*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Possible purchase on a mk7 transit advice

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Possible purchase on a mk7 transit advice

Postby lone wolf » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:21 am

Hi guys

First post on here and im looking forward to being on here i have been reading threads for a while but not joined up........and here i am.

My 2006 transit connect has now gone and i have £1300 for a new van for work, im looking at doing some styling and engine work (for future reliability ) im going to see a 2007 transit which has 130,000 on the clock..........all good till i checked online and the mileage was recorded at 192,000 in a previous year.

Now the seller says he bought the van from a garage that the owner personally used to pick up/deliver engines as part of the business, he swapped the engine out and dash as the original engine had high miles, he done this himself as its his bread and butter and as such has no paperwork to back up this engine swap.

Can you guys give me any advice on this transit please? Its a gamble and as its my works van i dont want to buying into a transit thats not as described......the mileage is its key selling point for me.

Kindest regards Gareth

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
lone wolf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Possible purchase on a mk7 transit advice

Postby Punto443 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:38 am

There are millions of decent transits out there.

If it was genuine, he’d have told you at the start and not waited until you caught him out :roll:

Check for poor idle, rust, oil leaks around the injectors and make sure all the lights light up and extinguish as they should on start up.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby lone wolf » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:43 am

Punto443 wrote:There are millions of decent transits out there.

If it was genuine, he’d have told you at the start and not waited until you caught him out :roll:

Check for poor idle, rust, oil leaks around the injectors and make sure all the lights light up and extinguish as they should on start up.
Thanks punto

To be fair he did say about the mileage so i dont doubt him, its just the thought that a lower reading dash was put onto a high mile engine........if thats even possible

I have found myself bitten by the transit bug and want to invest into one as a ling term keeper.

Should i buy this van what sort of things could i do to it for peace of mind regarding the engine? New timing belt?

Regards Gareth

lone wolf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Punto443 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Mileage can be altered easily, and the engine has a chain
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby lone wolf » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Punto443 wrote:Mileage can be altered easily, and the engine has a chain
Thanks for confirming my fears, i have read about chains so things are marking sense now...... my experiences with working and understanding engines is very very limited, i did change the starter motor on my connect which i was pleased with

lone wolf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby lone wolf » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Well had it out for a drive, no noticeable juddering or noises and pulled well.

Has faded markings on the dash of the reg when the engine was swapped( or not)

Leaking oil, i dont know where from?

As i was there chatting to the seller another potential buyer came and started it up reved it a few times and bought it!

My mind is at ease as the risk was removed from my decision..........on the look out for a transit up to £1400 ImageImage

lone wolf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:59 pm

lone wolf wrote:Well had it out for a drive, no noticeable juddering or noises and pulled well.

As i was there chatting to the seller another potential buyer came and started it up reved it a few times and bought it!

My mind is at ease as the risk was removed from my decision..........on the look out for a transit up to £1400 ImageImage

Buy yourself a lotto ticket as your luck is in big time :idea: If the underneath is anything like the brake pipe it will be in a heap 100 yards down the road :shock:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby lone wolf » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:31 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:
lone wolf wrote:Well had it out for a drive, no noticeable juddering or noises and pulled well.

Buy yourself a lotto ticket as your luck is in big time :idea: If the underneath is anything like the brake pipe it will be in a heap 100 yards down the road :shock:
i feel better now! Thanks

Im really excited to get a bigger van as my connect was to small, i was worried i may just rush in and buy the first transit i saw

lone wolf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby lone wolf » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:32 pm

So after seeing a few more transits i have just come away from a 57 plate semi hi top

148,000 on the clock
Nice roof rack and racking in the back
Drove nice with no noticable noises
No change in engine sound when clutch pressed in when idle.

Happy days

Now the engine management light was on and i was told its because it had been re-mapped?

The brake light was on and i was told it may not have been re connected after having the brakes done?

These two things are my only concern so if anyone can shed any light i would be very grateful indeed.......all being well i can pick the van up Saturday.

Cheers

lone wolf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:40 pm

lone wolf wrote:Now the engine management light was on and i was told its because it had been re-mapped?

The brake light was on and i was told it may not have been re connected after having the brakes done?

Is he having a laugh :?

Both are MOT fail points, so walk away from this unless it's fixed properly before you drive it :roll:

P.S. (Mine has been remapped, but doesn't have any lights on)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby lone wolf » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Great just when i thought i was going to be back on the road

As you do i have looked online and theres a few instances where re-maps have left the engine management light one and a further code needed to clear it, i may have to get a code reader to see if theres another problem lurking there.

I dont mind if i have to put some money into the brakes to clear that light, my main worry is the engine light

Will ask him to confirm the re-map with paper work, it passed its mot in may this year so it must have been done recently.

Cheers!

lone wolf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:34 pm

Did you check it for.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. RUST :?:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Engine management light on and brake warning light on :shock: just hope it doesn't end up one of these :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:51 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Did you check it for .......RUST :?:

It's a Transit, why would you bother looking for rust :?: :roll: :mrgreen: :lol: :oops:

Seriously, only a dodgy amateurish remap would leave the engine light on, and with this engine sometimes being prone to piston failure from overfuelling, I would be wary of any fiddling with the fuelling, that's not been done correctly :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:52 pm

ned wrote:Engine management light on and brake warning light on :shock: just hope it doesn't end up one of these :wink:

Whats it like having one of those Ned :?: :P
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Buyers Guide