*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Side bar or side step advice needed

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Side bar or side step advice needed

Postby onyxx » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:00 pm

Hello everyone, I've tried to find info about side bars and steps here and all over the net with Google, but no success. I'm just about to customise my 67 plate Custom, what I own for a while, but I want to give it a bit different look, than the other 30 same mica black in an average car park :D . I'm gonna fit 2 Silver ford decals on the sides, stripes on the front and back, and silver mirror covers. I really like the look of the side bars and steps, but I don't know if I end up with any disadvantage for fitting them. For example: too loud on the motorway at high speed, easy to knock it down next to the curb while parking, what about jacking it up. If it worth having it, which one is better, the side step or the side bar? Thanks for any advice , Tony
onyxx
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Side bar or side step advice needed

Postby Dodge20 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:04 am

I fitted some side steps to my custom and there are no issues with noise or clearance to the curb. I did however have to manufacture an extra bracket for the front end of them, as they were very much like a springboard when you actually used them as a step. Of course this may be dependent upon the kit you get. As for jacking the van up there's no problem at the rear and if you put the jack under the front just behind the wheel rather than under the sill to the jacking point it gives you plenty of room to operate the jack.
Some people are like slinkies.... not good for much but bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

2009 280 85hp
2015 290 Custom DCIV twin side doors 155hp(tragically killed)
Dodge20
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Location: Go to the end of the world and turn left. (South Cumbria)

Return to Customising and one offs