*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Car Dealers

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Car Dealers

Postby steamdrivenandy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:09 pm

Daughter's fiance has swapped jobs and lost his company car and I got dragooned into taking him to find a replacement.
He wouldn't take my advice and seek out a reasonable condition example of our favourite vehicle but was fixated with getting an old VW Passat TDi. With the wedding an' all their a touch short of the readies.
He had me drive him over to a cheap as chips car lot in Bradford. They had half a dozen old Passats and he chose one that hadn't had a bag of coal on the back and in some cases the front seats and had the odd undented panel.
He drove it up and down a local motorway and it went and stopped OK, well OK for a car that's seen the best part of 200 kliks.
The lad's a retail buyer in real life and negotiated the guy down from a screen price of £2,350 to £2,000 plus a new tyre, that impressed his future father-in-law.
The dealer came out to my van to fetch him at one point and peered inside, asked me if I wanted to sell and offered me £25K cash straight off without knowing the spec. I reckon I could've twisted him up a few more thou. with all the bells and whistles.
That's quite satisfying to know that a non specialist will offer me that sort of money. Hopefully when I need to change dealers will still be as generous.
Horizons Unlimited Innovation 1 - Best Transit in Show
User avatar
steamdrivenandy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: North Staffs

Postby Luke » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:14 pm

it's always the same when you dont want to sell everyone wants it :D when you come to sell no one does :(

I had a mint (and i mean mint) Xr4i and everyone was asking me to sell to em :P - come to selling it no one wanted it........... took about 3 months to sell :shock: :lol:
User avatar
Luke
Site Admin
 
Posts: 44565
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire!!

Postby BigNeil » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:59 pm

often wonder that is why car dealers try and buy the vehicle that you do not want to sell, as they think a. they are being cheeky.
and b. they know you are not selling so offer a figure, the next time someone offers me a reasonable amount for my van I think I may accept, so I can invest in one with a heater, or aircon, a turbo would be nice, a vehicle where I do not have to be flat out all the time, one with power steering may be useful, one that does not whine, one with electric windows, one with more drivers leg room, one with........................................ hang on am dreaming again. :D :oops: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
BigNeil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 8422
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:44 pm
Location: Forfar, Angus, Scotland

Postby poppajoe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:01 pm

Go through life with the intention that everything (well almost) is for sale at a price and you will always profit - serious! - thats my moto, funny thing is, no one has bid on the misses yet though, ah life can be a bitch sometimes..... :?
User avatar
poppajoe
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:59 pm
Location: South Wales

Postby AndyG » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:20 am

BigNeil wrote: so I can invest in one with a heater, or aircon, a turbo would be nice, a vehicle where I do not have to be flat out all the time, one with power steering may be useful, one that does not whine, one with electric windows, one with more drivers leg room, one with........................................ hang on am dreaming again. :D :oops: :lol: :lol:


I made that dream come true :!: 8) 8) 8) 8) :wink: So why can't you :?: :o
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Postby wardy-uk » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:41 pm

Its very true when your wanting to sell you get no offers or only small ones then when you dont want to sell in come the offers. lol. The moment I saod my limo was not for sale I recived a offer from a man in scotland of £3000. But who knows if he would actually of paid :?
wardy-uk
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:31 am

Postby transitgeoff » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:40 pm

id have pushed that thing to Scotland to get £3k, in reality i think its worth £150 on the bridge :?
transitgeoff
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6574
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:32 pm


Return to Transit Talk



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.