*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1989 Asquith Mascot

Members can put pictures of their Transit on here!

1989 Asquith Mascot

Postby Demundz » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:54 pm

20210406_192146.jpg
Hi all and thank you for accepting me into the forum. I have a 1989 Asquith Mascot which is based on a mk3 Transit chassis and is powered by a Pinto 2lt engine. I hope there is enough Transit in it to qualify for this forum.
Dave
20210406_192146.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Demundz

Re: 1989 Asquith Mascot

Postby Chug » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:56 pm

Blimey Dave, blast from my past, I got asked to take a van version(no windoes in sides) away from a dry rot company who used it to advertise their business, I sold it for £300 to a local garage who were gonna fix it up and use it to advertise their garage, but they left it siting there for years and then I heard they scrapped it!

Does your's run and drive and on the road?
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Demundz » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:58 am

Asquith sans roof signs.jpg
Hi Chug, I got lucky with mine, the chassis and undercarriage were in great nick. I had the brakes, tyres and engine overhauled and she sailed through the MOT with no advisories. There are only 35000 miles on the clock and she runs and drives a treat. I'm a little worried about the new E10 fuel though so I'm looking at LPG for both the engine and cooking etc.
The bodywork is all fibreglass and the window frames are teak so no rot there to worry about.
Once LPG is sorted I'll be finishing the inside from the bottom up. I've already raised the roof and grafted on a Danbury pre-formed top so there is standing room in the back now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Demundz

Postby Demundz » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:02 pm

Hi all, I’ve had no joy with LPG because the engineer felt that setting it up with a cross flow carb was hit and miss.
Anyway, upshot is that I’ve been running on E5 fuel…now I’ve noticed that the fuel tank fill pipe is perished. (It’s 33 years old anyway but I feel that the E5 has accelerated the process).
Is there anywhere that sells replacement rubber consumables that will resist perishing with ethanol modified fuels?
I’m likely to need fuel line and carburettor rubber parts.
This is a Mk3 transit with 2lt Pinto engine under a fibreglass shell and I assume the filler pipe is in the original position relative to the tank. (About a foot behind the B post on the near side UK).
Any pointers please.
Demundz

Postby RossGK » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:43 am

That looks fun to drive!
RossGK
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Nordic Blue » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:29 pm

As a surprise Mrs Nordic Blue hired one in 2017 to take me and the groomsmen to the church for our wedding.

At first I wasn't that impressed as it wasn't a van I'd normally like but then got in and saw the Mk2 dash hiding behind the wood panelling cutouts for the heater controls and was a lot happier!

I just spent 20 mins scrolling through my FB photos to see if it might have been the same one as it was the same colours but it wasn't. This one (based in Sussex) had cream all the way down to below the windows and across the top of the bonnet. I know you said yours was a MK3 but thought it worth a try as the second I saw it - it brought back so many memories!

I remember with that square body and wood (and us) weighing it down he barely made it above 55 on the dual carriageway.... I also remember the rear seats were like oversprung bar sofas with bathmat covers on, so was a bouncy ride!

Would rather have a real MK2 but it certainly made my day!

All the best with it!
2009 Renault Trafic Sport Crew Cab

Vans I have also owned:
1982 MK 2 SWB Transit
1992 Fiat Ducato
1993 MK 4 SWB Transit
2005 MK 6 SWB T280 Transit
Nordic Blue
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Members Transits Gallery!