*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Huge water leak and moldy insulation in 2018 Transit

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Huge water leak and moldy insulation in 2018 Transit

Postby aapn77 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:20 am

Hello people.

I discovered a massive water intrusion in both rear corners of my van. See pictures below.

I drove a few hours in the rain and then noticed visible dirty black water inside the vehicle rear corners. I reached into the holes in the frame walls near the water. I discovered a white piece of insulation inside the holes on both sides completely soaked in black water and mold. Both pieces were covered in road debris and rain. I looked in the holes and saw several inches of black water pooling in the lowest point of the frame.

I removed the exterior trim corresponding to the location of the puddled water. Behind the trim is a black plastic vent designed to allow ventilation to leave the rear of the vehicle. I popped the vent off and got to the puddle of water. Both sides of the car had several inches of black water, grime and mold. I dried up the water and tried to figure out where the leak was. I looked from all angles inside and out but there are no holes or visible areas the water got in. I’ve heard that the plastic pins that hold on the exterior trim can leak so I sealed them with silicone. Only 6,000 miles total and about 200 of those in the rain. I drove in the rain for an hour before discovering the leak.

Any advice on what to do? I have to drive 1,200 miles soon for seasonal work in a rainy area. I really appreciate the help.

Any ideas where the leak could be coming from?

The soaked insulation I removed stunk like death. Does anyone know what material it is made of? (12x12x1 inch white fluff from Ford factory)

Thank you!
aapn77

Re: Huge water leak and moldy insulation in 2018 Transit

Postby Punto443 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:50 am

Take it back to ford
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Re: Huge water leak and moldy insulation in 2018 Transit

Postby lovelash » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:36 am

The rear light clusters often leak water in around the seals best way to find is to use a presher washer five minutes at a time in one area starting at the bottom of the van and work your way up
lovelash

Return to Technical Problems & Questions