Not wanting to bore everyone, but here are the facts as I see them.
At the time (1995/96) I was told that it was not possible to order a 'panel van' with an armrest incorporated in the driver's seat. The rather strange exception to this was a 'Minibus', which acording to Ford could.
So, unless the situation changed between 96 - 99 there will be very few Mk5 Transits around with factory fitted armrests (I stand to be corrected on this) - (And Guy just has). Moving along, a '96 Smiley I expect, like my '95 does not have the hardware incorporated within the seat back to accommodate the armrest, and so the seemingly simple addition of an armrest would now seem to involve the entire replacement of the driver's seat for that of a 97 +
complete with armrest - and all that entails with regard to matching fabric colours ...

In short, I wouldn't hold my breath on finding a suitable S/H replacement any time soon

Again these are the facts as I know them -
there are board members here who know more than Ford themselves
For what it's worth, I made my own. I used a bog standard builders bracket similar to the type shown (only wider). and bolted this to the bulkhead. The 'armrest' itself is just a piece of 3 x 3 wood topped with 'Armaflex' (Firmer than foam rubber), and encased in stitched PVC leatherette with piping (electric cable) glued on afterwards. It pivots on one bolt running through the centre, and mine uses heavy duty rubber 'springs' between the bracket and the armrest to provide a sort of resistance according to how much pressure you apply, in other words it is pretty much hydraulic and goes up/down with road movement.


Don't go to that trouble, just go to the scrappy and rip off a suitable armrest from any car and then adapt it as described above - room for two if you want one for passenger side
Have fun