*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

To fix or not to fix

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

To fix or not to fix

Postby Pathfinder075 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:39 am

My van has sat unused for over a year due to Covid and so i decided to take it for an MOT which it promptly failed. The amount of work that needs doing to it is extensive. So as a sanity check, I wondered what you guys would do.

The van is a 2008 MK7 SWB LR 2.4 TDCi. Was originally going to be converted to a camper and is about 50% converted at present (bed and electrics are in, plus floors, walls, rooflights and solar panels). It had new/reconditioned injectors put in before I bought it. The engine is good and runs ok. The bad points. It needs the whole front strut assembly replacing on both sides, ie, shocks, springs, bearings. All brake discs are rusted to hell and back. The front calipers need replacing. it needs a bunch of welding, mainly at the back behind the wheel arches and the footwells on both sides, although im told only the driver side needs doing if I only have the drivers seat. Total cost if I choose to go ahead is £1780.

Would you repair it or not?

I originally budgeted for £1400 to bring it back on the road. I have the cash to get it repaired. But can't decide if I should. £1800 is a lot of money that I could put away and buy another van with in a year or two once the crazy pandemic prices go away. If I dont repair it I will make a loss, if I do repair it i will probably also make a loss, but might get 3-4 years of use out of it. The other possibility is to fix it, complete the camper conversion and sell it. I am considering this seriously but suspect it may fall to late in the summer, by the time its finished.
Pathfinder075
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: To fix or not to fix

Postby Pathfinder075 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:16 pm

Scratch that. Its not getting repaired. Looking for a new van.
Pathfinder075
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: To fix or not to fix

Postby gotgcoalman » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:46 pm

I do hate loathsome types

Sent from my Plus E using Tapatalk
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Transit Talk