*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK7 noob

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

MK7 noob

Postby Noparkingbert » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:00 am

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a van, and I'm still not sure what to get, but a Transit MK7 is on top of the list.
This would be my first van and I've got about €6500(£6000) to spend.
I'm doubting between a Peugeot Boxer or a Transit but I know nothing about the Ford...
It's not for professional use, but I will have a motorcycle in it every now and then and I would like to travel a little with it(low comfort).
The main benefit of the Peugeot would be the bigger loading space, but a Transit with a high or medium roof might be good too.
Although a big loading space is handy, it is not something that I'll need often so I'm still doubting about just getting a compact van or not.
I was just wondering if it would even be possible to load a 250kg motorcycle in a low roof van when I can't stand up?

What I'm hoping to find out here is what I have to look out for when buying a MK7(preferably euro5)...
Are there certain engines that are specifically good or bad, certain typical places where I have to watch out for rust, and so on...
A friend of mine is a Peugeot mechanic, according to him the 2.2 engines in the Peugeot are Ford Puma engines, which often have problems with the heads.
I was wondering if the Transit uses the same engine and if this problem is really that typical or not?
He told me there's plastic around the head that can crack causing the injectors to fail which is obviously very expensive to mend.
I have to admit that he doesn't recommend a Peugeot, but I've been driving my old 406 for about 16 years without real issues so I still am a fan of the brand.
He told me to buy an Opel(Vauxhall) because of his past experience with the brand admitting he doesn't now a thing about Ford's...

So I've come here seeking for information.
Basically anything that could help me get the best possible van(technically and sizewise) would help me out a lot!
Thanks in advance and hopefully I'll get to show you my purchase in the near future...
Noparkingbert

Re: MK7 noob

Postby Noparkingbert » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:18 pm

Anybody?
I could really use some help here...
Thanks!
Noparkingbert

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:25 am

Semi high would be much better for loading, and FWD has a lower floor that RWD - so maybe look at front wheel drive ones?

There was an issue with Euro 5 and oil pumps - but everything affected had a recall. There were issues where the highest power variants were cracking pistons. This seemed to mainly be in campers for some reason? It wasn't that common, but again Ford did a recall/software update and its now rare to hear of it.

Personally I wouldn't buy the highest power version, just because that's where the engine is most stressed - but that's just my thoughts.

The most common issue is that they hunt at idle, which requires a new Suction Control Valve (SCV) and Pressure Control Valve (PCV) and then a software calibration to bring it back in to spec. Sometimes it will need an injector or 2 at the same time.

I am not sure where the plastic cracking/injector issue he is talking about is coming from?

Generally speaking - if you find one that feels like its been looked after, it will be a great van. If you get one that's been ragged and abused you will probably have issues!

How much help that is - I don't know?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Noparkingbert » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:29 am

Thanks for the information.
I would always look for a decently maintained vehicle that hasn't got the biggest engine anyway, so that's good.
Besides that I'll try an find a fwd version with a medium roof, which will indeed be the best choice for me.

The main thing I'll have to look out for engine-wise will be that it doesn't hunt at idle.
Or at least I can find out if the valves and injectors already have been replaced in the past...
This definitely has been helpful, so thanks!
Noparkingbert

Return to Buyers Guide