Transitmania 10 @Santa Pod 18th to 20th May 2018


Mk 8?

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Mk 8?

Postby griffo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:25 am

What's the verdict on the Mk 8 so far?

I know every new generation has it's faults and my Mk7is the best van I have ever owned, but wondering if the newest van is an improvement or still has some wrinkles to Iron out?

I was reading about adblue issues yesterday, but thunk they are only on the minibusses, but not 100% on that, is the latest enviromental stuff going 1 step too far for current technology perhaps?

What are the common issues with the LWB Hitop please?
griffo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 9:49 am
Location: South Wales

Re: Mk 8?

Postby dumper » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:44 am

I’ve just turn a bus into a campervan just done my first 1000 mls on fishing trip in Ireland and up and down the country to the car rally’s over hear as outher mk8 users on hear have found they are to high geared the seats are a bit hard not as good as mk7 when the bus arrived from the auction it had 6000 mls on it the dash readout said it had 70% cold running and mpg was 19 my conversion has a side aurning and tv rooftop Ariel i have been using the night heater a fair bit the mpg has gone up to 27 mpg so not to bad but my old mk6 135 jumbo had no side aurning but carrying the same weight 30 mpg and so much more power when it’s out of warranty I think it needs to see van tunner as mine started off as a bus it is limited to 62 overthinking on motorways is slow unlike the mk6 put your foot down at 70 and it would fly upto 80+ very handle when you get a plank in a car who thinks the middle lane is his and try’s to pass you at 71 mph overall at the moment I am happy with the mk8 so far
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
dumper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Mk 8?

Postby griffo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:54 pm

dumper wrote:I’ve just turn a bus into a campervan just done my first 1000 mls on fishing trip in Ireland and up and down the country to the car rally’s over hear as outher mk8 users on hear have found they are to high geared the seats are a bit hard not as good as mk7 when the bus arrived from the auction it had 6000 mls on it the dash readout said it had 70% cold running and mpg was 19 my conversion has a side aurning and tv rooftop Ariel i have been using the night heater a fair bit the mpg has gone up to 27 mpg so not to bad but my old mk6 135 jumbo had no side aurning but carrying the same weight 30 mpg and so much more power when it’s out of warranty I think it needs to see van tunner as mine started off as a bus it is limited to 62 overthinking on motorways is slow unlike the mk6 put your foot down at 70 and it would fly upto 80+ very handle when you get a plank in a car who thinks the middle lane is his and try’s to pass you at 71 mph overall at the moment I am happy with the mk8 so far



Interesting, I was looking on an auction site at a couple of vans, that what prompted my enquiery, but I see they are jumping up in price, both light damage and lowish miles.

I was trying to work out this adblue additive as well, is tht on yours if it was a bus?

Do you wish you kept the Mk7?
griffo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 9:49 am
Location: South Wales

Re: Mk 8?

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:05 pm

griffo wrote:What's the verdict on the Mk 8 so far?

I know every new generation has it's faults and my Mk7is the best van I have ever owned, but wondering if the newest van is an improvement or still has some wrinkles to Iron out?

I was reading about adblue issues yesterday, but thunk they are only on the minibusses, but not 100% on that, is the latest enviromental stuff going 1 step too far for current technology perhaps?

What are the common issues with the LWB Hitop please?
i posted on another thread about this very subject , ive had 2 mk7 jumbos and have now got a mk8 jumbo , I love the van I really do however I don't think its as fast or as smooth or as refined as the mk7 , its hard to explain but it feels a bit fragile ,i have the trend model and some of the features are great like the folding mirrors and the overhead storage and under seat storage is great the plastic floor is good however i think the dash layout is not as good as the mk7, there are totally pointless message things like the eco driver messages on the dash display ,who cares ?? , 6th gear is useless unless doing over 70 , and the one thing to me which is inexcusable is the 240 degree opening rear door and not 270 , what were they thinking ??? , fuel economy is about the same as mk7 (33-40mpg), reliability ? well i had a new turbo fitted at around 30,000 miles and the dpf has blocked twice although since i stopped using 6th unless im over 70mph it has been fine and my offside front tyre keeps wearing uneven even after i took the van to ford to check the tracking , ive now done 50,000 in it and as much as i love it i think it was more of a side step from ford rather than a forward one
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:23 pm

Re: Mk 8?

Postby griffo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:29 pm

RECKLESS ROAD wrote:
griffo wrote:What's the verdict on the Mk 8 so far?

I know every new generation has it's faults and my Mk7is the best van I have ever owned, but wondering if the newest van is an improvement or still has some wrinkles to Iron out?

I was reading about adblue issues yesterday, but thunk they are only on the minibusses, but not 100% on that, is the latest enviromental stuff going 1 step too far for current technology perhaps?

What are the common issues with the LWB Hitop please?
i posted on another thread about this very subject , ive had 2 mk7 jumbos and have now got a mk8 jumbo , I love the van I really do however I don't think its as fast or as smooth or as refined as the mk7 , its hard to explain but it feels a bit fragile ,i have the trend model and some of the features are great like the folding mirrors and the overhead storage and under seat storage is great the plastic floor is good however i think the dash layout is not as good as the mk7, there are totally pointless message things like the eco driver messages on the dash display ,who cares ?? , 6th gear is useless unless doing over 70 , and the one thing to me which is inexcusable is the 240 degree opening rear door and not 270 , what were they thinking ??? , fuel economy is about the same as mk7 (33-40mpg), reliability ? well i had a new turbo fitted at around 30,000 miles and the dpf has blocked twice although since i stopped using 6th unless im over 70mph it has been fine and my offside front tyre keeps wearing uneven even after i took the van to ford to check the tracking , ive now done 50,000 in it and as much as i love it i think it was more of a side step from ford rather than a forward one



Wow, that sounds pretty dissapointing :(

The one thing I have always liked about Transits is the ruggedness of them, they are proper work vans.

The best rear doors I have had were on a Sprinter, they fold right round and latch back to the side of the van.

Have you had a 4 wheel track done, I expect so if it was main dealer.
griffo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 9:49 am
Location: South Wales

Re: Mk 8?

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:52 pm

griffo wrote:
RECKLESS ROAD wrote:
griffo wrote:What's the verdict on the Mk 8 so far?

I know every new generation has it's faults and my Mk7is the best van I have ever owned, but wondering if the newest van is an improvement or still has some wrinkles to Iron out?

I was reading about adblue issues yesterday, but thunk they are only on the minibusses, but not 100% on that, is the latest enviromental stuff going 1 step too far for current technology perhaps?

What are the common issues with the LWB Hitop please?
i posted on another thread about this very subject , ive had 2 mk7 jumbos and have now got a mk8 jumbo , I love the van I really do however I don't think its as fast or as smooth or as refined as the mk7 , its hard to explain but it feels a bit fragile ,i have the trend model and some of the features are great like the folding mirrors and the overhead storage and under seat storage is great the plastic floor is good however i think the dash layout is not as good as the mk7, there are totally pointless message things like the eco driver messages on the dash display ,who cares ?? , 6th gear is useless unless doing over 70 , and the one thing to me which is inexcusable is the 240 degree opening rear door and not 270 , what were they thinking ??? , fuel economy is about the same as mk7 (33-40mpg), reliability ? well i had a new turbo fitted at around 30,000 miles and the dpf has blocked twice although since i stopped using 6th unless im over 70mph it has been fine and my offside front tyre keeps wearing uneven even after i took the van to ford to check the tracking , ive now done 50,000 in it and as much as i love it i think it was more of a side step from ford rather than a forward one



Wow, that sounds pretty dissapointing :(

The one thing I have always liked about Transits is the ruggedness of them, they are proper work vans.

The best rear doors I have had were on a Sprinter, they fold right round and latch back to the side of the van.

Have you had a 4 wheel track done, I expect so if it was main dealer.
i wouldnt say im disappointed in the mk8 ,like i said there are some great features but there is just some things like the back doors which to me are the basics in a van , the mk7 doors went all the way why not the mk8, with them folded on a mk7 you could back down narrow alleys you cant do that on a mk8 ,its stupid ,as much as its like a big ford focus in the cab they have done away with some good bits that were in the mk7 ,acceleration seem to be held back , it does shift on a motorway but maybe they could of made 2nd to 6th gear a tooth bigger as i said you can do 70 in 5th and its only at 2500 revs so when you put in 6th the revs drop to 2000 and that's when my dpf was getting blocked , ford did my tracking but said it was spot on but it still destroyed a tyre on the one side when there was 4mm of tread left in the middle , the security like the door locks is well documented and i had mine replaced with a hykee lock and had a ghost alarm fitted but quite frankly the locks were no better than what was fitted in the 80s , mine was the last of the 2.2 engine so no adblue , i do love it and i suppose it is robust as im on the motorway most of the time i just take it for granted i just feel it could of been better
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:23 pm

Re: Mk 8?

Postby dumper » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:37 pm

Yes griffo mine has add blue when I got it the warning came on at 600 mls left I put in 10 lts to put light off today the light and warning came on telling me I had 765 mls of add blue left so I have put in 20 lts today if I remember I will reset the trip and see how far it goes before needs filling again and report how far I get on it I knew the bus had to run on add blue when I got it and that vans of the same age did not but this may not be such a problem now diesels are been hammered for emissions been a campervan now it’s going to have to last a long time like reckless road I love it having all the toys on it the only thing extra I like on it would be dab radio
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
dumper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Mk 8?

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:51 pm

dumper wrote:Yes griffo mine has add blue when I got it the warning came on at 600 mls left I put in 10 lts to put light off today the light and warning came on telling me I had 765 mls of add blue left so I have put in 20 lts today if I remember I will reset the trip and see how far it goes before needs filling again and report how far I get on it I knew the bus had to run on add blue when I got it and that vans of the same age did not but this may not be such a problem now diesels are been hammered for emissions been a campervan now it’s going to have to last a long time like reckless road I love it having all the toys on it the only thing extra I like on it would be dab radio
i brought one of those £60 cigarete lighter plug in dab for mine , they work ok but its best to get a good dab/fm ariel to to replace the window stick on ones you get with it
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:23 pm

Re: Mk 8?

Postby dumper » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:55 pm

Cheers I’ll look into that :D
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
dumper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Mk 8?

Postby griffo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:16 pm

dumper wrote:Yes griffo mine has add blue when I got it the warning came on at 600 mls left I put in 10 lts to put light off today the light and warning came on telling me I had 765 mls of add blue left so I have put in 20 lts today if I remember I will reset the trip and see how far it goes before needs filling again and report how far I get on it I knew the bus had to run on add blue when I got it and that vans of the same age did not but this may not be such a problem now diesels are been hammered for emissions been a campervan now it’s going to have to last a long time like reckless road I love it having all the toys on it the only thing extra I like on it would be dab radio



What happens if you run them out of adblue?

It only reduces emissions doesn't it, or is it a lubricant too?
griffo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 9:49 am
Location: South Wales

Re: Mk 8?

Postby dumper » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:29 pm

When you stop the engine with empty add blue tank engine will not start till re filled it’s just for emissions I’ve seen in the news that Hgv operators have been done and given big fines for turning off the add blue system
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
dumper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Mk 8?

Postby V184 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:16 pm

i thought all jumbos had the wrap round rear doors ? is yours an import ?
User avatar
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2875
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: You're right, V184 is an arsehole with a chip on his shoulder........

Re: Mk 8?

Postby dumper » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:10 pm

If his is same as my bus they have big magnets on the door and body of van and will not go flat to side of van
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
dumper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Mk 8?

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:44 pm

V184 wrote:i thought all jumbos had the wrap round rear doors ? is yours an import ?
they have got wrap around doors but only go 240 degrees not 270 http://image.trucktrend.com/f/41471201+ ... -space.jpg this is not my van but picture shows how all wrap around doors are on the mk8
Last edited by RECKLESS ROAD on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:23 pm

Re: Mk 8?

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:44 pm

dumper wrote:If his is same as my bus they have big magnets on the door and body of van and will not go flat to side of van
yes its the same
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:23 pm

Next

Return to Transit Talk



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users