*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Dead or Alive

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Dead or Alive

Postby pollag » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:51 pm

I have an old L reg SWB Transit. Had it for 4 years. No major trouble really. So I really like it. Body is rather bad now and back breaks but other than that its fine. MOT soon. I got it for £1000. Not worth much now anymore I think . How much should I spend on it to keep it going for another year or should I just cut my loss and Get another van. If I could spend up to £4000 what van should I get. I prefer to get for £2000 but is it really worth getting the newer shape for £3500 or £4000 ?

Please let me know what u guys think ?
Should I keep my baby going ?
New VAN:SWB 85T260-04 Reg - Forum Post ranking:108th -37.4mpg top-New Fuel Pump
Prev VAN :mk4 93' SWB 80, 2.5d Retired -Nov 08' - SOLD :(
Image <--- Click on the little phone
Image
User avatar
pollag
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 721
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: London

Re: Dead or Alive

Postby BILLY BOY » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:09 pm

look after ya baby. some times better the devil you know. :) just like the wife, shall i part exchange her for a newer/younger version . or will the newer one be as bad :lol: :lol:
cheers billy boy
03, 100ps 280
96, 190,lwb, td,
User avatar
BILLY BOY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:23 am
Location: east coast

Re: Dead or Alive

Postby Luke » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:24 pm

same dilema i'm in i quite fancy a newer mk6 but apart from being a bit slow and scabby :lol: theres nowt wrong with my mk4 :D

without a doubt the mk6 would be more expensive to run (for me - ive got a large stock of mk3/4/5 spares) the only advantage is they are nicer to drive - i'd even say the mk4 would be more reliable :? :D
User avatar
Luke
Site Admin
 
Posts: 44566
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire!!

Re: Dead or Alive

Postby pollag » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:49 pm

mk4 is very reliable thats for sure. Just a pitty about the cost to fix the body .
If the cost is more than 300 for back breaks and body then i might have to start thinking.
Its done 180k Miles
I hate RUST!
New VAN:SWB 85T260-04 Reg - Forum Post ranking:108th -37.4mpg top-New Fuel Pump
Prev VAN :mk4 93' SWB 80, 2.5d Retired -Nov 08' - SOLD :(
Image <--- Click on the little phone
Image
User avatar
pollag
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 721
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: London

Re: Dead or Alive

Postby MarkM » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:07 pm

Think on this in a little over 2 years you won't have any choice but to buy a MK6, run it as is, avoiding spending anything major on it and SAVE like mad. In case you are unsure about what I am talking about, it is the LEZ zone that comes into force in 2010 for your size of van, even if you were to add the specific particulate filters @ a rough cost of £2000, it will be better to scrap or sell your van up north as in the south you won't get much more than scrap value for it regardless of condition...this is all in 2010 mind you :wink:

Sideways threadjack:...
I was talking with a 7.5 tonne operator who seems to think that they have pushed the start date back from march next year to march 2009 :? I did look at the LEZ site but a lot of it was down, I was hoping for that rumour to be correct as if they push back one part they will push the others back giving Transit owners until 2011 to change vehicles.
User avatar
MarkM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Dead or Alive

Postby BILLY BOY » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:24 pm

you got the web site addy, for lez :?:
cheers billy boy
03, 100ps 280
96, 190,lwb, td,
User avatar
BILLY BOY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:23 am
Location: east coast

Re: Dead or Alive

Postby MarkM » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:22 pm

User avatar
MarkM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Dead or Alive

Postby BILLY BOY » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:21 pm

thanks
cheers billy boy
03, 100ps 280
96, 190,lwb, td,
User avatar
BILLY BOY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:23 am
Location: east coast

Re: Dead or Alive

Postby FredTransit » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:37 pm

Do you come to London a lot then Billy Boy? I have not heard anything about the date being pucshed back, but one thing is for sure, it's not going to do the construction of the Olympics any good!
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
User avatar
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist
 
Posts: 17470
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: London


Return to Transit Talk



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.