*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit (or other) for removals and towing.

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit (or other) for removals and towing.

Postby daddio1977 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:29 pm

Evenin’ all,

Apologies as this is a bit long, but I could do with some advice on what “prime mover” to get please? Or if my plan is even possible? Or any good advice at all?

We recently converted from a 7 seater MPV to a 2010 2.2tdci SWB low roof 9 seater Transit and wouldn’t go back now. Would like to get a second Transit for a move abroad, but open to other suggestions.

Me and the family are moving from UK to Portugal in the very near future and taking our 9 seater Transit with us. I was going to ditch most furniture and white goods and buy new locally, simply driving down with what I could fit in the van with a 2 tonne trailer on the back, but have had to be a bit more realistic with costs and taking more with us as time goes on. I passed my driving test before Jan 1997, so understand that I can drive a combination of vehicle and trailer up to 12 tonne (B+E and C1+E) and am confident to do so, which got me thinking....……instead of paying £4000+ for removal firm and £2000-ish for a 2 tonne trailer, I could save money and hassle by either:

1. Get a 3.5 tonne trailer instead of the 2 tonne (I’m buying a trailer anyway).
2. Load 9 seater Transit, motorbike and few other bits on the trailer.
3. Get a £2000ish LWB medium/high roof (maybe even 17 seater minibus) or Jumbo to load house in back and tow the trailer. Max all up of around 6-7 tonne.

OR:

1. Get a 3.5 tonne trailer instead of the 2 tonne.
2. Load 9 seater Transit, motorbike and few other bits on the trailer.
3. Get a £2000ish LGV to take me closer to the 12 tonne limit.

The 9 seater will stay as our main transport, the “spare” will become either my workhorse or get converted into a campervan for me and the Mrs.

So my questions are:

1. What do you think of the plan and which option would you go for?
2. What make/model of van/LGV/etc for towing would you use?
3. Any other advice?

Many thanks in advance.
daddio1977

Re: Transit (or other) for removals and towing.

Postby Altransit » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 pm

You'll need to check the weight plate on the 9 seater, but I'm pretty sure that the max train weight will be 3500kg; so with the van itself loaded to around 2600kg, you're looking at a tow weight of (GTW-GVW) only 900kg (all of these actual figures will be on the weight plate)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Re: Transit (or other) for removals and towing.

Postby daddio1977 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:32 pm

Altransit wrote:You'll need to check the weight plate on the 9 seater, but I'm pretty sure that the max train weight will be 3500kg; so with the van itself loaded to around 2600kg, you're looking at a tow weight of (GTW-GVW) only 900kg (all of these actual figures will be on the weight plate)

Cheers mate, I did the calcs for the 9 seater and trailer a few weeks ago, there's not much room or weight left and why I'm having a rethink about getting a bigger van and bigger trailer so I can load the 9 seater on the trailer.
daddio1977

Return to Buyers Guide