*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Converting Transit brakes in to trailer brakes...

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Converting Transit brakes in to trailer brakes...

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:48 pm

Just wondering if anybody had done it before?

I've got half a tipper (i.e. everything from the cab back) which im turning in to a (off road) trailer and im going to convert the axle to have over-run brakes... Being off road it doesn't really need them but the trailer is likely to be heavier than than tractor towing it so it seems like a good idea. I can either find a trailer axle and put it on (which doesn't seem to exist with a high enough load rating with over-run brakes, and would stop me being able to convert the trailer to driven via the tractor PTO) or I can convert the transit brakes to over-run. There is of course also the factor that I like a challenge!

My research has revealed 2 main types of over run brakes, one where the action of reversing slips a "shoe" on the brake shoe to push it away (knott type), and the other has a cam which pulls the shoes away (alko).

The drums on the transit are 280mm dia, whereas the biggest set of brake shoes I can find for either method of operation is 250mm.

At the moment I have bought a pair of "slipper" type shoes, as the method of operation is much much simpler and I should be able to fudge them in with a bit of effort, cutting and welding of the shoes... but lets see what happens!

Any thoughts?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Converting Transit brakes in to trailer brakes...

Postby Chug » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:19 pm

My old 22ft gypsy style caravan and also a car tranpsort trailer I owned had small hydraulic systems that worked the brakes, they looked like a mini type m/c and fluid resevoir.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:52 pm

I would use hydraulic, but then you need to lock the brakes out to reverse... and I can't be bothered with that as its a bit of a climbing frame to get on/off the tractor. Would prefer the challenge of making something work tbh

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Airthies » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:12 pm

Is this to go behind your old tractor? Was it an old fergie you got?

I'd be inclined to go hydraulic with the original brakes. Even overrun brakes have their issues when trying to reverse.
On the hitch add a small hyd ram linked to tractor hydraulics to force coupling forward and hold off brakes.
It wouldn't be automatic as such but simple enough. And probably less engineering than making brakes fit the axle you've got.
But making a backplate and drum to fit the transit axle wouldn't be that hard I'd guess depending on what you use.
Is it a single or twin wheel axle?

I like the idea of driving the axle from the PTO but my concern would be driven speed as that would be very hard to control.
Does the tractor have a dual clutch fitted, one for drive one for PTO?
Best option would be some kind of fluid coupling to provide drive through. Or a motor on the prop fed from tractor hydraulics that you can control flow to. Though you'd need an overrun circuit to ensure the motor doesn't cavitate when trailer is pulled but not driven. Easy enough though with a basic check valve setup or pilot check valve.

I like an out the box project

Sent from my A55ho11 using Crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Chug » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:44 pm

MinorMatt wrote:I would use hydraulic, but then you need to lock the brakes out to reverse... and I can't be bothered with that as its a bit of a climbing frame to get on/off the tractor. Would prefer the challenge of making something work tbh

I used a bit of flat bar with a hook on the end and could reach the reverse lockout bar on the ram of the trailer and flick it in and out of position from the seat :?:
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:28 am

Airthies wrote:Is this to go behind your old tractor? Was it an old fergie you got?

I'd be inclined to go hydraulic with the original brakes. Even overrun brakes have their issues when trying to reverse.
On the hitch add a small hyd ram linked to tractor hydraulics to force coupling forward and hold off brakes.
It wouldn't be automatic as such but simple enough. And probably less engineering than making brakes fit the axle you've got.
But making a backplate and drum to fit the transit axle wouldn't be that hard I'd guess depending on what you use.
Is it a single or twin wheel axle?

I like the idea of driving the axle from the PTO but my concern would be driven speed as that would be very hard to control.
Does the tractor have a dual clutch fitted, one for drive one for PTO?
Best option would be some kind of fluid coupling to provide drive through. Or a motor on the prop fed from tractor hydraulics that you can control flow to. Though you'd need an overrun circuit to ensure the motor doesn't cavitate when trailer is pulled but not driven. Easy enough though with a basic check valve setup or pilot check valve.

I like an out the box project

Sent from my A55ho11 using Crapatalk

Yeah a 1958 35... with a loader frame that hooks up to the rear axle so its like climbing over scaffold every time to get on/off, I think its how I knackered my knee. Its probably also going to be used behind a land rover quite a bit too.

To drive the axle it will have to be flipped, otherwise it will reverse when the tractor is going forwards and vice versa - so I may not get around to that. The tractor itself has a ground speed PTO (i.e. PTO turns X revolutions for every Y rotation of the drive wheels - i.e. PTO speed is proportional to ground speed. I have calculated with the right tyres I could be within 1% of the speed - but it would only be used for short bursts where there isn't enough traction on the actual tractor to pull through, and yes it has a dual stage clutch :)

The small ram idea is an interesting one, but the tractor hydraulics are going to be hooked to the tipper mech on the trailer (in theory).

I was thinking about it a lot when I was trying to go to sleep last night and I don't think its all very feasible.
Chug wrote:
MinorMatt wrote:I would use hydraulic, but then you need to lock the brakes out to reverse... and I can't be bothered with that as its a bit of a climbing frame to get on/off the tractor. Would prefer the challenge of making something work tbh

I used a bit of flat bar with a hook on the end and could reach the reverse lockout bar on the ram of the trailer and flick it in and out of position from the seat :?:

Thats another thing to consider - will have to have a look at the hitch and see how practical it is - not ideal when using it behind the land rover though

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:41 am

Youtube ground drive trailer Matt, you can adapt hydraulic brakes as Iain says.You can also install a diverter valve to change from brakes to tipper at the flick of a lever
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Transit Talk