*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Motorcycles and Transits

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Motorcycles and Transits

Postby Possu » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Thought I'd post up my experiences of buying a Transit earlier this year with the intention of using it to transport bikes in the back.

I bought an ex-RAC MK7 Transit T330 (SWB), I was attracted by the high spec (EM, EW, A/C, heated screen, tintented glass, fogs etc) plus it had a tailgate and towbar which I liked as I still have a trailer. The problems arose when I came to put enduro bikes in the back - they wouldn't fit, they were too tall. Turned out that the RWD vans not only have about 4" less internal height in the rear but the load height is significantly higher due to the raised floor (due to RWD), the larger 16" wheels and the stiffer suspension. I'd hired a FWD T260 prior to buying the RWD van and the bikes rolled straight in but was unaware of these crucial differences between the two when I purchased the T330.

I couldn't get on with the van, compressing the suspension just to get the bikes in coupled with greater effort of pushing the bike up a steep ramp began to annoy me to the extent that I sold the T330 recently and replaced it with a MK7 T260 with FWD. Far happier with this van, loading bikes is a doddle due to the lower internal floor re: FWD, softer suspension and 15" wheels plus the softer suspension gives a plusher ride in comparison.

The other downside of ex-RAC vans is the very low rear diff ratio which leads to poor fuel consumption and reduced cruising speeds. Mine did 67mph at 3,000rpm, the replacement does 80mph at 3,000rpm with a significant improvement in mpg plus more relaxed cruisng speeds and it's faster both through the gears and top end.

Last point, the RAC fitted stereo is crap in comparison with the stock Ford item.

My thoughts, for what they're worth.
Possu
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Motorcycles and Transits

Postby blue meanie » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:09 am

i use mine as a harley davidson recovery vehicle and cart my dirt bike about.the only hastle is my harley is damn heavy and hatefull to get up a ramp.if i had ape hanger bars it wouldnt fit at all.my pal has a mk4 hi roof and its a dream to load bikes...harleys are like bull terriers....they love to ride in the back of vans
I'D RATHER PUSH MY TRANSIT THAN DRIVE A BEDFORD
blue meanie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Buyers Guide