*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Second hand van advice

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Second hand van advice

Postby larry82 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:02 pm

Hi folks,

I realise I may get a slightly biased view here but still seemed like a good place to ask :)

I'm basically looking to buy a L3H2 second hand van for removals/courier work and just wanted to run my thinking past people who knew a lot more about them. I've narrowed it down to spending around 12k + vat (I'll be financing), from a reputable dealer who offer some kind of warranty and/or RAC check, and looking at vans 2017/18, ply lined, ulez compliant, 70,000 - 90,000 miles. With fairly decent tidy bodywork but don't mind the odd ding.

So it's really down to - Ford Transit, Citron Relay, Renault Masters or Vauxhall Movano. I understand that the Relay and Masters are essentially the same van just with a different badge? And that you pay a little extra for a Ford.

I really like the Transits having driven a few but I'm just wondering whether it's worth paying the bit extra, if you get anything more for that such as reliability or cost of parts, servicing etc or whether it's just the name?

So was just wondering what people thought really, if I've thought this through properly or missed anything glaring? It's a fairly big purchase so really looking to get this right and hoping to get 50,000 miles out of it without too much outlay and possibly closer to 100,000 fingers crossed.

Any advice and wisdom much appreciated...
larry82

Re: Second hand van advice

Postby Chug » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:43 pm

Doesn't matter the make really, the important thing is regular servicing and maintenance, fixing things before they wear out, same as with houses, example....buy a new van and do not much to it but drive it and its scrap in a few years, BUT clean it, service it and look after it and it keeps on going and going.
I think you hear more stories about Ford problems because they have had the van market for many years and have the bigger share of the sales, and on the other hand more people know how to fix them and more people stock parts.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Buyers Guide