*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Recent MOT changes don't make sense

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Recent MOT changes don't make sense

Postby KevofCov » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:07 am

Regarding the recent changes to MOT certs;

For years I have been taking my vehicles for tests a month before due date. If it passes then I get a 13 month MOT cert :D If it fails then I have a month to put things right before I’m off the road.

Now under the recent changes, if I attend a month early and it passes then I again still get a 13 month MOT cert. However if it fails then the my current cert (than I earnt 11 months ago) is automatically cancelled :shock: I have no mot and therefore no insurance cover. I’m off the road.

Seems a backward step.

Best to either go on the day its due or do what I’m going to do and pay for a pre MOT inspection. More expense….
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Recent MOT changes don't make sense

Postby dumper » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:13 am

If you go for a pre inspection you need to get the same guy to do it as one tester may have a different opinion to another .not happen to me but I’ve Heard of been failed again on a different point on the retest by the same testers
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby KevofCov » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:16 am

dumper wrote:If you go for a pre inspection you need to get the same guy to do it as one tester may have a different opinion to another .not happen to me but I’ve Heard of been failed again on a different point on the retest by the same testers

Very good point
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Keef » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:04 pm

I thought it was only if you were on a covid MOT extension that a fail cancelled your existing MOT?
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby ned » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:17 pm

I’m sure it’s been like that for a couple of years as if your vehicle fails it’s mot (even a month early) it’s deemed as in unroadworthy condition, therefor shouldn’t be used on the public highway, a pre mot is good if like me you use the same garage and they only have one tester so it’s always the same guy looking at it.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Keef » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:17 pm

There's no mention of it on the government site but while I was there I found this which I didn't know had come into force either

"This means failures for tyres over 10 years old on the front axle of any vehicles with 9 or more passenger seats, and any single wheels of a minibus (9-16 passenger seats). These vehicles will also fail if they do not display a legible date code on in scope tyres."
Last edited by Keef on Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby dumper » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:18 pm

If you get a major category fail your not allow to drive away from the test centre it’s ether repair at the centre or recovery to garage of your choice.as for insurance unless it’s changed you could drive to a test and back home even if it failed but I would ring the insurance if I ended up in that situation.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:02 pm

Another ditty that you may not know, (unlike me!) is that if you take it for a test 5 weeks early, (or more) is that you will only get 12 months MOT from that date, thus losing the 5 weeks (or more) that you had left.
Quite annoying when you only find out afterwards :evil:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Stumble » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:12 pm

KevofCov wrote:Regarding the recent changes to MOT certs;

For years I have been taking my vehicles for tests a month before due date. If it passes then I get a 13 month MOT cert :D If it fails then I have a month to put things right before I’m off the road.

Now under the recent changes, if I attend a month early and it passes then I again still get a 13 month MOT cert. However if it fails then the my current cert (than I earnt 11 months ago) is automatically cancelled :shock: I have no mot and therefore no insurance cover. I’m off the road.

Seems a backward step.

Best to either go on the day its due or do what I’m going to do and pay for a pre MOT inspection. More expense….

Have you a link to the official wording ? Must admit, I did not know this was happening
Stumble
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Stumble » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:23 pm

Altransit wrote:Another ditty that you may not know, (unlike me!) is that if you take it for a test 5 weeks early, (or more) is that you will only get 12 months MOT from that date, thus losing the 5 weeks (or more) that you had left.
Quite annoying when you only find out afterwards :evil:

Dot Gov says .....
Earliest date you can get an MOT

An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on your current MOT pass certificate.

You can be fined up to £1,000 for driving a vehicle without a valid MOT.

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

Example
If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.

You can get an MOT earlier, but the renewal date for the following year will change to one year (minus a day) from the date the vehicle last passed its MOT.

Example
Your MOT is due to run out on 15 May, so the earliest you can get it done is 16 April. However, you take your vehicle for its MOT on 14 April and it passes. This means that the MOT expiry date changes to 13 April the following year.
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot
Stumble
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Stumble » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:27 pm

KevofCov wrote:Regarding the recent changes to MOT certs;

Seems a backward step.

Dot Gov says ....
Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You can take your vehicle away if:

your current MOT certificate is still valid
no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT

Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.

If you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of road worthiness at all times.
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

So I read that to mean - nothings changed ?
Stumble
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:47 pm

KevofCov wrote:my current cert is automatically cancelled :shock: I have no mot and therefore no insurance cover. I’m off the road.

When did it change so that no MOT meant no insurance?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Chris21r » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:27 pm

No Mot means not roadworthy and shouldn't be on the road. Unless on way to or from the test
They won't pay for an accident but would for theft.
Chris21r
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:07 pm

Chris21r wrote:No Mot means not roadworthy and shouldn't be on the road. Unless on way to or from the test

Not true.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby KevofCov » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:08 pm

Mike wrote:
Chris21r wrote:No Mot means not roadworthy and shouldn't be on the road. Unless on way to or from the test

Not true.

Hi Mike

Insurance is an agreement between you and the underwriters. You agree to maintain many things including a current MOT cert - they agree to cover you against claims by others. Having a valid MOT cert (a roadworthy vehicle) is a cornerstone of this arrangement....
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Transit Talk