*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Are transits designed for fleet not owners?

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Are transits designed for fleet not owners?

Postby Scottt350 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:45 pm

Hi
Been thinking about this for a while now and spoke with a fair few folk and garages. As in most vans will be replaced 3to 5 years and in that time covered by warrantys etc so mainly fixed by ford or their trusted garages. But long term owners will end up seeing the issues which we all do and why most normal garages say the new generation transits are the worst by far. I own a mk6 its barely bedded in at over a quarter of a million miles and since new has only had 1 alternator a few battery's,tyres the normal stuff and its only issue is sometimes the central locking wont work as she does not want me going to work that day. she wont even accept me plugging in her in as thats violating her but she just works. my previouse mk5 and 4 exactly the same never ever broke down or lost work time. mk8 here we go. in 2 years turbo, turbo actuator, bcm, full brakes lasted a year, too many fuel filters, injectors, leaf springs x4, dpf, catalyst, wiring in general, failing spot welds on body structure. warping body panels like you used to get on old landrovers, water ingress even Noah cant hold back this flood.its an 8 year old van and its completely goosed. so as i say are they now designed for folk to hire or company's to lease then replace. were as if you buy one for longterm business use your totally screwed. just wondering how on earth Ford get away with it or have we created this situation as most folk dont actually own their vehicles anymore. just your thoughts .
Scottt350

Re: Are transits designed for fleet not owners?

Postby hughesyn » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:48 am

What's the alternative though?
We once bought a Fiat and it was a piece of junk.
Due to the lead time on a Transit bought a Vauxhall Movano last year, not a patch on a Transit.

My main problem is the other vans have horrible interiors and aren't very nice to drive.

Ford have now closed the order book for Transits we are having to look at different brands.
None are as nice as a Transit.
2023 Mk8 DCIV 170 auto L3H2
hughesyn
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:05 pm

If Ford continued to make vans that lasted forever they wouldn't sell any new ones

Design life* for a commercial van is 120,000 miles or 6 years IIRC, cars are 100,000 miles or 8 years (all from memory so may be slightly wrong).

Whats happened is that in the last 20 years computational ability has improved to such an extent that they can shave the last penny off every piece of design, whereas previously the validation of design had to be a bit more "overkill" to ensure the design life.

* this isn't saying they will meet these without work, it might be that only 70% do, there will be an allowance for some failures/repairs etc under warantee
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bortaf » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:23 am

lets face it just like in the US in the 70's it's emmisions regs that are killing the reliability of every vehical not just vans, having said that i much prefer my 140 BHP transit over my old Di with 70 BHP ! :lol:
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Talk