*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Options for 1989 Transit camper with failed MOT

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Options for 1989 Transit camper with failed MOT

Postby robg » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi,

[Cross-posted from the "Camper vans and conversions" forum]

Our 1989 Transit camper van has just failed its MOT due to excessive corrosion in four areas and "rear brakes imbalanced across an axle". I'm awaiting a call back from the welder on Monday with an estimate of what it might cost to get it through its MOT. In the meantime, I'm trying to work out what our options might be if we deem the repair uneconomical. (We'd hoped to get at least another year or two out of it before any more major work was needed; at this point my wife is not keen to spend much more on it and is leaning towards switching to a caravan instead.)

The van is an Autosleeper Flair two-berth camper based on a 1989 mk3 Transit 120 (smiley) with a 2.5l non-turbo diesel engine. Mileage 97k. The engine runs beautifully and the interior habitation space is very nicely decorated. It's really "just" the rust that's the issue. I'm thinking it could be an ideal project for someone with a love for old Transits and/or campers and who can do their own welding.

So, to my question: if we decide we need to let go of it, what are my best options in terms of trying to find a buyer? Obviously there are scrap dealers who might give me a couple of hundred quid for it, but I'd hope it still has some life in it, in the right hands. Is there a market for this type of project? Where/how should I advertise/list it? What are the chances of selling it before the MOT expires on 28 August (after which it won't be road-legal and will need a pickup to collect)?

As you can probably tell, I've never been in this situation before and have no real idea what my options are or how best to proceed. Any informed advice will be much appreciated!

Rob
robg
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Options for 1989 Transit camper with failed MOT

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:42 am

If its failed its MOT, its not *really* road legal anymore until its fixed anyway

Yes there is a market for them - and yes you should get more than scrap value
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby robg » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:50 am

Hi Matt :)

MinorMatt wrote:If its failed its MOT, its not *really* road legal anymore until its fixed anyway

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "road-legal". However, my understanding is that, since none of the identified defects are listed as dangerous, I can legally still drive the vehicle (e.g. to get it home or to a garage for repair) until its current MOT certificate expires.

Yes there is a market for them - and yes you should get more than scrap value

Any thoughts/suggestions on the best places to try for a quick sale, if indeed that's what we decide we need to do?
robg
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:57 am

1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Transit Talk