*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

man with a van/ haulage/courier on here?

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

man with a van/ haulage/courier on here?

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:47 pm

hi all, are there any man with a van/ haulage/couriers on here? I have been one for 17 years and business is going great, however this week while speaking to my insurance about a specific job they told me im not insured to do house moves and never have been, my insurance policy says "carriage of goods for hire and reward" my main work is delivering furniture all over the country for 2 different companys and a couple of little bits and pieces from a few other company's but every now and again I get a small house moves which is usually a sofa wardrobe,bed etc, speaking to the insurance today they said I can carry a matress or a sofa or a table or whatever but not from a house/house move, I said what difference does this make where the item is from as until its in my van it is nothing to do with any insurance but they are adamant I cant do house moves on this policy,when I took this policy out they asked what was the main thing I carry and I told them furniture which is listed on the forms, they didn't ask where it came from, they say I need to change my policy to removals or add removals to my current policy which takes the price from £1300 to over £2000 a year,they also say that my goods in transit doesn't cover house moves either :shock: , I have spoken with other insurance companys today and most agree its ridiculous but insurance companys have different meaning of their wording, ive googled the meaning of carriage of goods for hire and reward and to me that's exactly what it is ,your carrying peoples goods for money, has any one else on here got similar insurance and had any issues with it ? I thinking of contacting the ombudsman because I feel like im being sold down the river with this, ive been with this company for 10 years and at £1300 per year +GIT ive paid them a lot of money only to find out I wasn't covered properly
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: man with a van/ haulage/courier on here?

Postby andz327 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 pm

RECKLESS ROAD wrote:hi all, are there any man with a van/ haulage/couriers on here? I have been one for 17 years and business is going great, however this week while speaking to my insurance about a specific job they told me im not insured to do house moves and never have been, my insurance policy says "carriage of goods for hire and reward" my main work is delivering furniture all over the country for 2 different companys and a couple of little bits and pieces from a few other company's but every now and again I get a small house moves which is usually a sofa wardrobe,bed etc, speaking to the insurance today they said I can carry a matress or a sofa or a table or whatever but not from a house/house move, I said what difference does this make where the item is from as until its in my van it is nothing to do with any insurance but they are adamant I cant do house moves on this policy,when I took this policy out they asked what was the main thing I carry and I told them furniture which is listed on the forms, they didn't ask where it came from, they say I need to change my policy to removals or add removals to my current policy which takes the price from £1300 to over £2000 a year,they also say that my goods in transit doesn't cover house moves either :shock: , I have spoken with other insurance companys today and most agree its ridiculous but insurance companys have different meaning of their wording, ive googled the meaning of carriage of goods for hire and reward and to me that's exactly what it is ,your carrying peoples goods for money, has any one else on here got similar insurance and had any issues with it ? I thinking of contacting the ombudsman because I feel like im being sold down the river with this, ive been with this company for 10 years and at £1300 per year +GIT ive paid them a lot of money only to find out I wasn't covered properly
I've been a sameday courier for 14yrs mate and insurance have got you by the bollocks regardless of whatever you say, it's their way or nothing , collecting from home to persons next home there's double the chance of breakages with amounts being moved i guess. But who the fook knows.....
I've got insurance probs myself at the moment....with this from last nightImage

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Transit Talk