*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Wheel Change...

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Re: Wheel Change...

Postby Haxman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:08 pm

It should say the size on the tyre 14/?/185, mine are 14/?/195, the ? relating to the profile (Side wall height) Im not sure what mine is but I'll check tomorrow. I have heard that some van tyres dont state a profile size tho.
Transit Vantastic
Haxman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby FredTransit » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:11 pm

I am not used to seeing the third measurement. I have only ever been used to 185x14s
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby Luke » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:14 pm

yeah usually 195 R14C i think its about an 80% profile so same as 195/80R14 :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Haxman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:18 pm

FredTransit wrote:I am not used to seeing the third measurement. I have only ever been used to 185x14s

Virtually all car tyres will have a 3rd number, maybe not the same with vans then..

Luke wrote:yeah usually 195 R14C i think its about an 80% profile so same as 195/80R14 :D

What do you mean an 80% of profile? I dont understand?
Transit Vantastic
Haxman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Haxman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:25 pm

Transit Vantastic
Haxman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Haxman » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:35 am

To prove I havent "thrown the towel in" quite yet I did a bit more investigating yesterday and took the rear hub apart to take some measurements to see whether redrilling them is an option. This is what I found

Rear Hub Dimensions

I then plotted out the holes I'd need drilled to fit my 140pcd wheels

I think there would be approx 4mm between the outside of the hub and my new hole and approx 4mm between the existing stud hole and my new hole. Do you think this would be enough material with regards to stregth? I was thinking this hub would spin anticlockwise for forward direction and vice versa on the other side so theres more material behind the stud when pushing the hub round forward...

Transit Vantastic
Haxman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MrMPuk » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:00 pm

You could have the old holes welded up before redrilling and then drill them centrally.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:31 pm

wow i'm impressed 8) puts my 'ms paint' drawings to shame :oops: :lol:

if i was drilling them i'd probly go for 2mm towards the origanal hole and 6mm from the end and if you didnt go for welding the origanal holes up you could plug them with a machined dowel (that would also protrude into the halfshaft) to give it more strength :idea:
and remember the half shaft is on top of that which carries more of the rotational stresses :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Haxman » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:33 pm

Yeah I was wondering about that, Im slightly worried the new wheels will still touch the arches though so I want to be able to put it back to standard if it doesnt work, hence would like to keep existing holes! I could get new hubs I suppose..
Transit Vantastic
Haxman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:35 pm

got me thinking this :lol: theirs actually no drive on that part its purely there to hold the wheel on the halfshaft takes all the drive :!:

how about a solid disk ring on the back of the hub which the studs go through :idea:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Haxman » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:44 pm

Luke wrote:wow i'm impressed puts my 'ms paint' drawings to shame

Ha ha Thanks Luke, If anyone wants any tech drawings knocked up feel free to give me a shout, I used to do a bit of it for work...

Luke wrote:if i was drilling them i'd probly go for 2mm towards the origanal hole and 6mm from the end and if you didnt go for welding the origanal holes up you could plug them with a machined dowel (that would also protrude into the halfshaft) to give it more strength
and remember the half shaft is on top of that which carries more of the rotational stresses

I like the dowel idea, and good point about the half shaft, it should be quite strong enough when all put back together i think. Im just starting to worry about how much all this is gonna cost! Therse the hubs, the half shafts and drums to drill and thats just the rear! Anyone got a rough idea on what i should pay for this?? Someone mentioned to me if i take both half shafts out at the same time I might not get them "lined up" when refitting them, any trueth in this or will they both go back in fine?
Transit Vantastic
Haxman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Haxman » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:47 pm

Luke wrote:got me thinking this :lol: theirs actually no drive on that part its purely there to hold the wheel on the halfshaft takes all the drive :!:

how about a solid disk ring on the back of the hub which the studs go through :idea:

Yeah exactly theres no drive on the hub, Its just a bearing carrier and to hold the wheel on so i recon even with 4mm eachside of my new holes and with no dowel it would be fine?

A solid disk ring would certainly be the best solution but wouldnt that require a whole new hub to be machined!!
Transit Vantastic
Haxman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:48 pm

Haxman wrote: Someone mentioned to me if i take both half shafts out at the same time I might not get them "lined up" when refitting them, any trueth in this or will they both go back in fine?
not that im aware of :?
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Haxman wrote:A solid disk ring would certainly be the best solution but wouldnt that require a whole new hub to be machined!!
i think you could machine a flat face onto the existing hub and mate a ring to that - but like you say its gonna push the cost up :( and is it really necassary :?:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:55 pm

Luke wrote:
Haxman wrote:A solid disk ring would certainly be the best solution but wouldnt that require a whole new hub to be machined!!
i think you could machine a flat face onto the existing hub and mate a ring to that - but like you say its gonna push the cost up :( and is it really necassary :?:
and would it fowl the brake shoes :?: :(
Luke
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Customising and one offs