*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Painting. Do i sand base coat before clear lacquer coat?

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Painting. Do i sand base coat before clear lacquer coat?

Postby tmm » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:36 am

Looking for some advice regarding spray painting.
I have been doing a little spraying on the van and my base coat feels a little rough to the touch, will it be ok to wet and dry it with some 1200 grit to remove the roughness or would it be best not to wet and dry it before the clear coat goes on top?
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Painting. Do i sand base coat before clear lacquer coat?

Postby Crankshaft » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:43 am

Sounds like it's not gone on wet enough to 'lay out', best not to wet and dry before applying clear coat. Either leave it and clear as-is or flat it off and re-spray the base coat then clear it.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Crankshaft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Painting. Do i sand base coat before clear lacquer coat?

Postby chris72a » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:08 am

tmm wrote:Looking for some advice regarding spray painting.
I have been doing a little spraying on the van and my base coat feels a little rough to the touch, will it be ok to wet and dry it with some 1200 grit to remove the roughness or would it be best not to wet and dry it before the clear coat goes on top?

you can dry sand it if you have to down to about 800, (you won't see sanding scratches after clear) but I usually go 1500 lightly sanded, it does feel very slightly rough this is normal, especially if it is a metallic which i'm assuming it is. I only sand if I get dust nibs or bugs in the base otherwise I just let the base flash off a light coat of clear and then 2-3 heavier coats. Doing a light coat at first helps so the subsequent coats don't run. Remember is you sand through the base you'll be re-basing also with metallics your last pass should be diagonal up high to get all the flakes to sit right and a nice even finish.

Hope that helps.
Chris.
chris72a
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Talk