*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

All rounder

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

All rounder

Postby exlabman » Wed May 29, 2013 4:50 pm

Hi,
My dad tried to turn his camper van into a convertible, a write off.
He has a budget of 5K and wants to get a van to use for every day transport to work, trips out with the dog and to sleep in some weekends when loaded with viking re-enactment gear. He doesn't want another camper as he only uses the bed, which we can soon bodge up.
Really not sure about engine choices, petrol or diesel would prob be fine, wants to plod along. Reliable and easy to maintain are a must (planning on doing own basic servicing), then economy.
Would be useful to have a few extra seats, have seen it can be possible to add 2-3 seats but can be difficult to get through insurance inspection (I have looked through posts before diving in), so crew cab may be an option.

Most I have seen advertised are high milers, what is the life expectancy of the engine choices and are their large bills for cam belts etc or are they chains?
Should we be put off by 100K plus engines or do they go on forever?

Off looking this weekend (yorkshire, nottinghamshire), any hints and tips most welcome.

Cheers
David
exlabman

Return to Buyers Guide