*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rustoleum paint job?

Post all custom related threads here!

Moderator: Luke

Rustoleum paint job?

Postby chunky73 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:17 am

Hi :D
Im in the middle of doing a camper conversion at the moment but when the interior is done i shall be looking at painting the old girl
(X-Reg MK5 SWB) as she is white and looking very sorry for herself outside so i was thinking of roller and Rustoleum paint?, Has anyone any idea
whats involved as ive seen various threads and it looks a good cheap way to throw some life back into the bodywork but is it too good to be true? :?
chunky73
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Rustoleum paint job?

Postby Misfit » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi
I'm in need of some info on the rustoleum paint job too, I've just bought my first Transit and it needs re-painting.
I've seen a few vans that have been painted this way and tbh they look really good.
What i was wanting to know is if anyone has any advice for doing the paint job in Matte black? just wondering what the pro's and cons are for this type of finish or is satin a better option??? I'll be ordering the paint soo so any advice would really help....
Misfit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dodgy01 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:29 pm

use the search facility at the top of the screen
lots of people have done it
really it depends on your circumstances and the vans condition

personally i would not use it as i would cut out the rust and re paint it properly but as i say thats just me as i have the facilities to do this

ive never seen a van actually painted with this stuff in person so i cant comment on the finish

this is my van that i did

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=56371

and this if a good read on using rustoleum paint

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=67575

cheers
dodgy01
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby chunky73 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:18 pm

dodgy01 wrote:use the search facility at the top of the screen
lots of people have done it
really it depends on your circumstances and the vans condition

personally i would not use it as i would cut out the rust and re paint it properly but as i say thats just me as i have the facilities to do this

ive never seen a van actually painted with this stuff in person so i cant comment on the finish

this is my van that i did

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=56371

and this if a good read on using rustoleum paint

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=67575

cheers

Well thats some food for thought! If i had your facilities as you say i would try and do a proper job but its my daily driver and i need it
every day to get to work so iv'e got to do it bit by bit :( ,
Thanks for the info mate much appreciated :wink:
chunky73
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby chunky73 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:20 pm

cheers[/quote]
chunky73
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby chunky73 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Misfit wrote:Hi
I'm in need of some info on the rustoleum paint job too, I've just bought my first Transit and it needs re-painting.
I've seen a few vans that have been painted this way and tbh they look really good.
What i was wanting to know is if anyone has any advice for doing the paint job in Matte black? just wondering what the pro's and cons are for this type of finish or is satin a better option??? I'll be ordering the paint soo so any advice would really help....

The VW lads seem to swear by this stuff thats why i asked on here myself :D
chunky73
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jimmynewbs » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:14 pm

I've read loads on this before I got my van... you can get some really good results if you take your time with it...
I've got a big tin of black, been doing a lot of the interior with it to seal over some minor rust before I insulate it out...

looking at doing the outside in black too though I've heard the matte black shows up dirt so easily... and that the gloss looks better but shows up imperfections in the body... so i'm not sure what to do...

I'm definitely going to paint it, but don't know if I should change from black to another colour....
jimmynewbs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby TIMO » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:04 am

The finish is only going to be as good as the prep. An half arsed prep = a similar finish.
BBC = British Broadcasting Conspiracy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj82wxnO ... r_embedded
TIMO
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby AK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:02 pm

There is a great thread here on the vw 80-90 forum, but its very long
Andrew

59 plate merc splinter Luton, 56 plate 100 TDCI 350 Crew/Camper conversion
AK
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Misfit » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:41 pm

Started painting my van this weekend and have done the roof, front wings and bonnet so far. I took my time sanding back the old paint to a nice smooth finish and so far the new paint is looking really nice, I decided to go with matte black in the end :)
Misfit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Sam_I_am » Wed May 11, 2011 3:49 pm

from the research i've done on the same topic, get yourself an apollo spraymate or similar. everyone who rollers say they wih they got it sooner as it greatly increases the speed and gives a good finish.

At least with a matt finish your sanding times will be cut down and you wont have to colour sand. still, your going to want a good 6 coats or so from what i've read.

also long term use of the stuff is not great. apparently because it rubberizes and doesn't set like a 2 pack paint. this is great for rust but instead of having a chip you'' get a tear and pulling it off will take loads with it... again only based on research i've done as i'm planning this myself :)
Sam_I_am
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby redcube » Tue May 17, 2011 3:02 pm

Do you mind if i ask a question it just save posting another topic about Rustoleum. How many litters of paint will i need to paint my LWB high-roof mk5 I'm going from red to blue and what else do i need. Thank you.
My camper van conversion viewtopic.php?f=58&t=76200
If any thing falls of will you mind picking it up for me
redcube
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby alexgrfc » Sun May 22, 2011 6:48 pm

not sure how much but it thins with normal white spirits, and mixes 1 part paint 1 part white spirits so you get double :wink:
Transit t260 100
**********visit my blog @ http://www.transitpics.co.uk// **********
http://www.scottish-vanners.co.uk
alexgrfc
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Misfit » Fri May 27, 2011 2:16 pm

redcube wrote:Do you mind if i ask a question it just save posting another topic about Rustoleum. How many litters of paint will i need to paint my LWB high-roof mk5 I'm going from red to blue and what else do i need. Thank you.

For a decent amount of cover/coats get yourself 4 tins and thin it down by 20-30% if your using a roller.
Misfit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Misfit » Fri May 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Misfit wrote:
redcube wrote:Do you mind if i ask a question it just save posting another topic about Rustoleum. How many litters of paint will i need to paint my LWB high-roof mk5 I'm going from red to blue and what else do i need. Thank you.

For a decent amount of cover/coats get yourself 4 tins and thin it down by 20-30% if your using a roller.

i used these guys
http://www.tools-paint.com/search,i.htm ... combicolor
Misfit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Customising and one offs