*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Kiwi Mk1 LWB Turbo 4L

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Kiwi Mk1 LWB Turbo 4L

Postby conrod » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:03 pm

I thought I would get a bit of a thread going on the Mk1 I bought 2 years ago. It has been in storage at my mums place a couple of hours away, but I have been collecting parts quietly for it, and have recently secured a good workshop for free so will trailer it up here soon and get started on it. It is a 1975 LWB, originally a 2.0L V4. The previous owner had begun to fit a Falcon 4.0 SOHC six cylinder into it. He had chopped a big hole in the floor, sat the engine in the hole, and that was about it :? I bought it less engine, and trailered it back to my mothers place, it took over 7 hours in the pouring rain to get it back there. :shock: The body is fairly sound, there is some rust around the headlights, a few small bits on the gutter on each side, and a little in the lower front corners, and thats about it I think. Underneath had been havily undersealed since new, and since we don't put salt on our roads the underside is rust free as far as I can tell :D

Anyway, time for some pics.

Trailering it home:

I managed to find a 9" diff, already converted with Transit axle tubes and brakes:

and bolted into place:

Originally it had been panelled over in the rear with a moulded fibreglass panel, I think someone was going to convert to a campervan?

Ten minutes with a skilsaw dealt to that, fortunately all of the door shuts had been left intact. So I found a pair of rear doors, and they bolted straight in:

Some of the NOS parts I have been collecting. I also have a new diesel grill panel now, rear valance, cab sills (just in case!) diesel front bumper, rear bumpers and rear wheelarch flares. I still need a diesel bonnet, diesel front valance, and the front bumper infill panels, if anyone knows of any new or mint used parts please let me know. I can arrange collection from just about anywhere if required in the UK.

Originally I bought this engine, a brand new never-been-run BA Falcon "Barra" Turbo six. This engine produces 320hp and 330 lb.ft in stock form, with a measly 6psi of boost (plenty of scope for more :lol: )

I then found a similar engine from a Ford Territory, slightly more power (330hp) but it was a better package I felt, as the top mount intercooler would work better in the Transit, and it was a complete package, with all wiring, ECU, electronic throttle, alternator, starter etc. So I sold the original Turbo engine.

And that about brings me up to date. The plan is to acid dip the entrire bodyshell, and start with a nice bare metal shell to commence the build. I want it to look basically stock from the exterior, I will fill in the side windows, fit the diesel front, and it will run the original 14" wheels with dually rears. I will keep this updated as I make progress. Should be a fun old bus by the time it is finished :D

Conrad
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Kiwi Mk1 LWB Turbo 4L

Postby AndyG » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Well 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:20 pm

sweet project 8) 8) 8)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby YETANOTHERANDY! » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:26 am

Looks like a really clean base to build on. Keep the pics coming.
YETANOTHERANDY!
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby conrod » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:16 am

YETANOTHERANDY! wrote:Looks like a really clean base to build on. Keep the pics coming.

thanks guys.

Yes I looked for several years to find this, as I wanted a LWB and they are quite rare over here (even the SWB's are hard to find. I found a couple that were rotten, but I cannot be bothered with fixing something like that. The other option was to import a German Firevan, something a friend of mine here has already done (damn those 1.7 V4's are slow!)

This one has quite a good bodyshell, and fortunately none of the previous owners attempts at customising/modifications had too much effect on what I wanted to achieve. Will post some more pics when I get it up here and sit the engine in place. :D

Conrad
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AlanN » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:27 pm

Ive bookmarked this thread :D
Ford Transit MK3 1989 2.8i V6 Auto Member of the MK3 Massive

R.I.P Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby conrod » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:12 am

Picked up the van this weekend from my mums barn about 2 1/2 hours away and brought it to my workshop. Van was about 20mm too wide for the trailer, so I removed one of the rear wheels, which did the trick. So it is tucked up inside my workshop now, and I will get into it very soon. :D

and a shot from the front, I know its not a Transit but at least its British :lol:

Conrad
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Altransit » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:46 pm

Looking good Conrad :D You shouldn't really let Luke see those pics, it gives him ideas :lol:

Good to see the 400 is earning its keep 8) :wink:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby AndyG » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:21 pm

8)
V6 towing :D
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby conrod » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:39 am

AndyG wrote:8)

Ahem, thats a V8! :D Original Police van, factory fitted Rover 3.5L V8 with 5 speed box. I am just rebuilding a 4.6 RangeRover V8 injection engine to go in there. 8)

Conrad
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AndyG » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:50 pm

conrod wrote:
AndyG wrote:8)

Ahem, thats a V8! :D Original Police van, factory fitted Rover 3.5L V8 with 5 speed box. I am just rebuilding a 4.6 RangeRover V8 injection engine to go in there. 8)

Conrad
:lol: Typo :!: They never made a V6 :wink: :lol:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby pat stevens » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:24 pm

very cool van
if its got tits or wheels its always gonna end in trouble !!!
anyone can restore a van but it takes a real man to chop it up !!!
pat stevens
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby robbie.cee » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Even the trailer has good wheels on it!
2.9i 24v cosworth v6 LSD now fitted and quad pipes out back

Had
X-Reg Mk5 150ps 3.0 ESSEX V6
MAKE IT FIT

RIP Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
robbie.cee
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby nscvr6 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:52 pm

awsome project there conrad may i ask where in nz you are?
i absolutely love nz my fave place in the world and so many classics over there...

going to keep tabs on this build

nick
nscvr6
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby conrod » Wed May 15, 2013 10:05 am

HI Nick,

I am in Auckland. Haven't done anything to the van since getting it up here a few months back. Been building the workshop that it will live in for the next few years, nearly done though. Look forward to getting into it:) Have a load of NOS panels in UK that I will ship over soon.

Conrad

conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Customising and one offs