*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Byuing Transit Mk5 2.5 di

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Byuing Transit Mk5 2.5 di

Postby Ransettimies » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:01 pm

Hello

This forum is awesome and ive learned lot. Im sorry if these questions are frequently asked but i didnt find these at search.

Im looking to buy 2.5 di n/a transit.

How long injectors usually last? Are those serviceable? What are most common problems when injectors gone bad? That pencill type injector is new for me.

And can you read fault codes n/a engine or is it just with td with epic?

Im looking for 300-400 000 km driven vehicles so if there is another common to check. I know rust problems and example clutch can be worn but if there is something else which usually breaks about that mileage im glad to hear.

And is there some vin decoder or something tag to clarify is there locker at rear end? And how common it is? Is it limited slip with disks or eaton style or?

Thank you
Ransettimies
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Byuing Transit Mk5 2.5 di

Postby dumper » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:19 pm

The injector can be stripped down local diesel shop did mine biggest problem was getting them out changed 3 at the shop but no 4 wouldn’t come out ended up removing the head to get it out I think they hadn’t been out and had done 300000 miles
When I wanted a LSD for my mk 3 only place I could find one was a ZF one from Ford Mk 5 not sure but I think some ambulances had them maybe able to find a used one
Rust is a problem more transits died of it then mechanical problems.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:01 am

Ransettimies wrote:Hello

This forum is awesome and ive learned lot. Im sorry if these questions are frequently asked but i didnt find these at search.

How long injectors usually last? Are those serviceable? What are most common problems when injectors gone bad? That pencill type injector is new for me.

Injectors last pretty much forever - but they are not serviceable as the nozzle is part of the body of the injector

Only TD/Petrol has engine fault codes, the non turbos are entirely mechanical (except 12V to to stop solenoid). They do have a diagnostic connector for key programming/ABS/Airbags etc though

Im looking for 300-400 000 km driven vehicles so if there is another common to check. I know rust problems and example clutch can be worn but if there is something else which usually breaks about that mileage im glad to hear.

Engines and gearboxes last pretty much forever, cambelt is 80,000km or 5 years, axles frequently whine - but its not a source of likely failure. Biggest issue is rust. With practice a clutch can be changed in 45mins, so thats not really a massive issue

And is there some vin decoder or something tag to clarify is there locker at rear end? And how common it is? Is it limited slip with disks or eaton style or?

Yes - The VIN plate in the footwell will tell you if it left the factory with an LSD (they are plate type) - look in the "how to decode the mk4/5 vin plate" topic in "Useful Information". How common they are depends on the market you are in. They are very rare in the UK, but less so elsewhere.

Thank you
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dumper » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:43 am

Hi Matt when the local shop that did all the pumps and injection for work did mine they put them on the tester and the spray pattern was off they striped them but I can’t remember but I think they lapped the nozzles in like they did with the old style injectors put them back on the test rig and the spray pattern was perfect I can’t remember if the adjusted the break off pressure this they did as I watched them do it .
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ransettimies » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:58 pm

MinorMatt wrote:

Injectors last pretty much forever - but they are not serviceable as the nozzle is part of the body of the injector

Only TD/Petrol has engine fault codes, the non turbos are entirely mechanical (except 12V to to stop solenoid). They do have a diagnostic connector for key programming/ABS/Airbags etc though

Engines and gearboxes last pretty much forever, cambelt is 80,000km or 5 years, axles frequently whine - but its not a source of likely failure. Biggest issue is rust. With practice a clutch can be changed in 45mins, so thats not really a massive issue

Yes - The VIN plate in the footwell will tell you if it left the factory with an LSD (they are plate type) - look in the "how to decode the mk4/5 vin plate" topic in "Useful Information". How common they are depends on the market you are in. They are very rare in the UK, but less so elsewhere.

Thank you
Thanks to you and dumper also

Yeah so i need to see vin plate box 6 to identify rear axle.

Box 12 was suspension, what softer ride means? Just little bit smoother for bus models or?

I live in finland so rust is big thing but also rear locker is allmost must have in rwd + winter.
Ransettimies
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:36 am

Ransettimies wrote:
MinorMatt wrote:

Thank you
Thanks to you and dumper also

Yeah so i need to see vin plate box 6 to identify rear axle.

Box 12 was suspension, what softer ride means? Just little bit smoother for bus models or?

I live in finland so rust is big thing but also rear locker is allmost must have in rwd + winter.

In Finland, there is a good chance you have an LSD :)
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ransettimies » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:07 pm

Now i bought 95 semi high roof and lwb model with 2.5 di n/a.

Maybe i do own topic or continue asking when something comes at technical topic at forum.
Ransettimies
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Buyers Guide