Hi.
I expect many of you will be aware of this, but equally a good proportion may not.
the generally available mini halogen spotlight (12v) intended for use in household situations and if bought in a kit comes complete with transformer, is also fine to use on 12v DC.
Forget the kits....
The lamps are cheap enough to buy individually and have a multitude of uses for the customiser. 20 watts halogen is significantly better (brighter) than tungsten for the same current draw. I have 3 in the cargo area and 2 in the cab, one of which is positioned adjacent to the glove box as a hidden floor light for the passenger area. The uses are endless though if you are in to lighting, eg. my next project is to bang a couple into the bumper (Mk5) as daylight running lights.
Biggest problem is electrical connections to the pins on the lamp. THEY WILL NOT SOLDER. However I have found that the ends of a failed mini flo tube are the exact fit. I am speaking of the half inch diameter tubes.... Carefully prise the end cap away and because the pins are brass you can easily solder your flyleads to them before pushing on to the halogen lamp pins - perfect.
Hope you can make use







