*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Recent MOT changes don't make sense

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Re: Recent MOT changes don't make sense

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:19 pm

KevofCov wrote:Hi Mike

Insurance is an agreement between you and the underwriters. You agree to maintain many things including a current MOT cert - they agree to cover you against claims by others. Having a valid MOT cert (a roadworthy vehicle) is a cornerstone of this arrangement....

Check you insurance schedule, many don't even mention the mot. What it will mention (and what confuses people) is that the vehicle must be roadworthy, the presence of an mot doesn't mean that a vehicle is roadworthy. If your mot has expired and you have an accident, your insurance will cover the 3rd party risk (not as Chris said), they have no option.

As Stumble explained to you already, unless you had a major point of failure, you can still drive the vehicle until the mot expires.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby KevofCov » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:27 pm

Hmmm, technically I concede you may have a point and are correct but life will be much much easier if you have a current MOT.
Drive with no MOT and run into a Bus queue – let me know how helpful your insurers are in the real world….
They will argue you will argue. Their pockets are much deeper...
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Stumble » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:30 pm

KevofCov wrote:
Mike wrote:
Chris21r wrote:No Mot means not roadworthy and shouldn't be on the road. Unless on way to or from the test
They won't pay for an accident but would for theft.

Not true.

Hi Mike

Insurance is an agreement between you and the underwriters. You agree to maintain many things including a current MOT cert - they agree to cover you against claims by others. Having a valid MOT cert (a roadworthy vehicle) is a cornerstone of this arrangement....

But, it is legal to travel to and from your MOT, pass or not, so your insurance should give you cover. They may want to say otherwise.
Stumble
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Stumble » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:31 pm

Mike wrote:
KevofCov wrote:Hi Mike

Check you insurance schedule, many don't even mention the mot. What it will mention (and what confuses people) is that the vehicle must be roadworthy, the presence of an mot doesn't mean that a vehicle is roadworthy. If your mot has expired and you have an accident, your insurance will cover the 3rd party risk (not as Chris said), they have no option.

As Stumble explained to you already, unless you had a major point of failure, you can still drive the vehicle until the mot expires.

Spot on :D
Stumble
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dumper » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:46 am

Also applies to road tax for mot ok to go to and from test station
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:03 pm

Keef wrote:There's no mention of it on the government site but while I was there I found this which I didn't know had come into force either

"This means failures for tyres over 10 years old on the front axle of any vehicles with 9 or more passenger seats, and any single wheels of a minibus (9-16 passenger seats). These vehicles will also fail if they do not display a legible date code on in scope tyres."

I'm offended :lol: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=204015
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Scooby doo » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:23 am

Don’t forget to mention that if you’re needing an mot ie yours ran out, then you have to use the nearest one to your postcode, not like back in the day when I use to collect cars from other side of country with a days insurance and booked in for mot closest to my house so I could drive it back..
Scooby doo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dumper » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:39 am

Scooby doo wrote:Don’t forget to mention that if you’re needing an mot ie yours ran out, then you have to use the nearest one to your postcode, not like back in the day when I use to collect cars from other side of country with a days insurance and booked in for mot closest to my house so I could drive it back..

Used to do that as well.
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby KevofCov » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:23 pm

Scooby doo wrote:Don’t forget to mention that if you’re needing an mot ie yours ran out, then you have to use the nearest one to your postcode, not like back in the day when I use to collect cars from other side of country with a days insurance and booked in for mot closest to my house so I could drive it back..

Crikey - is this real? This is news to me but then I voted Trump......
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Scooby doo » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:18 am

Long gone are the days of just getting a producer from the police and collecting em like stamps..
Mot regs have changed a lot over last two years let alone the 20 iv been driving, tho I still know quite a few mot testers who always like a lil extra on top of the mot fee..
Scooby doo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Keef » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:41 pm

I've been researching this and I can't find ANY evidence of the claims in this thread that

A] if your vehicle fails the MOT before your last MOT expires, the old MOT is no longer valid
As far as I can find, your MOT lasts for a year regardless of any later failures but your vehicle is not roadworthy unless any Dangerous and Major failure points have been rectified.
From May 2018, if your vehicle fails on a Dangerous defect (ie. There is an immediate risk to road safety or the car will have a serious impact on the environment) and you are caught driving it, you can get 3 points and be fined upto £2500 but that is for driving an unroadworthy vehicle and not driving a vehicle with no current MOT. If you get caught twice in 3 years you can get a 6 month ban.
Driving with no MOT is usually dealt with using a £60 fixed penalty and no points unless you choose to go to court.

B] if you’re needing an MOT ie yours ran out, then you have to use the nearest one to your postcode
I can't find any evidence of that anywhere

C] Unless you have a current MOT, your insurance is invalid

So most of it seems to be hearsay but does anyone KNOW any different? if so, post up a link to the official information.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby KevofCov » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:54 pm

Keef wrote:I've been researching this and I can't find ANY evidence of the claims in this thread that

A] if your vehicle fails the MOT before your last MOT expires, the old MOT is no longer valid
As far as I can find, your MOT lasts for a year regardless of any later failures but your vehicle is not roadworthy unless any Dangerous and Major failure points have been rectified.
From May 2018, if your vehicle fails on a Dangerous defect (ie. There is an immediate risk to road safety or the car will have a serious impact on the environment) and you are caught driving it, you can get 3 points and be fined upto £2500 but that is for driving an unroadworthy vehicle and not driving a vehicle with no current MOT. If you get caught twice in 3 years you can get a 6 month ban.
Driving with no MOT is usually dealt with using a £60 fixed penalty and no points unless you choose to go to court.

B] if you’re needing an MOT ie yours ran out, then you have to use the nearest one to your postcode

C] Unless you have a current MOT, your insurance is invalid

So most of it seems to be hearsay but does anyone KNOW any different? if so, post up a link to the official information.

Hi Keef

A) I read about your old cert being cancelled somewhere and it was confirmed by the guy doing my MOT and these guys know stuff.

B) News to me also

C) There is no law that your insurance is no good without a current M.O.T. however your insurance is an agreement between you and your insurers. If you dont have an MOT then they will be very very disappointed if you need their help with any motoring problem....
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dumper » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:17 pm

I wouldn’t say that the mot know stuff and they are right I’ve taken Hgv s Psvs for proper ministry tests and they have tryed to fail me on what they think is right but out with the testers manual and pointing out they are wrong sometimes they have been right so even the ministry tester can be wrong.For years vehicles have been failed at car garages on a opinion of a tester who is only trying to get work for his employer.
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:19 pm

KevofCov wrote:
A) I read about your old cert being cancelled somewhere and it was confirmed by the guy doing my MOT and these guys know stuff.

I disagree, “ Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if:

your current MOT certificate is still valid
no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.

If you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times.”
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby dumper » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:28 pm

Even if a hgv gets stopped in a road side check they can be given a delayed pg9 are able return to their depot to get it repair and taken for a re test
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Talk