*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Second time lucky?

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Second time lucky?

Postby Erubus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:34 pm

Got the mk7 going back in for a retest tomorrow. Two of the fails took a grand total of about 45 seconds to fix, most of which was taking the wheel off. It failed on rear n/s brake binding excessively and handbrake doesn't meet efficiency (or however it's worded).

When I took the wheel off, I saw that the handbrake lever on the caliper was right up to the cable stay. I gave it a scoosh with penetrating oil and it spring back straight away. I suspect when I changed the disc and pads on that side I must have pulled the handbrake before pressing the pedal. Once the lever was back in it's proper position, the wheel turned nice and easy and the handbrake lever felt much better.

The brake pipe that it failed on (it passed on it's previous MOT just before I got it, so I didn't bother to check it) fell apart when I touched it so just as well it failed.... Also a good lesson not to assume something is fine just because a tester passed it on an MOT!

It was the front driver's side. Absolutely impossible to fit without removing the engine and subframe, so I made up the repair section up to just under the servo and cut the existing one and joined them with a union. If I don't say so myself, it is a beautiful bit of pipework!

It's booked in for it's retest tomorrow lunchtime. The garage are still too busy to do the tracking but I'm "working from home" tomorrow so will take it to the local tyre fitter to get done after the MOT.
Erubus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Second time lucky?

Postby Airthies » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:11 pm

Good work sorting the fails out so quick.
It is possible to replace break lines round the bulkhead without removing the engine but it's not an "easy job" by any stretch of the imagination.
Good luck with the retest.

Sent from my A55ho11 using Crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Erubus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:56 am

If you bend the pipe as you go it could be done but it wouldn't look very nice. If you bought a pre-made pipe though I can't see how it's possible without dropping the engine and subframe.

Zero hour in an hour and a half then can hopefully get the tracking done to make it actually driveable haha
Erubus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Erubus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:54 pm

Yay, passed. Booked in for an alignment at half three then the fun can start!
Erubus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Airthies » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:50 am

I've replaced all brake pipes on one of our vans (RWD) including the two large main steel pipes from reservoir to ABS pump which come from ford preshaped. It's not by any means easy but possible by removing some of the clutter to the RHS as you look in the engine bay
Also, interestingly, you can do a full LWB with two coils of brake pipe if you cut it in the right way, and quite pleased that I managed the whole lot without joints

2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dirtydog » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:59 pm

Airthies wrote:I've replaced all brake pipes on one of our vans (RWD) including the two large main steel pipes from reservoir to ABS pump which come from ford preshaped. It's not by any means easy but possible by removing some of the clutter to the RHS as you look in the engine bay
Also, interestingly, you can do a full LWB with two coils of brake pipe if you cut it in the right way, and quite pleased that I managed the whole lot without joints

I had one of the servo to abs pump pipes burst a couple of years ago, looked at it and decided that it was a job for my mechanic. Took him a couple of hours to swap both pipes
2006 Mk7 115 350 lwb, med high top
2006 Mk7 110 350 lwb, high top camper
dirtydog
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Transit Talk