for a couple of months. Here's the photo of the donor car anyway... Image
MK1 - Camper project
MK6 2.4 75ps
MK7 2.4 100ps
toppetsaha
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Mk1 Ex landliner going full custom

Postby camper extraudinair » Fri May 07, 2021 7:24 pm

ce (160).jpg
Hi there, lots of questions as you go along, will it still be a camper when finished ?, what engine are you going to put in it or are you going to keep us in suspenders,
are you going manual or auto geargox, also are you going to change the axcle's & fit power steering, looking forward to progress, here is a picture of mine, good luck
& hope you finish it, unlike mine which is still in progress 23 years after i bought it ?.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
camper extraudinair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby toppetsaha » Sun May 16, 2021 8:28 am

Nice clean van there I did plan on getting most of it done this year but as usual work seems to take priority...

I'm going for my own take on 'modern classic' it's going to have modern running gear including coil front suspension (possibly rear aswell if I can get away with it) oh and a nice big M62 V8 engine with manual gearbox. Already got the donor vehicle for the engine/running gear just need to source a manual gearbox.

There's going to be a lot of fabrication on this build & she's up on the rotisserie at the moment ready to have the bulkhead removed to start the tube work.

The interior cab will be kept original wherever I can, the dash will probably have to be moved back a bit to fit in the monster engine as I don't want to change the outside other than wide-ish arches..

It is going to be kept as a camper but more of a coach build rather than landliner. As we have always had panel Van conversions I quite like the idea of having a big sliding door on the side..
We sold our last one a couple of years a go as we needed the money for our house, were desperate to get another on the road though especially as we've done nothing but work for the last couple of years

ImageImage
MK1 - Camper project
MK6 2.4 75ps
MK7 2.4 100ps
toppetsaha
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby camper extraudinair » Wed May 19, 2021 5:19 pm

Looking forward to progress, what size engine is the bmw & what axcle's are you going to use, will the bmw one's be any use ?,
good luck with your project.
camper extraudinair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Customising and one offs