*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rustoleum paint job?

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Re: Rustoleum paint job?

Postby andygee1138 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:02 pm

My 2p worth.
A few years back I did this to my Mk3 camper. Used combicolour white. Bought 2x 2.5. but only recall using one tin and a tiny bit fron the second. It was thinned to varying degrees and gave three good coats. Use the firmer gloss rollers. Brush paint all hard to reach parts first. I painted it in a day, the prior prep took a day (well, the masking etc, welding and filling took about 5 weeks :lol: :lol: :lol: ). For better results, give it a week or two between coats but it is my daily plus I had decals I wanted to get on and was going away in it soon after. Let it set for a week or two. It looked SOOOO much better already. I got a cheap MOP and a flat sander and had at it with 600W&D and plenty of water first IIRC, then 1200. It got better and better. I then used the MOP and some G3 but any cutting compound should be fine. Lots of water, kept it moving, middle speed. Then I thijnk I buffed it with T Cut or maybe plain polish, I forget. Anyway, it looked amazing. Like a new Van. I got a glass finish on the larger panels and pretty decent results everywhere else. Believe the hype. :lol:
I used halfrauds bumper paint and some satin black on the plastics and some £30 ebay swoosh vinyl decals and the van was transformed. I love it. The finish is durable and kept its lustre. Well worth the minimal cost and tome. No point spraying a van like this.
However...
That was a while ago now. The paint itself if still good but the panels below are starting to bubble and rust in places and she has had a few scrapes and war wounds lately so am going to go for a new look.
Combicolour comes in a silver and am going to give that a try.Has anyone rollered a metallic before???Got some repairs to do first but looking forward to giving her a facelift. Doing DRLs inside the front lamps that have switchback indicators and clear indicators too. Thinking about more linear two tone blue stripes. :)
andygee1138
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Rustoleum paint job?

Postby alastairlee123 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:52 am

I know about an agency located in New Zealand I think may be they have any opportunity.
alastairlee123

Previous

Return to Customising and one offs