*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


130PS 2.5 TD

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Postby poppajoe » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:32 am

Andyg wrote:Well, how did they manage with the Perkins 4/108 engine @52 PS :? :?: :lol: (which I beleive was heavily used before the Di)


Good engine in its day but regarded as a uneccesary heavy old lump nowadays, don't get me wrong its still a good old reliable motor just like the mini a series but when it comes to hp ver weigh it is old school and outdated.

Even the tdi intercooled has now been updated with the 2.4 Puma engine at 145ps, but if you ask me for £8500 I will stick wih the good old tdi for a while seeing as its nearly the same weight, has no fancy electrics and is more tried and tested! and to add to that my engine currently stands me at £1650 all in at present, money I know but when it comes to marine engines pushing 150ps they don't come anywhere near as low cost! and yes the block is not new, could blow anytime but what is that ganna cost me when it does? 300 and a weekends work? :P
User avatar
poppajoe
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:59 pm
Location: South Wales

Postby poppajoe » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:41 am

Andyg wrote:Well, how did they manage with the Perkins 4/108 engine @52 PS :? :?: :lol: (which I beleive was heavily used before the Di)


I actually sold my engine which was in the boat before I decided to fit the tdi to a guy who took out a good perkins 4108 and replaced it with mine - a 1.8di escort running 60ps and weighing 100kgs less than the perkins, marine converted with only 60hrs on the clock, vurtually new, but only gave me 13knots I need speed! lots of it, the new engine should? give me between 25 - 34knots depending on 130/150ps and the prop I finally choose.?

We'll see hey?
User avatar
poppajoe
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:59 pm
Location: South Wales

Postby AndyG » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:42 am

What's this Puma 2.4 :?: Do we get it in a car :?: or is it strictly marine :?:

A good quality oil should keep things well lubed and cool running :idea: I always see these adverts on TV that claim you can run your engine without oil after using their product :?

How about trying one of them out (keeping the oil as well :lol: )
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Postby AndyG » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:48 am

The torque should be in the region of 300Nm :shock: which is very high indeed :!: :D But you'l need some sort of gearing to get the torque benefit I would imagine.
Otherwise it'll be like only having 1st gear on a van, loads of revs, but not much speed :( And torque is where it's at :!: :wink: on a diesel :D
And on the TDI it's 2100rpm in a turbo van :idea: :D
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Postby poppajoe » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:55 am

Andyg wrote:What's this Puma 2.4 :?: Do we get it in a car :?: or is it strictly marine :?:

A good quality oil should keep things well lubed and cool running :idea: I always see these adverts on TV that claim you can run your engine without oil after using their product :?

How about trying one of them out (keeping the oil as well :lol: )


The Puma is Lanecing marines version of the transit? I thought it came from a ford name but its defo the trannie engine (mark 6?).

Yes I always put slick 50/molyslip in my boats, (but lets not entice others to get into the "do they do any good theory") been there had that argument! it works for me and I stand by it.

Your right it is actually an important point, in a baot it is rocking all over the place and should really have a shallow flat sump cos sometimes the oil is sloshing about and can? miss the pick up, therefore these adatives can help for the split second there "may" be no oil.

I once had a 2 stroke honda 125 (in my racy days) and it was skimmed, ported bla, bla got 95 out of it, about 20hp, one day put slick 50 in (it goes straight in air filter on 2 stroke) afterwards it revved to 17k and pulled 2 peole to 100mph! raced the hell out of it for 2 years and it was as good the day I sold it on, still doing 115 one up!

So, it works sometimes and will do for me!
User avatar
poppajoe
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:59 pm
Location: South Wales

Postby AndyG » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:00 pm

I've still got the original Slick 50 from about 20 years ago :shock: But with all the, so called scare 'myths' going round, I never used it :( And in those days, it was a hell of alot of money (for me anyway :lol: )
Do you think it can 'go off' :?:
And do you recommend a filter change straight after :?: or just add and forget :?:
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Postby poppajoe » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:38 pm

Andyg wrote:I've still got the original Slick 50 from about 20 years ago :shock: But with all the, so called scare 'myths' going round, I never used it :( And in those days, it was a hell of alot of money (for me anyway :lol: )
Do you think it can 'go off' :?:
And do you recommend a filter change straight after :?: or just add and forget :?:


It is basically a PTFE addiditive in an amount of oil. PTFE is the most slippery substance known to man - technically less coefficient of friction than ice!

Whilst the oil may go off a little (but I doubt it) the PTFE additive certainly will not.
It was advised to be added to new oil, with a change of filter. I certainly would not change the filter after cos any of the polymer caught in the dirty filter would be lost if changed after. They do advise to run the engine for as long as possible after adding to "work it in" I would say this is best too, or at least 50mile or so if you can.

If the oil has gone off a little I would not worry as it is only about half a ltr if I remember and the oil is only a carrier for the ptfe polymer which is only about 10% concentrate if I remeber - If you write the label description for me I may be able to understand it as I am a polymer/plastic engineer by trade.

If you do put it in, what harm could it do? its only half ltr of ineffective oil afterall?

Originally they did do a test which involved running an engine whilst draining the oil and it did run for about 20mins at high revs if I remember? no other engine would do this??? this was the slick 50 however, I don't know about the others?

I personally use "molyslip" nowadays as its cheap on ebay and contains only molydium disulphide (bad spelling) and this is a well know and proven polymer additive for friction reduction, I sell plastic with it in conatining proven test data in labs. The only question is if the moly actually sticks to anything? but knowing the chemical make up makes me believe it will at prolonged engine temperatures.

Again though peeps - don't post conflicts etc as I am not interested in pro's and con's on the subject of additives - again, been there done that - now not interested, it works for me (if only in my mind).

Cheers,

Steve
User avatar
poppajoe
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:59 pm
Location: South Wales

Postby poppajoe » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:22 pm

Andyg wrote:The torque should be in the region of 300Nm :shock: which is very high indeed :!: :D But you'l need some sort of gearing to get the torque benefit I would imagine.
Otherwise it'll be like only having 1st gear on a van, loads of revs, but not much speed :( And torque is where it's at :!: :wink: on a diesel :D
And on the TDI it's 2100rpm in a turbo van :idea: :D


Good! torque is exactly what I need in a boat - and lots of it. My aim all along has been torque at revs.

It is geared 2:1 to the prop but that will mean nothing too you and can be altered just by swapping the gears in an hour or so, I can also change the pitch of the prop and the diam which will have a great effect, but this is done when on the water as it is very hit and miss until tested, even by the proffessionals.

I am not worried at all about "like being in first gear" as I dont have any! it is one gear, going forward 95% of its life, the most important feature is to have the power to push water out of the way with the prop, get it wrong and the prop just boggs the engine down and wont rev bla,bla change the prop pitch by one inch to gain or lose 200rpm either way.
The prop I have selected should be about the best guess at the mo going by the software pack used to guide me there.

We'll see when it hits the water soon.

By the way, whats the standard torque on say a 115ps anyway? this will give me a better idea of the speed I may get?

Cheers,

Steve
User avatar
poppajoe
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:59 pm
Location: South Wales

Postby AndyG » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:55 pm

The standard torque with all the emmissions controls in place (and an exhaust system :lol: ) is 256Nm @ 2100rpm :wink:
Not at all bad eh :!: :?:
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Postby poppajoe » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:36 pm

Andyg wrote:The standard torque with all the emmissions controls in place (and an exhaust system :lol: ) is 256Nm @ 2100rpm :wink:
Not at all bad eh :!: :?:


Good, thanks,

Yea, it is a good engine really and as long as it stays strong for me it should be good for a long time. From what I have heard about them and no bad stories really they appear to be one of the strongest blocks I've know - so thats good!:lol:

Calculating that I am gonna get about 20% more torque then I can resonably assume I am gonna get the effect of a 135-155ps power plant when running and I still have a few other mods I can do yet as well so I am getting more chuffed as time goes on - and more eager to see the baby go? should be good and I was gauging the transplant giving me around 130ps at best so this should be a good project in the end, we'll see.

She certainly runs and sounds fine on the garage floor in a cradle, but very LOUD! indeed but thats expected, the proof ofcourse will be on the water.

Thanks for all you help,

I will take a video when it is going on the water and ask the mods to try and post it somehow for you all to see if anyone would be interested?

Cheers,

Steve
User avatar
poppajoe
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:59 pm
Location: South Wales

Postby AndyG » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:41 pm

:D 'Course were interested :!:

But I do feel that you may be pushing the poor little thing a bit on the hard side :roll:

Try and keep the revs from going much over 3000rpm :D







Speed boat :!: or what :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Postby poppajoe » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:57 pm

Andyg wrote::D 'Course were interested :!:

But I do feel that you may be pushing the poor little thing a bit on the hard side :roll:

Try and keep the revs from going much over 3000rpm :D







Speed boat :!: or what :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :oops:

I will don't worry!

I had that discussion on here a few weeks back and thats why I was after the torque band revs etc, I reckon at between 2200 and 2800 ish I should get around 20knots, now 20knots from a diesel inboard 18ft boat at around 3.5-4 gals an hour, in good condition is an admired bit of kit in the fishing boat world, and should have a top speed of upto around 30+ knots which makes it also very desirable too, although I would only use that speed for around 5-10mins at a time.

If all works out I will have, at last after 20 years, built myself a desirable boat at last! and it should last me a good few years and still recover most of my cost in the end - and in the boating world thats more rare than a 150ps diesel inboard in an 18 footer!

Sweet....

I promise to keep you all posted....

Steve

ps: appologies for hijackin the original thread stevew?
User avatar
poppajoe
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:59 pm
Location: South Wales

Postby AndyG » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:15 am

poppajoe wrote:ps: appologies for hijackin the original thread stevew?


I'm sure this is exactly what he wanted to marvel at :wink: :D :lol:

Now I must post one of my ignorant questions :oops: just like I did with the madhorseywoman about horses :lol:

How fast is a knot :?: in relation to a mile :?:
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Postby poppajoe » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:55 am

Andyg wrote:
poppajoe wrote:ps: appologies for hijackin the original thread stevew?


I'm sure this is exactly what he wanted to marvel at :wink: :D :lol:

Now I must post one of my ignorant questions :oops: just like I did with the madhorseywoman about horses :lol:

How fast is a knot :?: in relation to a mile :?:


No prblem, not stupid question really.

example - 20 kts = 23 mph

Sad hey, all this work and expense to do 20mph! but in boat terms (well this type anyway) thats fast! however my last fishing boat did 38knots / 42mph trouble was it had a petrol outboard, famously unreliable, costly to service/keep and drank 16 galls an hour!!!! of neat unleaded!!! unlike this baby which will not be able to drink more then 5 gals an hour (theres only so much can get through, if you calculate it) of, and this is the best bit - legally red derv! although the tax deduction is being scrapped soon due to out friggin membership of wonderful Europe!!! TW*&S!!

Still 5 gals an hour instead of 16 is still good for 10mph less.

Steve
User avatar
poppajoe
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:59 pm
Location: South Wales

Postby AndyG » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:59 am

And what about braking :oops: Reverse drive the prop :idea: :oops: :?:
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Talk



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.