*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

large rims to fit 1998 ford transit van

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

large rims to fit 1998 ford transit van

Postby Borgs » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:18 pm

ok, so i bought a 1998 transit van (2.5L turbo diesel, swb) at the auctions real cheap, with the intention of trickin it out, only to find out that i can't get large chrome rims on it because the offset of the discs is in line with the body of the van (meaning that any larger rims or tyres than the stock standard ones on it will stick out about 2inches). The stud pattern is weird in itself but that can be overcome by custome drilling them if the inner of the rim chosen is big enough to fit the five studs. stud pattern is 5 X 165 with an offset of 70, compared with most ars which have an offset of 40 or so. The cheapest and only rims i can find are the R19's and are custom made by Simmons Wheels. Their price tag is $6000AUD. That's pretty much the only rim that will fit the van and is in no way within my budget. Can anyone help? Directions to Tyre and wheel place is Melbour ne, Australia needed desperately. The rims displayed on the blue bedford to the right of the red one with the aerosol on it, (with the guy holding the trophy) are perfect but i have the feeling they won't fit. help me. i hate stock standard wheels. sorry about the essay.
BORGS
Borgs

Postby Sundowner » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:47 pm

Get onto tempy tyres http://www.tempetyres.com.au/index.asp and have a talk with them as they stock blank rims and have a full machining service so they can drill them to suit your pcd and center bore
Yeah i know its big green and rusty so move your Porsche before i bash it with 460 cubes of fords finest cast iron
Sundowner
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby rover » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:51 pm

Your PCD is 5x160 mate not 165.

Being in the Melbourne area you might want to contact 'madmax' (forum name), his van is top notch and he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Rover.
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: large rims to fit 1998 ford transit van

Postby MrMPuk » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:03 pm

Borgs wrote:The rims displayed on the blue bedford to the right of the red one with the aerosol on it, (with the guy holding the trophy) are perfect but i have the feeling they won't fit. help me.

Where are you looking?
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MrMPuk » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:38 am

Apparently he is talking about this van.

MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby rover » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:02 am

"The red one with the aerosol on it" :shock: Thats not a way I have heard Ollie's van described before :lol:

I'm not sure the one next to it is a bedford, but anyhow the wheels look like Wolfrace slot mags to me.

Rover.
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Granadadriver » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:15 pm

The van next to it is a Dodge B150, 200 or 250 series! The wheels are either Wolfrace or Appliance wheels! Wolfrace slot mags aren't available new anymore and hard to find second hand with 5x160 PCD! Don't know if Appliance is still in business (they have no website!) or even if they're still available new! But Image does a similar design, which is available today:

http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/large_whee ... assic.html

I think they'll do custom pcd's! :D
Granadadriver
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby custom » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:21 pm

could always try boyd codington they make custom wheels in usa not sure how expensive they are but they look f*** awsome
custom

Postby Granadadriver » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:22 pm

custom wrote:could always try boyd codington they make custom wheels in usa not sure how expensive they are but they look f*****g awsome

...and f*****g expensive! :lol:
Granadadriver
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby custom » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:25 pm

yeah they probably are expensive but at the end of the day you get what you pay for and they are made from a single slab of alloy thats then machined into what ever design you want
custom

Postby Granadadriver » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:36 pm

custom wrote:yeah they probably are expensive but at the end of the day you get what you pay for and they are made from a single slab of alloy thats then machined into what ever design you want

OK, in the case of one-off designs or replicas of classic custom wheel designs which are no longer available (Western, Aunger, Cheviot, etc.) it might be worth the price, otherwise wheels with similar design which are already/still available (as those Image ones) will be cheaper! :D
Granadadriver
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MrMPuk » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:37 pm

Why go to America to get custom made rims, plenty of companies here will do that for you for the right money!
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

sorry but no go

Postby express post » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:39 am

there are no wheels in australia to suit transit even 5 stud.madmaxs wheel are one off drayway wheel and they WILL NOT BUILD anymore.
the only hope is wheel adpotors which are iilegill or the way i hope to go in a redrill on the hups and alxes to a smaller stud patten and get the van de rated and but 4x4 rims on as cars rims wont pass as they are not stong engough.
my self and madmax are memders of the v.c.v (van council of victoria)
express post
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: sorry but no go

Postby Sundowner » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:06 am

express post wrote:there are no wheels in australia to suit transit even 5 stud.madmaxs wheel are one off drayway wheel and they WILL NOT BUILD anymore.
the only hope is wheel adpotors which are iilegill or the way i hope to go in a redrill on the hups and alxes to a smaller stud patten and get the van de rated and but 4x4 rims on as cars rims wont pass as they are not stong engough.

I was talking to a lady that has a mk6 with 20" wheels about how she got them to fit her van

she said it was easy and done in under an hour, she went to Tempe Tyres
Yeah i know its big green and rusty so move your Porsche before i bash it with 460 cubes of fords finest cast iron
Sundowner
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: sorry but no go

Postby MrMPuk » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:02 pm

Sundowner wrote:
express post wrote:there are no wheels in australia to suit transit even 5 stud.madmaxs wheel are one off drayway wheel and they WILL NOT BUILD anymore.

I was talking to a lady that has a mk6 with 20" wheels about how she got them to fit her van

she said it was easy and done in under an hour, she went to Tempe Tyres

What did they do then?
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Customising and one offs