*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Favourite mk transit and why.

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Re: Favourite mk transit and why.

Postby Scooby doo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:56 am

I’m with punto on this one, tho was brought up with mk2s, they were everywhere, my old man had an early one when I was born till about three, remember riding in the foot well of that, then we had another mk2 long wheel base with twin wheels, 2.0 pinto and 5 speed, I started drawing vans and doing artworks on em as kid at skool, always wanted one, and now 30 years later, I own a mk6, in green, with a loud asss stereo and has become a day van slash apartment..
If I had deep pockets, mk2 twin lwb in black, chrome wheels, and Cossie powered with side exit exhaust..
Scooby doo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Stumble » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:26 pm

I agree with the Mk2, definitely the best looking and handling, at least in its day, the let down was only four speed
Years ago, used to have a Mk2 SWB with the 1.6 pinto as a works van
The best was the Transit Mk2 Custom SWB (when Custom meant something). IIRC it had the 2.0 pinto, nicer steel wheels and a slightly posher interior
I did have a 1980 Mk2 SWB with the 2.4 York for a while and I did like that, cruised nicely at around 55, top speed about 70 odd iirc
It did have its faults like, needed two decent batteries to start and of course rust
Stumble
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby walt1984 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:11 pm

Got to be a smiley for me.
When I was 14 My dad said he was off to pick up a 2nd hand van that was been painting in our colours to replace his j reg mk3 and came home in a brand new S reg.
We had never had a car with power windows mirror locks etc never mind a van.
When we went to the steam rally's if we arrived early as Field was been set up I was sent off to fill water carriers for the caravan with strict instructions to go slow but still felt top dog creeping accross the field.
When I was serving my apprenticeship with dad i would regularly have to drive him home from the pub or to work if he had been on the whiskey the night before but never used to complain coz I got to drive the van.
Even when he bought me a brand new connect I still preferred the transit.
There are still a few smileys knocking round by us,ice cream vans,a builder and a camper van and my ears prick up when I hear them.

Just to point out he isnt a alcoholic my sister had cancer and he used to drink probably too much Jameson's whiskey.

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby man le-mans » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:42 pm

walt1984 wrote:Got to be a smiley for me.
When I was 14 My dad said he was off to pick up a 2nd hand van that was been painting in our colours to replace his j reg mk3 and came home in a brand new S reg.

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk

I remember the advert for british leyland from 1977. i can't remember all of the words but it was something like this.it's the s plate special coming down the line the s plate special right on time. with leyland cars well you can do it now with the new s plate there were backing singers singing s plate special throughout the ad.
MK8 L2H2 T350 TREND 68 plate silver 130bhp
Mk7 MWB M/R T350 TREND 2010 SILVER 115BHP
MK7 MWB M/R T350 2009 BLUE 115BHP (crap)
MK6 MWB M/R T280 full electric pack silver 2003 85BHP
Smiley face T reg L/R SWB ex BT
man le-mans
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby yzr750 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:57 am

Mk11 twin rear wheel, 3l v6 conversion with electronic overdrive, spent years in that thing traveling the UK to various race tracks, happy days.
yzr750
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Transit Talk